Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, hot weather, dry, mild, gale force winds
3 minutes ago, YellowSnow said:

On a more positive note, we might be mild and dry soon thanks to the lovely Bartlett high.

Oh yes please... Which charts are showing this? Fed up of the cold now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
1 minute ago, NPA said:

Oh yes please... Which charts are showing this? Fed up of the cold now!

GFS. I’m just fed up with the cold damp and rain. A nice dry and mild spell would do me a treat. 

Posted

Yellow snow. Love that if it was mild and dry. Reminds me of winter 88/89 which for cold haters like me was bliss. Constantly highs of 12/13 and no frosts or snow. April 89 was cold but May 89 to October 89 was one of the best summers ever!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yellow snow. Love that if it was mild and dry. Reminds me of winter 88/89 which for cold haters like me was bliss. Constantly highs of 12/13 and no frosts or snow. April 89 was cold but May 89 to October 89 was one of the best summers ever!

As someone who worked outside all the time during those years, I concur that it was bliss. The only downside was constant gales all the time especially in the following year. It seemed almost relentless. 

Posted

Most severe January in a long time; top 10, blah, blah; obviously the 'kid' wasnt around for '79, '81, '10.

New kids on the block bigging up 10-day future charts. 

What a social 'case study' this place remains, year after year. Laughable at times.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I wouldn't mind so much if it was cold and dry. But all we get is cold and wet. And looking at the next 10 days on BBC yet another low sinking down in to the jet stream. Continues the cold and wet. Might as well be mild and wet. It's just wet.

...and to top it all off we have unbearably smug posters who live at like 200m+ demanding that we feel happy for them.  They need to stop trying to make that happen, it's not going to happen.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms
22 minutes ago, one way or the other said:

...and to top it all off we have unbearably smug posters who live at like 200m+ demanding that we feel happy for them.  They need to stop trying to make that happen, it's not going to happen.

Hey! not all of us 200m+ peeps are smug!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Trying living somewhere where the last disruptive snow was Feb 1994 which ground the City Centre to a halt. 

Then moan.

Remember that famous picture from 2010 and the UK snow? Guess who lived in the Green bit? 

Edited by philglossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Chill and repeat lol

is this a new meteorological pattern..... cool pooling?

as much as I love following the models... imy, it’s produced all the same result... cold rain!

lets hope 2021 brings anything but lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

If fence sitting was a weather symbol....

20210102_071932.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

I’m a weather enthusiast as opposed to having any real understanding of the charts etc but one thing I do know; model output seems as useful as a chocolate teapot. People talking even at 120/144h what the weather will do, I don’t trust forecasts even at 24/48h, more often than not even then they're wrong. It’s nice looking at the pretty colours on the charts but about as likely to verify as Jennifer Anniston turning up on my doorstep begging me to take her on....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
8 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Most severe January in a long time; top 10, blah, blah; obviously the 'kid' wasnt around for '79, '81, '10.

New kids on the block bigging up 10-day future charts. 

What a social 'case study' this place remains, year after year. Laughable at times.

I agree and some people got their knickers in a twist when I pointed this out in the Model Output. They are a funny bunch in here sometimes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, philglossop said:

If fence sitting was a weather symbol....

20210102_071932.jpg

seems useless but is it? for Stafford next 10 days just a white cloud, no sun, snow or rain, could be right, dry dull and boring upto 12th Jan

Posted

That and people miss what is actually in front of them. Falling snow in Edinburgh near enough every day this week, snow right now across north east England.  North Wales, Northern Ireland been getting it as well .. snowiest spell here for years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It's pleasing to read a glimmer of hope from Nick Sussex on the mod thread.

And, BBC Weather hinting at snow later next week, probably Scotland & Northern England from Northerly blast?

But, I just get the feeling that we are not going to hit the jackpot anytime soon! ☹️

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

great weather so exciting, but GFS operational how many times now shown a crap FI? getting milder with boring dry high pressure, and not dumping followed by rain

can it be discounted? umpteen runs now

• Like 1

Posted

It is quite amusing that yesterday the prevailing wisdom was the the ECM modelled the start changes better so it was wise to pay attention it (of course the output was cold) and today it is canon fodder....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, JoeShmoe said:

It is quite amusing that yesterday the prevailing wisdom was the the ECM modelled the start changes better so it was wise to pay attention it (of course the output was cold) and today it is canon fodder....

Aye, the 'prevailing wisdom' seems to change with every single model-run... But, at least the MOD thread isn't cluttered with 'BOOM' posts? Amazing how a few 'boring' runs can quiet the place down!?:santa-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Still waiting for anything of note (ie more than a few wet, sleety flakes) to happen here.  So far, for me IMBY, it's looking like;

- cold with some patchy, showery rain around at times over the weekend, mostly dry though.

- cold next week but mostly dry, some rain possible early in the week, maybe sleet if I'm lucky.

- less cold from next weekend into the following week with more rain around.

Roll on Spring, at least the rain is warmer then and possibly thundery.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Keep an eye on the track of this precipitation it's full of heavy snow. Anyone who's under its track will get a surprise covering.

2081659612_Screenshot_2021-01-02WeatherRadar-LiveUKRainfallRadar-5MinuteUpdates-Netweather(1).thumb.png.eb764b7423969c8e91b63aae73f1f085.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Not looking good for the South East next week as usual according to the BBC with Monday seeing longer spells of rain in Kent and mainly dry here in Berkshire but cold.

What a waste of winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
45 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Not looking good for the South East next week as usual according to the BBC with Monday seeing longer spells of rain in Kent and mainly dry here in Berkshire but cold.

What a waste of winter.

Feel for those on here who've wasted 10s of hours studying pointless model output in attempts to find something that will never happen. 

• Like 3