Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Keeping away from the model thread today.

It's getting highly mundane with people's constant detailed analysis of troughs and shortwaves on day 10 charts. Why don't people just use it as a trend and give details on more realistic time framed charts.

It seems that some people constantly chase that day 10 chart and it could be blowing a blizzard outside but they would miss it just for that "told you so moment". 

Rant over

Edited by AdrianHull
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Happy new year to all folks on here. My hope as usual is for a return of mild west/south westerlies. I hate snow and ice with a vengeance and where I live has just so happened to have been in the firing line 2 days running on Monday and Tuesday morning for about 3 or 4 inches of snow. Now the pavements/side roads are just death traps. Snow ice compacted. Glad for the kids and all that who love it but I will be glad when it melts and goes away.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme events.

The beginning of the breakdown begins.....past experience tells me that more than anything else begins. Been here way too many times to even care! A brief cold snap yes, but nothing in terms of widespread snowfall ahead. Oh well it was entertaining at least! WE will never learn.......Happy new year folks!

• Like 1

The GFS seems consistent in bringing milder weather at the end of its runs, has been for days, that's coming into view in ECMWF now too.  But it's irrelevant because the people who develop the numerical simulations know absolutely nothing about the stratosphere, which is what I'm apparently supposed to believe.  Meanwhile, some heavy rain in Darlo last night, from a NNEasterly in the heart of winter.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

The BBC isn't a model - Mutt Hugo isn't a model (apologies if he does this on the side), but this is the model discussion thread!

Happy New Year. 

That's a bit harsh... @MattHugo I reckon could look good on a cat walk!

Happy New Year! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, one way or the other said:

a lot of passive aggressive 'Happy New Years' being thrown around this morning

Confused? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Happy new year to all folks on here. My hope as usual is for a return of mild west/south westerlies. I hate snow and ice with a vengeance and where I live has just so happened to have been in the firing line 2 days running on Monday and Tuesday morning for about 3 or 4 inches of snow. Now the pavements/side roads are just death traps. Snow ice compacted. Glad for the kids and all that who love it but I will be glad when it melts and goes away.

you on a wind up? must be if you hope for them! come on it's not often we get snow, enjoy it while it's here!

Posted
1 hour ago, one way or the other said:

Meanwhile, some heavy rain in Darlo last night, from a NNEasterly in the heart of winter.

It was the most ridiculous thing ever. If not even a NNE easterly ,in the heart of winter ,at night ,with frozen ground everywhere can produce snow in the north-east anymore I think it means that it's really time to give up.

This damn global warming has really ruined everything. 

• Like 3

Posted

Yes, I think it's difficult to remain optimistic about UK winters in terms of very cold, snowy conditions.

Obviously, it's still possible that very cold air and wintry conditions could reach UK sometime in the future.

But, when you look at the current pattern, it's so hard to accept that there's just not enough deep cold air in the correct place for us to benefit.

Yet another, close but no cigar!

And, it looks like we will lose the advantage and a return to more normal pattern after next week.

Hopefully, SSW events might produce something more exciting in few weeks time, who knows?

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

even with easterly winds you need the correct set-up or you get less cold conditions,with winds from a warmer source and not directly from Siberia,the  Easterly..winds are sourced from the med next week,hence not as cold as they could be..yet.

I hate how in uk everything has to be perfect to get deep cold and snow to low-levels,fantastic in the highlands now,but cant travel there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
6 minutes ago, Frostymornings said:

Been lurking on this forum for a couple years so thought I’d join! this winter is looking positive! 

Welcome. Yes some great output and looking cold going forward.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
33 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

For what exactly? A mild beast from the west ?

I believe it's called the "Pest from the West".

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes indeed , not everyone has to be a snow and ice lover ,  I detest it , not great when you have to travel to 15miles to work early mornings on untreated roads wondering weather you will actually get there in one piece, you can be as careful as you want , but there is the risk of other idiots smashing into you ,  plus inevitably snow goes grey , messy and slushy  after a while.    More of a storms/thunder person myself ,  I know that can bring flash flooding and the associated misery or wind damage ,  but any weather types has risks .  

Posted
48 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

And, it looks like we will lose the advantage and a return to more normal pattern after next week.

Really? , I dont see it ,   west based atlantic zonalty off the menu at the moment at least 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
30 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

even with easterly winds you need the correct set-up or you get less cold conditions,with winds from a warmer source and not directly from Siberia,the  Easterly..winds are sourced from the med next week,hence not as cold as they could be..yet.

I hate how in uk everything has to be perfect to get deep cold and snow to low-levels,fantastic in the highlands now,but cant travel there!

I think you’ll find the air being sourced in the Med will also have adverse effects across the continent, perhaps more so being closer to the source. We’re not alone.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The level of despondency in this thread is pretty incredible. After reading the comments from yesterday I turned to the model thread fearing a return to South westerlies.. we keep -4 to -8 uppers for a week. 

One admits it's not perfect but actually most people don't live at 0m on the coast so for me some of you are being far negative.

It's cold, it will probably snow even of it might melt and we may improve over time.

As for the UK climate, you only have to think of 2018 for proof that uppers are not forever going to be close to marginal.

• Like 1

Posted

This Easterly will just turn out to be another damp squib, No sign of sign of snow, Met Eireann are suggesting showes of Rain on Monday along the East coast of Leinster

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

The level of despondency in this thread is pretty incredible. After reading the comments from yesterday I turned to the model thread fearing a return to South westerlies.. we keep -4 to -8 uppers for a week. 

One admits it's not perfect but actually most people don't live at 0m on the coast so for me some of you are being far negative.

It's cold, it will probably snow even of it might melt and we may improve over time.

As for the UK climate, you only have to think of 2018 for proof that uppers are not forever going to be close to marginal.

I think it's just frustration tinged with impatience and what could have been SB

With the current sort of set-up, I would be expecting at least -10 uppers with frequent snow showers into my part of Kent.

Instead, with the projected Easterly we are only going to see wintry showers most of which are likely to be rain or sleet. ☹️ 

I hate that type of weather!

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1