Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

For some in northern Britain including parts of Midlands it’s been snowier than expected. Here close to central London the current temp is 1C after a low of -2C which was easily my coldest temp of 2020. Nice seasonal winter weather, which should hopefully help with lowering SSTs and ground temps. 

Oh absolutely, it's been lovely and seasonal.

• Like 1

Posted

We seem to have a lot of posters on here falling into the trap of commenting on the massive swings in each run and react accordingly, this is the quickest way to a nervous breakdown.

Many moons ago a well respected poster said to compare runs, I.e yesterday’s 6z with today’s 6z for a better idea of where things are going! I don’t know the science behind the runs but it does seem to work!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
4 minutes ago, Cuban Zebra said:

We seem to have a lot of posters on here falling into the trap of commenting on the massive swings in each run and react accordingly, this is the quickest way to a nervous breakdown.

Many moons ago a well respected poster said to compare runs, I.e yesterday’s 6z with today’s 6z for a better idea of where things are going! I don’t know the science behind the runs but it does seem to work!

Good advice  and some fall for bbc and other weather apps showing a degree or two temperature rise 7 to 10 days away.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Nice cold, sunny weather at the moment.  If we can't have any more snow this is the next best thing.  

• Like 2

Posted

The MetO have been steadfast in high pressure dropping south next week and it becoming dry and cold, despite the fantasy charts ... kudos to them if they have been calling this right the whole time 

• Like 6

Posted

Well, interesting to see what the main players come up with this afternoon, because if the update from those we cant mention here is anyway near the mark, we had may as well all go to the school of learning to read weather charts! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, JoeShmoe said:

The MetO have been steadfast in high pressure dropping south next week and it becoming dry and cold, despite the fantasy charts ... kudos to them if they have been calling this right the whole time 

It's already dry and cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
1 minute ago, JoeShmoe said:

I'd honestly take it all day, just don't want that easterly and horrible cold rain. If it's not gonna be cold enough for snow, let's just keep it cold and dry at the surface.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
4 minutes ago, Day_9 said:

That’s it, all unraveling after so much prolonged trending of cold.  

Source of this info: trust me bro.

Can you at least support your comments with some data and charts before posting random and unsubstantiated comments like this?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I know there have been a few messages mentioning that the models are showing some "less cold" conditions, but this doesn't mean mild. It also doesn't mean they will be accurate. Yesterday the met office and bbc forecast temps in the SE to be between 4c - 6c, this morning it was 3c - 5c, but if you look at the current temps, most places have barely made it to 0c. In my neck of the woods (nearest weather station is Kenley) yesterday it showed it would be 4c today, this morning that was down to 1c, and in reality it has only got to -1c (so far). If there is 2c difference in the nowcast, that variability is more than likely in 10 days time.

i'm sure snow will arrive, it is just a question of when rather than if.

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Looks precisely what the METO were  banging on about a week or so ago, high pressure over the UK for the beginning of January. 

Plenty of places that have been deluged and flooded will be very grateful for a prolonged dry spell. A uk high would do the job. 

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yes, easterly incoming.

Yes an Easterly is incoming.

But no snow, the air has a mix  of warmer European air.

Also the North Sea, is above average temperature at the moment

This will result in Rain I am afraid

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Cuban Zebra said:

Why are people picking out 384 hr charts and stating them as fact that the cold won’t be happening! 

There is so much to play for in the short term!!!! Just enjoy and stop looking for the end before it starts!!

Who's stating facts? Should all be taken as fun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Certain kind of fool said:

Plenty of places that have been deluged and flooded will be very grateful for a prolonged dry spell. A uk high would do the job. 

no ta! quarantine, I want cold and snow, high can wait until April when we're back in tier 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul_1978 said:

354 hours away - who cares!

Relax Paul, it's the fun part, nobody mentioned having a care, just fantastic charts, I'm not insane! 

Enjoy your new year's, live and let live and all that x

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Seems to be alot of runs now that have diluted any depth of cold in the 5th to 10th January time frame.

It certainly isn't a comment on 'just one run' rather a trend across most models in the last 48hrs.

Any trend can of course change back to somthing more favorable in terms of depth and sustained cold and snowy solutions and that too can become a trend!

Fingers crossed we are at a building blocks stage and patience will be rewarded with the SSW on the horizon too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SLEETY said:

lol good  guess,seems like you just made it up. lets see how accurate you are,not very likely looking at that forecast ,mild from the SW? where you get that forecast from fl from gfs i guess,good luck

Indeed let's see. But I never said mild, where did you get that from? I said warmth from the SW which has just been confirmed by this evenings ECM for about ten days. 

5 minutes ago, DCee said:

Indeed let's see. But I never said mild, where did you get that from? I said warmth from the SW which has just been confirmed by this evenings ECM for about ten days. 

ecmwind.240.png

Here you go. Latest and after my "guess".

Hope I'm wrong but ultimately the MO are likely on the right track.

Still the weather, and therefore algorithm outputs, can change so fingers crossed (I enjoy snow, skiing, proper winter). I've learnt to read the weather as it can affect me financially.