Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Had about 2 hours of glorious snow, very much like the December 2017 event which started as rain. Sadly this time it didn't carry on and is now a slushy wet mess

Posted

This might be a little bit of a ramp but so what. 

We now have reliable cold other the UK with many areas already seeing wintry showers or full on snow events (2 inches imby and even more in some other areas although starting to thaw a bit earlier). It's the third day of falling or lying snow here, with a potential 4th tomorrow and 5th on Thursday. 

We have reliable time frame cold available on all models going into this weekend, and a potential snow event for the far south tomorrow. We have by far the best synoptic for a prolonged cold and snowy spell since January 2010, with the right lining of the stars I'm now confident that by the 3rd week of January we could have over a foot of snow even to low levels, and long lasting cold to keep it in place with temperatures widely below - 10 in city centres with big UHI's such as Manchester and London. 

This winter will be severe, I can say this with confidence because one of the things that links every severe cold spell in British history is below average flights, naturally with Covid the number of flights has been far below average - indicating that January and February will be severely cold and snowy. Let's enjoy this historic period of weather. 

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Looking at the models and ensembles, seems next 7-10 days is pretty much nailed-on to be cold but not cold enough to ensure snow falls to all levels!

Also, some experts hinting that atmospheric changes and SSW will likely result in West based -NOA which won't favour UK  ☹️

Disappointing, but we are in a much better place in terms of NH pattern than we've been during the last few winters.

Lets hope that really cold air over the other side can somehow find its way towards NW Europe.

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
14 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

We now have reliable cold other the UK with many areas already seeing wintry showers or full on snow events (2 inches imby and even more in some other areas although starting to thaw a bit earlier). It's the third day of falling or lying snow here, with a potential 4th tomorrow and 5th on Thursday. 

We have reliable time frame cold available on all models going into this weekend, and a potential snow event for the far south tomorrow. We have by far the best synoptic for a prolonged cold and snowy spell since January 2010, with the right lining of the stars I'm now confident that by the 3rd week of January we could have over a foot of snow even to low levels, and long lasting cold to keep it in place with temperatures widely below - 10 in city centres with big UHI's such as Manchester and London. 

This winter will be severe, I can say this with confidence because one of the things that links every severe cold spell in British history is below average flights, naturally with Covid the number of flights has been far below average - indicating that January and February will be severely cold and snowy. Let's enjoy this historic period of weather. 

I'm in northants. Do you see anything over the next two weeks that will give me anything lower than -2c.? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Rammie said:

I'm in northants. Do you see anything over the next two weeks that will give me anything lower than -2c.? 

Yes. Snow cover and the clear cold pooling to our north and east on latest runs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

What a pathetic effort for South Eastern parts during this cold spell.

Not bad for Yorkshire, NW England, Wales and the Midlands with ample opportunities.

Wake me up when proper Easterlies bring in the snow for the South East!!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Not bad for Yorkshire, NW England, Wales and the Midlands with ample opportunities.

I'm not sure about Windsor, but to be fair we've been in the firing line here in NW Kent (Tonbridge) on several occasions since 2010 especially March 2013 & February 2018  ❄️❄️❄️❄️

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

I'm not sure about Windsor, but to be fair we've been in the firing line here in NW Kent (Tonbridge) on several occasions since 2010 especially March 2013 & February 2018  ❄️❄️❄️❄️

I don’t care about past winters. This winter so far has seen diddly squat for southerners!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Deep Snow please said:

Thats a bold statement, wake me up when there's a frost let alone snow.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Freeze said:

Thats a bold statement, wake me up when there's a frost let alone snow.

We had frost yesterday while the Midlands were seeing snow....

Got low expectations until we see some synoptic changes with deep cold pooling nearby instead of the weak northerlies!

Pretty happy from the current maps. Also we have the SSW incoming which can turn things wild.

Anyway I can't resist but post this Chinese cold wave:

The -15 (maybe even lower) 850 hPa temp reaching as south as Shanghai! which is around 31-32nd north latitude. Thats as south as middle of Morocco. It is so south that the models showing Europe barely reach this latitude line.

Shanghai_cold.png

Edited by noname_weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Rammie said:

I live in Corby seem to do really poor with north winds. Missed out few weeks ago and today and yesterday 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
4 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

We had frost yesterday while the Midlands were seeing snow....

Got low expectations until we see some synoptic changes with deep cold pooling nearby instead of the weak northerlies!

I've had one air frost at the beginning of December nothing since 

Posted

I think the Met Office are jinxing the snow prospects for the South East by issuing yellow warnings as soon as they see a slim chance of snowfall. ?‍♂️

More often than not have the yellow warnings proved not right!

In future, if we don’t get any yellow warnings for snowfall, we may actually get some snowfall!!

Edited by prolongedSnowLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.

I’d hardly call it a cold spell in this neck of the woods. The temperature was 6.5c today and constant rain showers. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Kevo22 said:

I’d hardly call it a cold spell in this neck of the woods. The temperature was 6.5c today and constant rain showers. 

Colder than normal consistently for a few days or more ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Loving this seasonal weather, near enough perfect in my opinion, not overly cold, still shorts weather for me work wise but fresh enough to feel like winter for a change, not had that for 2 years nearly now. Outlook is also promising....could we be having a actual winter? May have jinxed it i fear!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

Nice fall of snow earlier and now the sky is clear with the moon shining down on the snowfields.  Couldn't look any more seasonal out there at the moment.  Best thing is it's still the time of year with the longest nights and with more cold to come this could be the best winter here since 2012-13, even if it does turn mild for the 2nd half of January.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Simon M said:

Nice fall of snow earlier and now the sky is clear with the moon shining down on the snowfields.  Couldn't look any more seasonal out there at the moment.  Best thing is it's still the time of year with the longest nights and with more cold to come this could be the best winter here since 2012-13, even if it does turn mild for the 2nd half of January.

Alright for some!

totally green with envy as a northerner living in the South!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Deep Snow please said:

Be fun if you were right. But the majority of the UK is more likely to see cold rain and sleet at low levels. The cold repeatedly remains at 10 days, the slack air does not support snow unfortunately and nor does any easterly from a warm continent.

I like the current synoptics but the reality is we might just have to put this winter down to what-could-have-been.

Happy to be proved wrong of course. 

Posted
1 hour ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Yeah rubbish here and now that tweet that the easterlies next week where SE always does well will be warmer than normal because of the higher than average temps across Europe,means it wont be nice and dry snow,if we even get any.

Dissapointed now

Need a really long fetch Northerly now,to save  this pathetic attempt of a cold spell here.

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, SLEETY said:

Yeah rubbish here and now that tweet that the easterlies next week where SE always does well will be warmer than normal because of the higher than average temps across Europe,means it wont be nice and dry snow,if we even get any.

Dissapointed now

Your disappointed getting a frost would be nice