Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Gawd what is the matter with some of you. Some lucky folk have had/are having snow. Many areas are not, so what.

Give it a rest and report the weather.

• Like 6

Posted

Ok I agree, 3 million people have seen snow. Less than 5% . let’s leave it at that  I didn’t realise it would turn into a political debate about leveling up I wasn’t having a dig at anyone, I’m glad people got snow, and I’m sure more people will get some over the next week or so and we will have an event that is memorable for a large portion of the Uk...wherever they live ⛄

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Gawd what is the matter with some of you. Some lucky folk have had/are having snow. Many areas are not, so what.

Give it a rest and report the weather.

The problems is when you try and report the weather - a genuine widespread snow event for the Midlands and parts of the North West, you get southerners who haven't had the courtesy to read the weather threads for the affected regions chiming in to have a go at you..... 

A note for all, if you're going to act as some authority on a weather event, read the local affected threads first to see which areas have been covered by it.

@Tim BlandCapture.thumb.PNG.4112b9fe0aa802bc067e1e1b8d82a37b.PNG

Posted

Last night's snow was the biggest in this area since 2010. A very memorable event - we don't all live up mountains oooop norfff you know - yesterday delivered memorable snow for most of Merseyside, Cheshire and low elevation Grt Manchester too where this is a rare thing/ Hopefully more areas get in on the snow at some point but let's not patronise or throw our toys out the pram because it didn't snow in the SE - the mad thread is already the safe space for that

Edited by Mark88

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

It’s about population density. National news know their audience and will play news that effects the majority of their audience. It’s also relative. 5cm of snow in central London is big news as it’s very rare. 5cm of snow in Aberdeen would not even get a mention on the news. It’s a bit like 0c in parts of Norway would be referred to as ‘mild’ in January where as in the Uk it oils be called ‘bitterly cold’ it’s all relative! My point above before this went off on a Tangent was to Kasim about doing his snow warnings and generalizing to a national forum about an ‘event’ when to 90% of the population there was no event. 

There's a tautological way around the problem, though: an occurrence is an event only when it contains a certain degree of 'eventworthiness' can it be deemed 'eventworthy' and, thus be called an 'event'? :santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Ok I agree, 3 million people have seen snow. Less than 5% . let’s leave it at that  I didn’t realise it would turn into a political debate about leveling up I wasn’t having a dig at anyone, I’m glad people got snow, and I’m sure more people will get some over the next week or so and we will have an event that is memorable for a large portion of the Uk...wherever they live ⛄

Closer to 8-9m once you include the rest of Lancashire that was under yesterday's streamer and parts of Manchester that did see snow, creeps towards London's population. But is it national news, course it's not. It's not a political debate about levelling up I'm after, simply stating the fact that if the media can't report snow events without a regional bias we're screwed.... 

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

Last night's snow was the biggest in this area since 2010. A very memorable event - we don't all live up mountains oooop norfff you know - yesterday delivered memorable snow for most of Merseyside, Cheshire and low elevation Grt Manchester too where this is a rare thing/ Hopefully more areas get in on the snow at some point but let's not patronise or throw our toys out the pram because it didn't snow in the SE - the mad thread is already the safe space for that

It's okay, if it didn't snow in Stevenage it can't possibly be a snow event.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
6 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

And? The population of the sub central region of London is 1.5m and you can guarantee if everywhere else but them in London got rain and they got 5cm of snow it would still be news..... 

The population of the west Midlands is 3m anyway, which is a fairer comparison to greater London. You can deny the bias all you want, but it exists, and it's rather insulting for a southerner to claim it doesn't. Applies to other news not just snow... 

To be honest it really doesn't really matter whether or not a snow event is reported on the news. I don't doubt that snow events are more frequently reported when they occur in London, but I wouldn't consider this to be a topic that needs reporting - unless it is widespread and causes notable disruption across large swathes of the country. As for the snowfall itself, it was further west than forecasted which meant that many areas in the Midlands did not receive any notable snowfall.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, xSnow said:

To be honest it really doesn't really matter whether or not a snow event is reported on the news. I don't doubt that snow events are more frequently reported when they occur in London, but I wouldn't consider this to be a topic that needs reporting - unless it is widespread and causes notable disruption across large swathes of the country. As for the snowfall itself, it was further west than forecasted which meant that many areas in the Midlands did not receive any notable snowfall.

I mean local news shows it did cause widespread disruption. But our roads don't matter to national media - even if they are key nationally significant motorways.

And it does matter whether it's reported in the news, because it's an indication of a general southern bias in the news - it's not like this just applies to snow events - this is just the event that matters here as we're on a weather forum. If the national media and government are serious about levelling up coverage, accurately reporting snow events is the first step. Then they might accurately report the per person stabbing rate in Manchester or Birmingham, against the per person stabbing rate in London rather than bleating on about London knife crime over and over again... 

If they can't seize an opportunity to get the basics right like this snow event, we're not going to see any change. 

WWW.LANCS.LIVE

Incidents on the M6, Grane Road, as well as delays on the M65 and incidents in Blackburn and Accrington this evening

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

wnds turn easterly later in week so hopefully turning even colder and snow for many,cold and rain on and off here,onshore wind.

Nice snow pics in midlands and the highlands,wish i lived in tomintoul lol

Posted

So what’s showing on models for the week or so could even the south getting a  good pasting of snow from theses charts ? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
43 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

So what’s showing on models for the week or so could even the south getting a  good pasting of snow from theses charts ? 

Unlikely, more the odd few flakes of snizzle, maybe a 1cm or 2 of snow/slush in places, the kind that looks transparent on the ground and drips almost instantly off of surfaces it hits. 

As much as people don’t like to admit it, and I’ve read the explanations elsewhere as to why some folk thinks it doesn’t matter, but quite simply the 850s are just not cold enough, as pressure rises they will need to be even colder too.  Sea temps are also above average for this time of year (we’d need -16 in an easterly) 

If you’re a relative newcomer to watching the models, then I can understand how this thread is suggesting to you that we might get a ‘pasting’ - try and cut through the excitement and ignore the emotional posters

edit: I should say, I’m referring to the reliable timeframe, so the next few days.  If the cold persists and we do see a long easterly, the sea and surface temps could set in nicely and the we may see some more interesting stuff - but that’s all FI and pointless trying to forecast right now.  Synoptics like this do have a reliable tendency to vanish from the models at the very last minute.  Train and station and all that 

Edit 2: I see this post has been moved, which is a shame because most of the ‘ramping’ is actually in the model output thread which is a shame as it misleads a lot of folk.  ??‍♂️

??

Edited by Beanz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

No doubt snow chances pretty much anywhere in the coming week, so a perfectly passable cold spell at surface level even as they stand. But many of us want more than passable! 

Plenty of scope for a more classic spell down the line, but would be much more comfortable if and when some of it comes into view!

The inbound SSW might offer the less favoured areas a route out of marginality perhaps? 

Posted
1 hour ago, Deep Snow please said:

Closer to 8-9m once you include the rest of Lancashire that was under yesterday's streamer and parts of Manchester that did see snow, creeps towards London's population. But is it national news, course it's not. It's not a political debate about levelling up I'm after, simply stating the fact that if the media can't report snow events without a regional bias we're screwed.... 

Jeeze.. get out enjoy what you have.. although I truly hope you’re right in the  views you express and that we in the south east receive a decent snow event and it takes the news lead from COVID and brexit.. fingers crossed from Orpington Kent in south east England ;) Near london :)

Posted
21 minutes ago, Beanz said:

Unlikely, more the odd few flakes of snizzle, maybe a 1cm or 2 of snow/slush in places, the kind that looks transparent on the ground and drips almost instantly off of surfaces it hits. 

As much as people don’t like to admit it, and I’ve read the explanations elsewhere as to why some folk thinks it doesn’t matter, but quite simply the 850s are just not cold enough, as pressure rises they will need to be even colder too.  Sea temps are also above average for this time of year (we’d need -16 in an easterly) 

If you’re a relative newcomer to watching the models, then I can understand how this thread is suggesting to you that we might get a ‘pasting’ - try and cut through the excitement and ignore the emotional posters ??

Nice one beanz thanks for the info

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

I really hope the 06z is on the right track. I know we had the 2018 beast and 2009/10 and even 91 before that. But from a purely IMBY point of view none of those compare to the 80s great winters with a good amount of snow in conjunction with strong east north east winds which created huge drifts that cut of 10s of miles of roads here in Suffolk. 91 was ok but only lasted a few days. In the 80s they were still clearing B roads for two weeks after the thaw had set in. So for me I think that we are due a proper once in a 40 year winter this time round with large amounts of snow coupled with strong winds. 

Posted

I see this thread has turned into the "Parler" to the mod threads "Twitter". Thanks for ruining what this thread is supposed to be about.

Thank god someone had the good sense to create the cold thread.

Edited by Wynter

Posted

For some unknown reason this post I made was hidden from model thread, I wasn’t making any reference to climate change just thinking it was relevant to model discussions.

“Worth noting Finland has experienced its coldest December temperature in 25 years, Norway the lowest temperature since 2001 with -43.3C.

A city in SW Siberia has experienced its coldest December temperature on record with -42.8c POR goes back to 1955 and 2.8C lower than previous record.  There’s extreme cold in NH to be had. Which is interesting with a SSW and how it could be nudged our way,”

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

why can't we cry anymore   I want to cry at some of the posts but they all have to be all good reactions, what if it not good and I want to show how I feel

Edited by Atmogenic
not just model thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
2 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

Birmingham just over 1 million. UK = 67 million. Looking at the precip type it looks like only the elevated areas of the Birmingham area to the west saw anything, so probably half a million 

We had couple of inches South Brum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

This is the best fall of snow for us since the BFTE back in 2018.  I can't believe I've had to wait this long for a decent fall of snow (around 2 inches) but this winter continues to surprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

I can't believe the same areas that get all the severe thunderstorms get all the snow, while here it's 6c and raining