Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Now I feel like playing some Foreigner, Kraftwerk, Human League and Ultravox, just to give me that late December 81, early 1982 feeling. 

Fun fact: The League got stuck in the snow in West Wales in early '82 while on their way to (or back from) Ireland.

Speaking of which, the blizzard of Jan. 6th-9th that year was incredibly severe in Glamorgan, Monmouthshire and Gloucestershire, as these photos taken in my hometown show:

image.thumb.png.692158438ab7ed61d13849c24f3f8829.png image.thumb.png.340b4d1edfcff5f8b8b121a5341fe885.png 

Level depths were widely 50-75 cm and this was followed by a week or so of extremely low (as in sub -10°C) temperatures. And all soundtracked by the superb "Dare" album!

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snow White said:

I agree it’s not fantastic output at the moment but I think you should see some snow over next few days. In Scotland you have a better chance than most looking at the models.

There does seem to some hefty snow showers moving into the west coast of Scotland.

I am hoping to wake up to a covering from the feature moving south over northern England overnight. 

8620E9C0-7987-45EB-823F-9BC88CC97112.png

Checked out the metoffice forecast for Burnley, NW England....hovering around freezing midweek onwards and overcast

A tad nippy if you ask me. Think December"s of the 60's and your not far wrong.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
1 minute ago, Optimus Prime said:

Checked out the metoffice forecast for Burnley, NW England....hovering around freezing midweek onwards and overcast

A tad nippy if you ask me. Think December"s of the 60's and your not far wrong.

My Grandma is from Burnley she has some fantastic stories of the deep drifts on the moors around Burnley from the 40s, 50s and 60s.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Hi mate.

The highest daily total in an inhabited area was 173cm..68 inches the location was Huntingdon,Warren, Dartmouth on the 16th Feb 1929.

So far so good with the 18s..improvements.

Cheers Matt,

Well over 5 feet of snow. Thats incredible. Most of been something to watch the flakes fall at that rate.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Let's hope we're all still laughing at the GFS with it's terrible flips at the end of today. 

funny-gifs-flip-fail.thumb.gif.cb1cecf1c9760081c53ea1fb769f27af.gif

Edited by D.V.R
laughing emoji

Posted

Talking about severe and minor snow events.. It's often the snow showers that prove to be potent. 2004-2005 winter ,. I remember looking out of the college window, I said to my class mate, if that mountain (Welsh valley) disappears behind snow.. we're in trouble.. 

A snow shower came along 30mins later, everything covered, mountain/valley disappeared.. and we were all sent home. 

Now reading through the comments , the word "marginal" keeps showing up. If even a small cover of snow over a fairly decent sized area falls ,. how much impact will it have on the air temperature and the precipitation falling? I feel like we're in a degree of uncertainty.. (pun intended) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
8 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Just booked tickets to see The Human League next December on their Dare 40 tour. They are fantastic live. Now, if only we could get some 1981 weather, too

I’m hardly jealous at all. seriously though, I wish I was going. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, Kevo22 said:

I met Phil a couple of years ago in a pub in Sheffield. Great guy altho his health isn't good. I saw the original line up pre the girls joining. Empire state human is a great track.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, swfc said:

I met Phil a couple of years ago in a pub in Sheffield. Great guy altho his health isn't good. I saw the original line up pre the girls joining. Empire state human is a great track.

I didn’t know Phil wasn’t in good health. Agree about Empire State Human, I have the album and it was before they became really well know . 

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Jackfrost said:

Fun fact: The League got stuck in the snow in West Wales in early '82 while on their way to (or back from) Ireland.

Speaking of which, the blizzard of Jan. 6th-9th that year was incredibly severe in Glamorgan, Monmouthshire and Gloucestershire, as these photos taken in my hometown show:

image.thumb.png.692158438ab7ed61d13849c24f3f8829.png image.thumb.png.340b4d1edfcff5f8b8b121a5341fe885.png 

Level depths were widely 50-75 cm and this was followed by a week or so of extremely low (as in sub -10°C) temperatures. And all soundtracked by the superb "Dare" album!

Incredible photos! We really don’t get winters like that anymore.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A level 2 alert for severe cold weather has been extended to the West Midlands

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 09:26 on Sun 27 Dec 2020

There is a 60% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 0900 on Sunday 27 Dec and 0900 on Tuesday 29 Dec in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Colder air developing across the UK through Sunday 27th as rain clears and winds ease. Overnight frost and icy patches developing, along with the potential for some freezing fog. This also bringing a risk of wintry showers, which may merge into more persistent hill snow early Monday 28th, perhaps down to lower levels briefly, with an increased risk for parts of the West Midlands. Coldest conditions will continue to be across the Northeast, Northwest and Yorkshire and Humberside at first, where thresholds are likely to be reached for this period. Elsewhere daytime temperatures should recover sufficiently to remain above thresholds. Confidence is low, however. This alert will need to be reviewed as confidence increases for the coming week, and beyond, but is likely to be extended.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/?tab=coldWeatherAlert&season=normal#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
54 minutes ago, Kevo22 said:

They are touring around the country, so I’m sure that you could get tickets

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

They are touring around the country, so I’m sure that you could get tickets

Thanks. I’ll have a google and see where the nearest place is for me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

Insane run, GFS 06z..

This is exactly what I need to stop moaning 

Lots of snow in coastal southeast Norway. That combination of Scandi high and low pressure in England is what we need for the Sea effect snow bands along the Skaggerak Sea.

And the end of this run is astonishing! Polar vortex in Scandi with extreme low temperatures even at the coast.

Come on Santa pleeeeasseeeee

Posted

Here you go guys:

Christmas 1981, into early 1982.

Bring on the snow, hopefully!

I hope we get a severe spell, as I was predicting one back in the summer, but could go tits up.

The main chart is available on Mixcloud for that week. 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Kevo22 said:

Incredible photos! We really don’t get winters like that anymore.

Yeah, although 2010 and 2018 gave us some decent snowfall. 

I would love another 1991 or 1987 spell.

And yeah, the snow was better, plus the British music bands were better back then. It just seems everywhere you turn now, everyone wants to have that rubbish Urban sound, or sound like Stormzy.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, although 2010 and 2018 gave us some decent snowfall. 

I would love another 1991 or 1987 spell.

And yeah, the snow was better, plus the British music bands were better back then. It just seems everywhere you turn now, everyone wants to have that rubbish Urban sound, or sound like Stormzy.

I agree regarding the music these days, but I think it may be something to do with getting old.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, kevvo said:

SunnyWarm sun on the patio. Where is the snow?

20201227_120643.jpg

Patience Grasshopper!

We were never likely to see widespread snow this weekend although some on higher ground might see a decent covering during this coming week.

It's later into January that we could hit the jackpot if the SSW & displaced/split vortex falls in our favour as some experts are predicting might happen.

But, still finely balanced and nerve wracking, as usual, in UK

Surely, we deserve something notable in terms of cold & snowy this winter. ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Here you go guys:

Christmas 1981, into early 1982.

Bring on the snow, hopefully!

I hope we get a severe spell, as I was predicting one back in the summer, but could go tits up.

The main chart is available on Mixcloud for that week. 

Fantastic! Thanks for putting this on, I’ll listen to it in it’s entirety later, the memories of that snowy month will come flooding back. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
26 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

No problem mate

A bit brave tho for my first winter on here. 

I can see people wanting my head if it doesnt go to plan like that but im weather timing is crucial to patterns of longevity and i just feel like this month may well have dropped on very lucky with regards to that!

Thank you so much for your objective analysis recently. I would rather read posts from people that use their experience to make a brave prediction any day rather than read posts from people who merely come on here to look for a ‘told you so’ moment if anything goes wrong with a cold spell. Keep it up, although I don’t know how you’re still awake at this point.

Also worth thanking @Kasim Awan for your updates recently as well on the snow situation. I could add so many names but you 2 have both been great recently with consistent updates.

Edited by Frosty Winter
  • Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

Thank you so much for your objective analysis recently. I would rather read posts from people that use their experience to make a brave prediction any day rather than read posts from people who merely come on here to look for a ‘told you so’ moment if anything goes wrong with a cold spell. Keep it up, although I don’t know how you’re still awake at this point.

Also worth thanking @Kasim Awan for your updates recently as well on the snow situation. I could add so many names but you 2 have both been great recently with consistent updates.

No problem its a very brave call we all know the weather doesnt follow scripts but i feel this a film Tom Hardy would want rather than a chuckle brother! 

Agreed on @Kasim Awan he is excellent at short range. 

I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as him with this

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

@Scott Inghamis the Poster that keeps everything balanced he certainly knows a lot about Meteorology and is good at noticing trends in Charts close and far out.

• Like 4