Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

I'm struggling to share the enthusiasm for the next week that many seem to be. Yes it's cold, but a snowfest it ain't! 

A few of us have been battling the tide in the MOD thread for ages, but people just aren't having it. If force of willpower counted for anything we would be buried, but in the real world a bit a wet snow / sleet for most is about the best on offer.

• Like 6

Posted
20 minutes ago, Jason M said:

A few of us have been battling the tide in the MOD thread for ages, but people just aren't having it. If force of willpower counted for anything we would be buried, but in the real world a bit a wet snow / sleet for most is about the best on offer.

It's certainly a mad house in the Mod thread, they just won't be beaten will they.   Never mind i'm sure a Narnia scenario at D10 will crop up to get them banging the same old drum again...

• Like 3

Posted

I'm think I'm going to call it quits with this cold "spell"

Sadly like or not this is no longer the fantastic charts we have been seeing the past few days 

First it's the lack of Heights we have gone from a "black hole" Greenland high to now a Graceland high and it seems that the favourite outcome at this rate is for high pressure to be close or over the UK 

Secondly we have snowfall forecasts remember the ECM snow charts a few days ago where large parts of the UK had snowfall? No longer there and any snowfall seems to be around the hills of Wales/Scotland but at least Ireland will be getting some 

And the increased uncertainty now starting to derail the once crossed model agreement for a actually cold spell is gone instead we have many options on the table though thankfully none seems to go back to a mild route 

Seeing the posts now where we are starting to favour the models because of the outcomes that are showing isn't the greatest idea 

At the end of the day the prime thing we need a cross model agreement and we don't have that

Though thankfully it does seem a SSW does look likely so maybe further cold spell/snaps could be on the cards 

For now I'm going to be a spectacular for the time being 

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I'm struggling to share the enthusiasm for the next week that many seem to be. Yes it's cold, but a snowfest it ain't! 

It's unfortunate that in simple terms we don't have enough cold air to guarantee snowfall this spell seems to be by near chance and nothing more 

Posted
32 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Over here in the Netherlands it ain't better than this. We see some good synoptics, but there is no cold. So a waist of precious time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

EC 12Z wild guess! the Atlantic will be in charge 192-240! hopefully just milder week to 10 days, and cold will arrive around 15th

• Like 1

Posted

I know these are about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but looks nice anyway  

Screenshot_20201226-175131_Met Office.jpg

Edited by smethwickgg102
Error
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
17 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

EC 12Z wild guess! the Atlantic will be in charge 192-240! hopefully just milder week to 10 days, and cold will arrive around 15th

Tell us why you think this ??

post a chat from the time period 192-240 and give us your a analysis why you think the ECM 12z will be Atlantic driven for that time period 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Looks cold, sunny and frosty here which will do for me. Weather app showing highs of 2/3C and lows of -1/-2C, for the entire 10-day period, which would be the coldest period of weather for almost 3 years.

Snow would be nice but meh, beggars can’t be choosers!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
30 minutes ago, cheese said:

Looks cold, sunny and frosty here which will do for me. Weather app showing highs of 2/3C and lows of -1/-2C, for the entire 10-day period, which would be the coldest period of weather for almost 3 years.

Snow would be nice but meh, beggars can’t be choosers!

Agree, whilst a snowy winter wonderland would be perfect, cold and frosty next week is a good second best for me personally.

I know most search for snowy synoptics but I'm one of the few who is quite happy with a period of cold, frosty and potentially foggy weather.  Certainly beats the usual trash of Atlantic driven pressure systems like the last few years.

• Like 2

Posted

Really surprised that this thread is not full  of banter posts or moans, or will it snow for me etc... The mod thread has taken over because posters dont listen , even after several polite requests from the team.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Really surprised that this thread is not full  of banter posts or moans, or will it snow for me etc... The mod thread has taken over because posters dont listen , even after several polite requests from the team.

Aye, I think I'll just leave them to it, Dave... Who cares how many inches they'll have, come the third Tuesday in 2027!? And that's without their overdosing on hyperbolic steroids!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Aye, I think I'll just leave them to it, Dave... Who cares how many inches they'll have, come the third Tuesday in 2027!? And that's without their overdosing on hyperbolic steroids!:drunk-emoji:

3rd Tues in 2027! no doubt in lockdown still, on the 300th strain of coronavirus, vaccines don't work for most of the 300 different strains, then the 301st strain starts in Australia, extends our lockdown further, and vaccine number 300 won't work

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

3rd Tues in 2027! no doubt in lockdown still, on the 300th strain of coronavirus, vaccines don't work for most of the 300 different strains, then the 301st strain starts in Australia, extends our lockdown further, and vaccine number 65 won't work

And just for balance Ian, by then  we will be in the next LIA, So plenty to look forward to!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

And just for balance Ian, by then  we will be in the next LIA, So plenty to look forward to!

The biggest problem with the LIA is that, if Snowmageddon comes this year, it'll all be down to the NLIA; if it doesn't, it'll be due to the 20-year time lag?

Posted
10 minutes ago, daz_4 said:

We got a dusting on cars this morning! Truly a winter wonderland. May this "great NH profile" long continue.

It's sad that this "great NH profile" it's being wasted 

Not helped by fellow folk misleading saying it's 2010 again 

No very cold uppers anywhere to be seen 

Meanwhile on the MOD thread the hunt for very cold/widespread snowfall continues at day 9! (Not day 10 lol) 

It also seems that the high or what's left of it will move the UK or close by before heading to Norway/Finland

• Like 2

Posted

Whatever happens we are heading for some very strange and for the UK a very rare weather pattern. Don't remember ever having what looks like 10 days of a bit cooler than average temperatutes. Almost like we are generating and self-sustaining  our own homegrown cold pool, after the initial injection of cold from this weekend's storm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
5 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Whatever happens we are heading for some very strange and for the UK a very rare weather pattern. Don't remember ever having what looks like 10 days of a bit cooler than average temperatutes. Almost like we are generating and self-sustaining  our own homegrown cold pool, after the initial injection of cold from this weekend's storm. 

Kind of reminds me of December 1981 where there were no cold uppers of any note, but due to a sudden nationwide wet snowfall the cold became locked in with severe frost and further snowfall throughout the month. I’m not saying it will happen this time but it’s always a possibility. ❄️❄️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
35 minutes ago, Windysun1 said:

Bit off topic but what is the greatest snow depth recorded in UK after a snowstorm or roughly in a 24hr period? Cheers.

Hi mate.

The highest daily total in an inhabited area was 173cm..68 inches the location was Huntingdon,Warren, Dartmouth on the 16th Feb 1929.

So far so good with the 18s..improvements.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Kevo22 said:

Kind of reminds me of December 1981 where there were no cold uppers of any note, but due to a sudden nationwide wet snowfall the cold became locked in with severe frost and further snowfall throughout the month. I’m not saying it will happen this time but it’s always a possibility. ❄️❄️

Now I feel like playing some Foreigner, Kraftwerk, Human League and Ultravox, just to give me that late December 81, early 1982 feeling. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, thunderstorms and sunny summer days.
49 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Now I feel like playing some Foreigner, Kraftwerk, Human League and Ultravox, just to give me that late December 81, early 1982 feeling. 

You have all the groups spot on for that period. Human league at No1 with Don’t You Want Me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
14 minutes ago, Kevo22 said:

You have all the groups spot on for that period. Human league at No1 with Don’t You Want Me.

Just booked tickets to see The Human League next December on their Dare 40 tour. They are fantastic live. Now, if only we could get some 1981 weather, too

• Like 1