Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 hour ago, AmatuerMet1963 said:

Afternoon guys. Well the weather is as bad as it gets here in N West. We haven't really had day break at all this week. Its been a little bit light by 10am. but already by 3.30pm its so dark you cant even read a newspaper. Add to that hours and hours of heavy rain that keeps us olduns inside, unless you have a car.  Very depressing for December. And to add salt to our injurys, Japan has had a sudden mind blowing Snowstorm, and New York pictures of The winter wonderland in Central park, makes me even more annoyed I didn't emigrate to British Columbia Canada to join my sister back in 1977-78. Plenty of snow where she is On the North Alasakan Highway town of Fort St John.  As Im from the sixties, I have to search my mind when I last saw in a blizzard, that was  about 1974 -1979 in Sussex, in fact that was the last heavy snow I have seen. Now I live near Liverpool, my chances of ever seeing 4 foot drifts again seem really remote, and at my age , I might not have enough time left to actually experience one . 2010 for me in Blackpool was a damp squid, with just a few inches, and very cold, but just 8 hours of medium snow that didnt cover hardly any of the town, and packed up snowing next day only ice remained. That was the last time i got the Winter cold weather payment for those on certain benefits. I have not had another payment for cold weather conditions since 2010.

Where are those Easterlies we used to have that bought heavy snow showers to East Sussex?   The UK seems to be changing prevailing wind directions from South Westerlies to SSW or especially South in Summer, that brings the very hot anomaly's temperatures that turns us into Mediterranean climate every year now and with it comes high levels of pollution from France in the summer.   All the action seem to be Canada and USA where Toronto isnt far from an area with -32C%..................Windy.com gives a damning 8 day trend of more south westerlies. with any blue contained East of Vienna or Scandinavia right up to the 28th. In 1963 we was already under 2 feet by the 28th December.

We certainly get more winds from a SW direction in the Winter then say in the 80s,but you must know the UK has never had decent snowy winters lol,we have certain decades that have seen more snow than others but prolonged snow cover at low-levels has always been rare in the UK.

Thats the fun of the chase in the Winter,or early Spring  that you might just get those rare synoptics that deliver widespread snow to the uk,.

Or just move to Canada and have snow on the ground for months on the end,and bitter cold,me personally would get fed up with that after a couple of weeks.

I play golf ,so wouldnt be much fun in Canada for nearly half the year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Why on earth has my above post been moved to the moans thread? 

There are a multitude of posts more worthy of this thread that are ignored each day, mostly because the reputation of said poster is in the thousands. 

Not a good tone to set for summer? Poor old @Alderc will end up banned from the model thread, that many of his posts will be reported.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PolarWarsaw said:

There are a multitude of posts more worthy of this thread that are ignored each day, mostly because the reputation of said poster is in the thousands. 

Not a good tone to set for summer? Poor old @Alderc will end up banned from the model thread, that many of his posts will be reported.

Why pick me out? Not really posted in four months? You got some weird obsession?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

On the face of it, everything that it is in that post is suited to this threads name. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Sorry to the few of you who were probably sat their just waiting for the first  tiny signs of the 12z gfs back tracking towards the euros output this morning just so you could come out with the 'I told you so' posts in the mod thread lol. Instead the ukmo has moved towards the gfs

You might want to keep sitting there waiting though as you never know, the ecm might yet come to your aid in a couple of hours

Personally I love the chase & when the mod thread is buzzing when there's cold showing up (at any range) , just because some might show excitement when cold charts appear does not mean they expect them to come off, obviously they don't, the weather will do what it's gonna do. 

• Like 3

While colder in other parts it really would be a damp squib on the south coast. Max temps on the GFS 12z run for this area.

Mon 21st - 14C  

Tue 22nd - 13C 

Wed 23rd - 13c 

Thu 24th - 7C -

Frid 25th - 5C

Sat 26th - 9C

Sun 27th - 9C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Polar Low GFS?

h500slp.thumb.png.efedebff54d492d1c26d6c654b83435b.png

Not a chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
7 minutes ago, B-C said:

As a novice, looking at Christmas Eve and Christmas Day snow potential. How possible at this range? Any thoughts? Strictly IMBY opinions welcome

Ensembles are good as a guide for temps - which are going in the right way.

Block the Atlantic get in the cold and usually the rest will follow - altitude helps just a little bit.

t2mCumbria.thumb.png.dbe3079b83de93632d12fc0b1b8cd4fa.png

or...

open-window.thumb.jpg.c6d15772ab4d876b50696817f196c2d7.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Approaching crunch time, will it be a 2010, thou can only hope. After this Year anything could happen. Models have been pointing to between the 21st to the 23rd tensions will be running high in the Mod thread. Models are ok but all things considered it is slowly getting colder so don't be too sorrowfull yet. 

Xander:santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, SLEETY said:

We certainly get more winds from a SW direction in the Winter then say in the 80s,but you must know the UK has never had decent snowy winters lol,we have certain decades that have seen more snow than others but prolonged snow cover at low-levels has always been rare in the UK.

Thats the fun of the chase in the Winter,or early Spring  that you might just get those rare synoptics that deliver widespread snow to the uk,.

Or just move to Canada and have snow on the ground for months on the end,and bitter cold,me personally would get fed up with that after a couple of weeks.

I play golf ,so wouldnt be much fun in Canada for nearly half the year. 

I lived in Toronto from August 1999 until March 2001, so witnessed two snowy winters. Although 99-2000 was a poor winter by Toronto standards, with no snow until December 27th 1999, but cold and dry in December, and one week to 10 days of snow in January with more snow days in February and some in early March.

Winter 2000-2001 was a much colder snowier one, and snow was falling in late November and we had a white Christmas, but by mid January I was fed up with snow.

If we had a 1981/82 every year, the novelty of snow would wear off very quickly. We would probably be chasing a 1987/88 winter more frequently.

Just some food for thought.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

Why pick me out? Not really posted in four months? You got some weird obsession?

Nothing personal at all, but you were one of the only people in the entire of the world that spent this last summer on the MOD thread bemoaning and dragging on about it not being stupidly hot every second of every day for 5 months with uninterrupted Sahara like heatwave conditions....in England. 

Filling the MOD thread with endless moany posts even though - Summer this year started at practically the end of March was above average, very warm, above average for sunshine and included numerous heatwave like spells, lasting right the way through into late September.

I found the posts in the MOD thread this summer, to make an already boring time of the year nearly unpalatable with everything else going on in the world, I personally needed something to keep me interested. We needed some excitement this summer. What we didn't need was endless, sweaty, hot, dry, miserable, boring and mundane days - only for people to celebrate  actually getting the kind of weather preference they asked for and then celebrated it spending half the time moaning about them.

Nothing personal against you as I mention. I just find the ever emerging 'Anti weather' brigade to be a painful representation of our modern day snowflake society. That's climate change and a whole different topic. Anyway that's for another topic! Hope you are well and I'm sure summer will bring some heat again this year. 

Edited by PolarWarsaw

Posted
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

On the face of it, everything that it is in that post is suited to this threads name. 

I disagree mate, but fair enough. 

Hope you have a good Christmas and New Year. 

Edited by PolarWarsaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 hours ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Agree! some posters are so called big hitters! post just for 'likes', main one, number 1, 5 letter then 4 letter name, 14 points in Scrabble (not counting bonus squares/letters counting twice!), remove the rep system, posting style by many members will change

• Like 1

Posted

Right so .......10 day charts showing cold not materialising . Xmas about 5-7c no snow . 15 pages of desperate people on the model thread throwing toys and getting excited /depressed in a 24 hour period and the netweather CET running at +1.02c in line with the Met Office forecast . Did I miss anything or are we on the cusp of a bitter winter ? 

• Like 1

Posted

Nothing personal at all, but you were one of the only people in the entire of the world that spent this last summer on the MOD thread bemoaning and dragging on about it not being stupidly hot every second of every day for 5 months with uninterrupted Sahara like heatwave conditions....in England. 

Filling the MOD thread with endless moany posts even though - Summer this year started at practically the end of March was above average, very warm, above average for sunshine and included numerous heatwave like spells, lasting right the way through into late September.

I found the posts in the MOD thread this summer, to make an already boring time of the year nearly unpalatable with everything else going on in the world, I personally needed something to keep me interested. We needed some excitement this summer. What we didn't need was endless, sweaty, hot, dry, miserable, boring and mundane days - only for people to celebrate  actually getting the kind of weather preference they asked for and then celebrated it spending half the time moaning about them.

Nothing personal against you as I mention. I just find the ever emerging 'Anti weather' brigade to be a painful representation of our modern day snowflake society. That's climate change and a whole different topic. Anyway that's for another topic! Hope you are well and I'm sure summer will bring some heat again this year. 

Summer 2020 wasn’t great. Granted, it was a nice sunny spring and early summer, and the sunniest spring spell with many clear blue sky days. Possibly the longest period of sunshine since 2018, but it was letdown a bit from mid June until late July. Lots of cloudy days, made it disappointing.

The very hot snap in August was balanced by the cooler dull second half and it was quite thundery at times.

The best months for sunshine were April, although that was pretty chilly at times, even during the day, so I would hardly call it warm. May was very nice, and early June. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PolarWarsaw said:

Anti-weather is something different to someone who can’t handle a little heat, it’s not my problem you don’t like it, just like it’s not your problem I detest the cold. Large swathes of summer 2020 were filled with dull and cool days but if thats exciting and floats your boat fair enough, for me I want to be down the beach, playing sport eating outside enjoying the light evening without having to be wrapped up for as long as possible and zero to do with a snowflake society. 

As mentioned I detest the cold but I’m certainly not going to start moaning about people picking out a frost over 300hrs out and getting excited over it let alone try calling out one particular member. I was hardly the only person wanting want conditions through the summer so come on......

im sure you’re a nice person but seems like you prefer to moan about people’s posts, at least when I moan it’s about the weather....

Posted

Open model thread.

Notice excitement about cold.

Read further with interest.

Notice dates such as 29th December or  New Year.

Close model thread.

See you next week.

Merry Christmas!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Anti-weather is something different to someone who can’t handle a little heat, it’s not my problem you don’t like it, just like it’s not your problem I detest the cold. Large swathes of summer 2020 were filled with dull and cool days but if thats exciting and floats your boat fair enough, for me I want to be down the beach, playing sport eating outside enjoying the light evening without having to be wrapped up for as long as possible and zero to do with a snowflake society. 

As mentioned I detest the cold but I’m certainly not going to start moaning about people picking out a frost over 300hrs out and getting excited over it let alone try calling out one particular member. I was hardly the only person wanting want conditions through the summer so come on......

im sure you’re a nice person but seems like you prefer to moan about people’s posts, at least when I moan it’s about the weather....

If cold weather is not your cup of tea, the UK should suit you perfectly.

Edited by Sceptical

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
52 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

ITS a slow burner this one,the fireworks go off in the New Year

New Years eve to be precise  but the government won't want that. It's certainly a waiting game, modelling always seem to show the best charts at day 10+

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
6 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

New Years eve to be precise  but the government won't want that. It's certainly a waiting game, modelling always seem to show the best charts at day 10+

Yes we couldn't buy a cold spell in the true sense could we. Bit like politics, promises everything and delivers - - - - all

• Like 1

Posted

Too many folk on here moan, especially coldies.

I can’t wait until we have 25c plus days, and we will get the same old people complaining about how it’s too hot, and it’s not normal lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Is your glass half full or half empty?

The models have now firmed up on a post Christmas cold spell (Half full) but we are not seeing a classic prolonged cold spell of weather programmed by any means yet. (Half empty)

Based on current output.

We should begin to draw in colder air from N from around the 27/28th but that air will not be sourced directly from the Arctic (Or of it is not for very long) and so ice days looks unlikely at this point but some, more especially in the N, should see snow falling even if it doesn't stick around. 

As things stand the Atlantic ridge looks like slowly being degraded rather than getting a Greenland high, but not disastrously so since there could well be a renewed attack from the N after a brief milder spell and renewed amplification after any low pushes over the ridge. It is all too far out to do anything but speculate and there are all manner of possibilities some better, some worse.

Overall I think we should be happy to have a shot at seeing some snow and the S is not excluded in that by any means even if it isn't a classic Winter pattern for now because it is far better than what we normally get and there is nothing to say the pattern will flatten in the New Year and that blocking will not re-strengthen. That is something to keep tabs on but there is currently no clear signal either way.

In the meanwhile enjoy this 168 mean chart which we would have given our right arms for only two weeks ago.

gensnh-31-1-168.png

Edited by Mucka