Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2020/21 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

I have to ask the question why do we bother?

I guess some folks will go to great lengths (or heights) in hope of seeing the first snowflake fall? image.thumb.png.a15188d8d8aef8e6ed7a61153ad932fa.png

Posted

I usually wait with excited interest and expectation for the snow, but this year, with the COVID vaccinations getting under way I’m hoping for an unusually mild and settled winter through until Easter to allow our wonderful NHS to undertake this vital task without any interruptions or difficulties due to inclement weather.

Everyone will require two vaccinations, and missed appointments due to snow or flooding will play havoc with the process and will cost lives, and vaccines delayed by poor road conditions will cause suffering and potentially waste vital and precious life-saving vaccine.

So for this year, let’s all hope that winter is a ‘non-event’. A warm settled winter will ensure more of us are around to enjoy a winter wonderland next year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)
1 hour ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

He has a point - and this is the right thread to air his views so don't knock him.

Whatever! it wasn’t me knocking anyone. Just read some of those posts I reacted to, unfair on people contributing to a weather forum getting exciting by ( checks notes...) weather! I thought that was odd?   Moans thread, yes? We are all entitled to a view. 

• Like 2

Posted

What a frustrating run up to Christmas this has been. Overall it's been pretty chilly here for the past two weeks but nothing more than that. There's light at the end of the tunnel but it's the light of an oncoming train - unacceptably mild temperatures from the 22nd to the Big Day itself, perhaps over 10C. Truly grim.

I haven't registered a frost since the 3rd and probably won't again until Boxing Day at the earliest - for my location that is simply dreadful for the time of year. This is turning into such a feeble December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
2 hours ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

I have to ask the question why do we bother?

Fine to disagree, but this comes across as a bit dismissive?

I've seen many cold spells falsely advertised over the years, but was of the opinion this may be different.

However, I'm a layman, so perhaps I've overreached by posting that.

Back in my box !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)
10 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

Fine to disagree, but this comes across as a bit dismissive?

I've seen many cold spells falsely advertised over the years, but was of the opinion this may be different.

However, I'm a layman, so perhaps I've overreached by posting that.

Back in my box !

I would not worry about it!  There is colder signals next week, It’s no way set in stone but is looking promising! :santa-emoji:   Whatever the outcome there is something to follow as we hopefully get closer ( and not just at day 10)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
1 minute ago, B-C said:

I would not worry about it!  There is colder signals next week, It’s no way set in stone but is looking promising! :santa-emoji:   Whatever the outcome there is something to follow as we hopefully get closer ( and not just at day 10)

Thanks! I don't usually buy into FI output, and appreciate a lot needs to verify in the short term for it to be a possibility!

Feels like a long time since we've had anything interesting to discuss, especially so early in the season! 

Posted

Woken up to... yep you guessed it - More 10 day chart posting. 

UKMO still not wanting a mince pie, until that model is on board with GH heights and any potential snowy weather isn’t 10 days away then I’ll join the ramp. 

Extremely mild here overnight, temps into double figures again today. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
28 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Woken up to... yep you guessed it - More 10 day chart posting. 

UKMO still not wanting a mince pie, until that model is on board with GH heights and any potential snowy weather isn’t 10 days away then I’ll join the ramp. 

Extremely mild here overnight, temps into double figures again today. 

Yes it's an old trait which continues. Nothing beyond 144 is remotely reliable imo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
8 minutes ago, swfc said:

Yes it's an old trait which continues. Nothing beyond 144 is remotely reliable imo

So would you say 144 is the “cut  off” point? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

So would you say 144 is the “cut  off” point? 

ATM yes for me. Esb is they key imo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

In Germany we need at least -8 in 850s to have snow all the way down (below 200m), wich stays for more than just a couple hours. Again, sleet at around 0C isn’t worth it...

as long as there are no significant cool pools around us to put our straw in, the sea remaining so „hot“ to heat up any cold polar air mass, snow will be rare on the bottom of the pot. 

hopefully cold air builds up now to the east and we get some easterly flow in January... I had enough of this long lasting autumn...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
1 minute ago, Vikos said:

In Germany we need at least -8 in 850s to have snow all the way down (below 200m), wich stays for more than just a couple hours. Again, sleet at around 0C isn’t worth it...

as long as there are no significant cool pools around us to put our straw in, the sea remaining so „hot“ to heat up any cold polar air mass, snow will be rare on the bottom of the pot. 

hopefully cold air builds up now to the east and we get some easterly flow in January... I had enough of this long lasting autumn...

-8 ,thought you wouldn’t need it that low for snow in mainland Europe. -7 850s are usually good enough for sea level snow here. Of course how long it sticks around for depends on other parameters 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
1 minute ago, seabreeze86 said:

-8 ,thought you wouldn’t need it that low for snow in mainland Europe. -7 850s are usually good enough for sea level snow here. Of course how long it sticks around for depends on other parameters 

Maybe misleading words from me. Of course it can snow at even +3c but it won’t stick due to high ground temperature, high dew points. For snow to stick and stay, -8 is substantially better

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
12 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Maybe misleading words from me. Of course it can snow at even +3c but it won’t stick due to high ground temperature, high dew points. For snow to stick and stay, -8 is substantially better

December 2017 saw thick snow in the Midlands and Shropshire without -3 uppers.

Posted

The wheels are coming off in the day 10 model thread.

Its my fault - told my mates that snow prospects are looking decent from Christmas onwards - now everything is shunted into at least January. 

Oh well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
44 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Its my fault - told my mates that snow prospects are looking decent from Christmas onwards - now everything is shunted into at least January. 

Oh well. 

C'mon man!! You should know better than that, you're a seasoned member on here..?‍♂️ 

You deserve a flick in the head for that 

1221126907_tenor(1).thumb.gif.edea9cd9b533d880ff3d6e0c57590588.gif

Posted

Looks like people are taking every run as gospel today on here. 

Background signals are great.   leave day tens finer details in the bin ....

Highly frustrating read on the model chat today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

When members start turning on each other after the afternoon runs revert back to mild. 

c7f3e1f1514e4ef2e7459c8aa8a9d390.thumb.gif.fcb7e012e8dfd663de03e9665b0edc32.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Afternoon guys. Well the weather is as bad as it gets here in N West. We haven't really had day break at all this week. Its been a little bit light by 10am. but already by 3.30pm its so dark you cant even read a newspaper. Add to that hours and hours of heavy rain that keeps us olduns inside, unless you have a car.  Very depressing for December. And to add salt to our injurys, Japan has had a sudden mind blowing Snowstorm, and New York pictures of The winter wonderland in Central park, makes me even more annoyed I didn't emigrate to British Columbia Canada to join my sister back in 1977-78. Plenty of snow where she is On the North Alasakan Highway town of Fort St John.  As Im from the sixties, I have to search my mind when I last saw in a blizzard, that was  about 1974 -1979 in Sussex, in fact that was the last heavy snow I have seen. Now I live near Liverpool, my chances of ever seeing 4 foot drifts again seem really remote, and at my age , I might not have enough time left to actually experience one . 2010 for me in Blackpool was a damp squid, with just a few inches, and very cold, but just 8 hours of medium snow that didnt cover hardly any of the town, and packed up snowing next day only ice remained. That was the last time i got the Winter cold weather payment for those on certain benefits. I have not had another payment for cold weather conditions since 2010.

Where are those Easterlies we used to have that bought heavy snow showers to East Sussex?   The UK seems to be changing prevailing wind directions from South Westerlies to SSW or especially South in Summer, that brings the very hot anomaly's temperatures that turns us into Mediterranean climate every year now and with it comes high levels of pollution from France in the summer.   All the action seem to be Canada and USA where Toronto isnt far from an area with -32C%..................Windy.com gives a damning 8 day trend of more south westerlies. with any blue contained East of Vienna or Scandinavia right up to the 28th. In 1963 we was already under 2 feet by the 28th December.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Oh well. 

Don’t worry I have Jona Lewie on standby to cheer you up!

I’m going to listen to it now and take myself back to Christmas 1980.

• Like 1