Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Snizzle alert!!!

D74C0164-A7F5-4B64-A88B-0C920ED4F359.png

884A8F67-0F9A-459B-A819-5552E4D06D3C.png

Pity the high isn't a 1ooo miles nw. Still it's a big change from the oz even at 144 hrs 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Dependent on DPs, some Eastern parts might see some snow...  as T850s get closer to -8C?:drunk-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

PV under attack in these charts.

image.thumb.png.14baef7ef92012fc39024d7336e8310f.png

Interest for some cold does seem to be growing. Good eye on these in the next week or so. MJO needs to be on board too.

Very dry/chilly at 252h

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

Nice patch of 20C uppers approaching the Med:

Yep t-shirt and wellies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
14 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Dependent on DPs, some Eastern parts might see some snow...  as T850s get closer to -8C?:drunk-emoji:

I noticed fellow yido I've been keeping a beady eye on those GFS precip charts! Night of 3rd-4th December shows many Eastern areas under wintry showers with 850s of -6 to -8c

20201125_103355.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, LRD said:

This is why I don't like anomaly charts:

image.thumb.png.48679c9a91d67528c007731f7488f02f.png

The ECM one on the left makes it appear that a nailed on long-lasting cold spell is on the way. But we're not (yet) facing that. Because pressure is so low, normally, over Greenland, that anomaly has to be huge to represent true northern blocking

I dont use them, they are inconsistent imho, so dont offer me much of a guide, ill stick to the noaa charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Chilly, seasonal period incoming:

anim_lpf2.gif

Feeling colder from D8 onwards on this run with that brisk easterly/SE breeze.

After this it seems to want to repeat the dropping trough but with less upstream amplification on this run it is too far east and a transient toppler (cold uppers for the east). Again out in the far reaches of no one cares, it repeats the pattern again. Not a bad signal as it could develop into something wintry:

anim_qgw9.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
1 hour ago, LRD said:

I can't really read those charts but I can't see an awful lot of difference in the shape of the green contour lines (a more curved pattern in the Atlantic but that's about it as far as I can see) between this chart from 2010:

image.thumb.png.f5ff09b2c446e9ab9553a746100d6b42.png

...and this one from today:

image.thumb.png.b973cd7b4727b56040689b6e9c406670.png

There are some differences in the red and blue areas of course which I presume is signifying lower and higher pressure systems but what do those green lines actually show?

Honest question not a pop at that particular model

Its the slight differences that make all the difference. the 2010 chart has the pressure anomaly in the mid north Atlantic further North, and a negative pressure anomaly over the UK.  So the 2010 chart will have more of a Northerly component. The current one has a flatter upper flow, and a shallow high pressure anomaly over the Uk . So the conditions we get will be markedly different despite a seemingly minor difference.

As i see them, today NOAAs are in a bit of a stalemate, with high pressure anomalies both to the west over the Atlantic, and to the East over Eatern Europe/Siberia. They are apparently holding the shallow troughing (seen in the 8-14 day chart more) in place. So theres not likely to be much change.. But IF the block to our East gives way, then the trough over us/just north of us could track Eastwards to sit over Scandinavia. Hey presto... a repeat of 2010 or 1981 is on the cards!.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Same basic page as yesterday with several varying options down the line, the ECM still quite keen to shove a strong LP southwards towards Spain which probably ruins otherwise decent synoptics. Only way to cold from that evolution is a near complete reshift in the pattern which obviously holds real risks as well.

The GFS has less risk of that but in itself isn't all that interesting. I think there is merit in the idea of some form of ridging trying to establish in the Atlantic which we are seeing in the GFS and to a lesser (and more westerly extent) on the ECM.

However, it does seem like we are in for a reasonably cool period, some days will probably be outright cold at the surface. How frosty it is probably depends on cloud cover, I suspect for the SE quarter there will be less chance of that than further NW.

So cool, maybe cold for some. Very little hope of snow other than maybe the odd bit of snizzle perhaps. Going forward little sign of mild, but also not much of a signal for anything too cold or snowy either. 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, johnholmes said:

Hi

I said I would come back with the EC-GFS 500 mb anomaly charts when they came out. Below is their issue dated today.

First I will try after this post to give an answer to the questions posed about them, LRD and ktom. Probably in the form of an enclosed answer so it does not clutter up the thread. They do take a lot of experience in looking at them to understand but they are also, usually, very good, at predicting major wavelength changes in the 6-14 day period, or indeed predicting no major change. But I'll do my best to explain them. Back to the latest EC-GFS output.

They are subtly different from previous runs, see below:

What has happened with this output is that instead of the emphasis being on the ridge-trough set up with an open trough extending into Europe, coupled with relatively high heights (ridging) in the Atlantic, is they have made much more of the bottom of that trough, indeed into a cut off upper low, noted by some in the synoptic outputs. This has the effect of stopping the deeper cold air flowing directly into Europe . Both are not that similar either compared to the past 2-3 days. Thus my suggestion, I think, a couple of days ago, that we needed NOAA to show a similar chart and EC-GFS to remain with that previous pattern, preferrably all 3 for a couple of days to give any major belief in the pattern occurring. So I would suggest that is now looking like it not occurring in the 6-14 day time scale,  although the air is going to be relatively colder than average at 500 mb. Maybe if I suggest that we spend more time in Pm type air rather than Tm air, so at the surface rather cold most of the next 6-14 days. No major snowfall events, ,more like fog/frost but with some wintry showers possible from, say, the Pennines/Welsh mounains north. Remember these are 'mean' or average predictions of the flow at 500 mb so from one day to another some variation in the flow is likely. This MIGHT change the 24-36 hour weather to a more wintry showers type from fog and frost.

Sorry if this does not make too much sense to some of you. I am rapidly losing the art of explaining charts and forecasts.

In fact the post from KW is a clearer idea of what to expect than mine!

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Add this as my forecast for the UK

So rather cold with Pm air much of the time, a reasonable 500 flow on noaa again, and off the atlantic with heights never especially low 546-552 DM for the south. Weather dependent on low level flow day to day. Cloud cover governing frost or not and ppn mainly cold rain where it occurs away from northern hills. This for the 6-14 day period; no idea beyond, not my patch.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
47 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

No chart attached to your post

Sorry will be soon

Can't edit the post

Edited by XanderP007
  • Like 1