Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

KW

its late Nov into early December so yes a great run of extended cild temps, so posting a chart for 30 Dec isn’t really comparable now is it?  If I was talking about end Dec into Jan....I’d agree with you

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Bearing in mind at no time does the UK see a cold flow, just scraps and a cold pool, not that promising, but it looks like we get caught in a static trough setup with a sustained <0c upper air reservoir. With the continental flow at times it will feel quite chilly. From the start to the depth of FI we see a static Russian HP block:

anim_inp0.gif  anim_xqz8.gif

The Azores high ebb and flows and the UK trapped in this reverse omega-block. The enabler is the wave running through the US, amplifying the upstream for a while. Towards the end of FI this wave breaks and the pattern flattens. Taking this run for what it is, a 10 day cool period early in December, nice!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Lovely charts cooler with frosts on way Christmas around corner and also Scandinavia high building later next week lovely start to winter .

65B48D66-2725-47EE-8213-7A9AB7950DAF.png

0C9007A8-5DE2-448D-8653-2E497CD1418F.png

• Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

KW

its late Nov into early December so yes a great run of extended cild temps, so posting a chart for 30 Dec isn’t really comparable now is it?  If I was talking about end Dec into Jan....I’d agree with you

BFTP

If it turns into the building blocks then yes, it will be fine. If this IS it, than thats a whole different story again.

I suppose my main point of view is though I don't see much realistic chance of snow from this run, I don't see any really deep cold, the surface flow is somewhat cold but is that really enough to label it as superb? 

Of course the pattern could shift subtly to become more interesting in future runs, but I'd feel far happier with any a modestly decent upper cold pool in Europe. Without that I fear any air we import will be cold, not cold enough type job. Seasonal maybe the best way to describe it, without any real prospects of snow in the medium term.

Lets hope for upgrades!

PS - its a heck of a lot better than last year though, and we keep a decent period of below average temperatures with on real sign of any milder intrusions at the surface, so I'm hoping I;m not coming across too negative with it! I'm just a bit snow starved from last few winters!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 8

Posted

Back end gfs ops are beginning to show something of interest  v high up 

worth monitoring given some of the ec zonal wind forecasts for dec 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, what to make of the GFS 06Z? I'd guess at, apart from a brief flirtation with some possibly wintriness from the east, T850s just don't like being cold enough for anything spectacular... Temps being mostly slightly below average looks about right. And, it's nae even winter yet:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Warming I hope Blue? To help negate the inatiable coupling risk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

I know people don’t like screenshots of Twitter on here but I think this is of relevance

credit to Matt Hugo

2596E93F-CEF6-4397-A3D1-90641EB4D783.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
14 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Warming I hope Blue? To help negate the inatiable coupling risk

gfsnh-10-384.png?6

Yep. Very early days though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
3 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Also worth noting the GFS 00z extended ensembles are also starting to show more ridging occuring with decent attempts at building HP towards Greenland from the Azores in quite a few of them, to varying degrees of success.

Given all that, it is indeed something to keep an eye out for.

About time we got some luck given recent winters.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

The pattern is evolving in a way that will promote a stratospheric warming event over Siberia/Eurasia in late Week 2.
quoted from M Ventrice

any thoughts on this?? Anybody want to shed any light on the subject for the less informed

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

Met Office have just issued a warning for freezing fog.

5282D958-EBF2-4526-BD99-B9C54BD1008B.thumb.png.bdcfc9388478b78bb4f9d71060e30892.pngB51E8452-6E9F-45FD-B6DB-ED10BC585226.thumb.png.3a58517e66a64b3a9c7197fb96cea1e8.png

Pretty rare for any rime to develop on low ground in the UK but if you can reach/live on any local high ground you may be in for a feast of a proper Winter scene! (I know...I know it is still Autumn! )

Hopefully some of you get lucky. :santa-emoji:

Bringing it back to model discussion...tomorrow could be very chilly - once again cloud/fog/freezing fog permitting. 

Friday UKV snapshot 12:00 - Winter coat/jacket weather for many if this happens! 

722B124B-7B77-45AC-9369-D2EE0BDDA591.thumb.png.e537fd6d49416d277347ee88548a0891.png

All the best!

Well with the cloud cover coming down across the centre of england right now i expect it to form maybe early hours of the morning or theyve got it seriously wrong lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

In quite deep FI, but gonna compare what the 00Z models - GFS, ECMWF and GEM show at 216 hours just to illustrate a few things. Mostly though focusing on the Low Pressure 

00Z GEM

1969165C-BFB7-4EB5-BFE6-C84FC472364D.thumb.png.0a3bb1f6981a78bf971428a8b625a33d.png

00Z GFS

90AA189B-9193-490B-9255-EE55A80F4801.thumb.png.542dc737bfbf135ebe475e10db34fcbf.png

00Z ECMWF 

EA47A9F5-B7CE-432B-89B3-F0FA0754F104.thumb.png.8c420eaeea7966eed5a0df08dd1a3dd3.png

Looks like to me that the ECMWF is on its own with its Westward placement of the Low Pressure, whereas the GEM has it to the South-South-West of the UK and the GFS directly to the South of us. The ECMWF has a deep cut off upper trough (blues and some purple) very close by over Ireland. It’s a very grumpy Low Pressure system who must have clearly got wound up by something. To be fair, since Low Pressure is more shallow and thus more Southerly placed on the other 2 operational models, it is probable that the ECMWF is over-blowing that Low. Hence its more Northerly position to the West of us. Someone posted some of the ECMWF ensemble pressure graphs that showed the operational model being an outlier in pressure towards the end of its run.

So I do feel there is a real possibility it could make adjustments East or South-East with that Low Pressure on future runs. It may still disrupt Low Pressure close by to the West of us as both the likely amplification upstream and the blocking to our North-East try to force the Low Pressure, South. But it’s destination could be more to our South rather than South-West. I guess to avoid the risk of some milder 850 hPa temperatures being dragged up from the South, then you don’t really want the Low Pressure to get stuck to the West or South-West of the UK. Edit: Looking at the 12Z ICON that was posted above, does make me realise, that sort of situation can’t be completely discarded yet. Particularly as it’s an outlook quite far away and liable to further changes, whether it ends up good or bad for cold and wintry weather.

Also sneaked into Nick S’s house to borrow his crayons to draw an ideal scenario for getting some very cold weather over the UK. (Blue arrow showing direction the cold weather would head in). 

FE4FC391-FA1B-4A7D-86D5-29CF127A6334.thumb.jpeg.2e61b3df04b242cf93868ad01863a828.jpeg

Vortex to our North stamped out. A negative NAO pattern takes hold and the Jetstream is sent on a Southerly track. Position of both Lows and blocking High above great for bringing in a Polar Continental Easterly flow, which can bring in deep cold and heavy snow showers. And sometimes, especially with disturbances in the flow, longer spells of sleet and snow. 

In the close time range, and as Mr Frost and a few others pointed out, some dry, and at times, frosty and foggy, weather to come as both the Scandinavian High and ridging from the Azores High influence our weather for a time. Seasonal does feel like the word. ⛄

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Adding some extra stuff
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

These +384 GFS Strat charts proved to be absolute cannon fodder last Winter - how many times did we see these posted with the phrase "It's looking toasty up there" @Paul_1978 

The Stratosphere thread has tumbleweed blowing through it...apart from a few tweets and that chart you posted above. 

Would be great to hear from some of the experts - for example  @Tamara @Blessed Weather @lorenzo on what they think could happen going forward? 
Would be very much appreciated. 

Those charts were right. The warning did occur. It just didn’t have much imprint on the troposphere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
5 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

These +384 GFS Strat charts proved to be absolute cannon fodder last Winter - how many times did we see these posted with the phrase "It's looking toasty up there" @Paul_1978 

The Stratosphere thread has tumbleweed blowing through it...apart from a few tweets and that chart you posted above. 

Would be great to hear from some of the experts - for example  @Tamara @Blessed Weather @lorenzo on what they think could happen going forward? 
Would be very much appreciated. 

They tend to be cannon fodder in isolation, however the ECM has been trending that way too for a few runs now, coupled with the persistent Ural High/Aleutian low signal from the models, it's been almost expected that we'd begin to see the GFS picking up on some strat warming. We've also got a strong +EAMT event being modelled which can often produce patterns favourable for a trop-led attack on the SPV.

EnkOuyXWMAAfjMW.thumb.jpeg.1c089fd6bb8f6f7ba75cab7bcd6ebea2.jpeg

So while the GFS extended Strat charts in isolation can't be trusted, there is reason to believe they might be onto something at the moment. 

+ I believe the GFS was upgraded during the year and so far, it seems the huge bias it had last winter has been resolved.

• Like 2

Posted

What is very encouraging in the output is the propensity to drop energy down through the UK into Europe.

It might take a few attempts (a few weeks)  but I do think sooner or later, much good will come of this for us.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Lower heights  extending further east. Some snow across higher areas in the spine of the country. 
image.thumb.png.f148d20b4453bd6b6c40fcccdedd35bb.png
image.thumb.png.1b7e931859306bd86187051e3ec8aa76.png

• Like 2