Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
4 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Latest clusters...☺️

20201130210449-a4cc026d45752e827caed2fe1d7fea263bbd1a98.thumb.png.6418bc4599927b272f7df1f8eac32907.png

You have to say they look pretty good for the UK And think some parts of the Uk have a fair chance of seeing some snow in the first half of December.As ever the devil will be in the detail and the models are already struggling with events on Friday!!Just nice to start winter with below average temperatures something which has been lacking in the last 5 or 6 decembers.

• Like 4

Posted

Short term - complex set up. Models showing the trough dropping directly through the UK, trend ever so slightly further east, and my hunch is it will be a bit further east than currently projected. Models appear to be backing away from a deepening situation, more of a stretched low pressure splitting in situ somewhat and heading south towards central Europe.

Longer term - heights look like building somewhat to the north, with the jet aligned NW-SE so any further  frontal attempts will most likely head on a NW-SE alignment, meaning a generally cold spell.

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

This is now a consistent forecast from the 46.  No model is likely to strongly predict a reversal a month or more out but this likely weak upper vortex should allow blocked patterns in the trop to continue (or reform if we go zonal for a period in December)

it should be noted that the 46 maintains a low height anomaly of some kind to our south out to new year ....

Jesus mate I just spat my night time coffee out reading that last paragraph..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

This is now a consistent forecast from the 46.  No model is likely to strongly predict a reversal a month or more out but this likely weak upper vortex should allow blocked patterns in the trop to continue (or reform if we go zonal for a period in December)

it should be noted that the 46 maintains a low height anomaly of some kind to our south out to new year ....

Blimey!!!

a lock-in anyone,not that we are locked in anyway

jokes aside

this is good news for an extended Dec cold spell in my book

not getting excited though as things can put the mockers on this tiny blighty little island but i am slightly excited

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Here are the latest ECM monthly temperature (T2m) Anomalies - weekly breakdown below! Anyone for a below average December and a pretty decent start to January? :snowman-emoji:

07/12 to 13/12

4A8E451C-399D-4F63-920F-1514280D49D9.thumb.png.0adc0c8b034bafc31f171a7338f119ad.png

14/12 to 20/12

F506AEC8-E806-4005-8B35-18D81F69E6B7.thumb.png.ff504100dda063c81b443e37a63fadb1.png

21/12 to 27/12

300B9897-0D5B-4292-B847-A23094CB68C5.thumb.png.d4813d1b73070f9b45adb562310e897f.png

28/12 to 03/01

1C3DCA33-B121-4B49-B8AD-5ED498226A18.thumb.png.3c6ce9b73a03720c5989e399e9d8f5f8.png

04/01 to 10/01

0A1DD626-12DE-4AA5-9875-B38553F75579.thumb.png.b4ffd26186626057dc823250747493fb.png

As ever subject to change! Lovely to look at though! :santa-emoji:

18z ukv out yet mate?love your updates!!hopefuly we get a snowy one in your next!!❄!!18z gfs here we go....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
1 hour ago, syed2878 said:

I think that the GFS today 12 hours run is thought of in line with thoughts from the Met they are going for slightly above average 10th from mid December onwards let’s hope the four once are wrong mind you they did stress it’s a low confidence forecast

Low confidence seems to be the main thing really. Don’t have anywhere near the knowledge of that of the Met Office, although anything could happen really during that period. My personal feeling though is that we will continue to see the Azores High displaced to our West with further Low Pressure dropping down towards us and into the nearby continent. 

That ECMWF mean is encouraging with the area of Low Pressure maintained to the South-East of the UK and should keep the Azores High held up to our West. Although I would have loved to see a little less in the way of cyclonic activity to our North-West, the fact the blue and purple monster remains stuck on the other side of the Northern Hemisphere is a plus. Should prevent the Jetstream upstream on our side of the Northern Hemisphere from powering up too much throwing constant beastly Lows towards us from the Atlantic keeping the pattern as flat as a carpet.

It is a little bit of a delicate balance I feel. Any over estimation of the trough signal over Europe and the under-estimation of low heights over Greenland and Canada, then there’s a risk of the pattern getting shifted further East with a milder, Westerly, Atlantic drivern pattern trying to spill back through. (Unless the Scandinavia or Russian High puts up a big fight, or the Azores can manage to directly ridge over the UK).

Despite the mean not going out as far as mid-December at the moment, I think there is more in favour of some kind of cool and meridional sort of  pattern continuing, than a raging Atlantic one. With other charts posted above supporting further blocking opportunities. Is far away to get too preoccupied about and things can quite easily change, but is nice to see and fun to discuss. 

• Like 4

Posted

few images from the 18z icon. Just for fun  but a quick rundown  of the snow showers  for the end of the week.  Turning from rain to snow  across east of the country   and then turning heavy  as it makes itsway across  west and North   quite a few  could see heavy snow   away from lowland east  anglia  and the south east  which could be rain.

iconeu_uk1-1-75-0.thumb.png.dfa6da9477879e1c8e14dd36ff44cb83.png

iconeu_uk1-1-77-0.png

iconeu_uk1-1-81-0.png

iconeu_uk1-1-84-0.png

iconeu_uk1-1-84-0.png

iconeu_uk1-1-87-0.png

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I look at this thread every year. Quite happy to caught up with the excitement. 

How does this year’s prognosis compare with others at this time of the year in recent times?  So often much enthusiasm at the start of the winter when sadly later on it is often a matter what if or what could have been. Then where is my therapist. 

Is anyone brave enough to take a punt at us having a cold winter of note?  Bookmakers have reduced the odds for a white Christmas I believe. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Snipper said:

I look at this thread every year. Quite happy to caught up with the excitement. 

How does this year’s prognosis compare with others at this time of the year in recent times?  So often much enthusiasm at the start of the winter when sadly later on it is often a matter what if or what could have been. Then where is my therapist. 

Is anyone brave enough to take a punt at us having a cold winter of note?  Bookmakers have reduced the odds for a white Christmas I believe. 

first half Dec will come in cold...rest of winter no idea ! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

Cluster 1 is a coldies dream - link up of heights to the north, trough underneath.

Other clusters have potential but no knockout.

Yes it is and in the minority too,i hope this continues

we deserve this after so so long without a cold spell,well maybe not that long ago but it feels like an eternity

but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet,yes there are some snow chances/potential at the end of the week and into next weekend and this is the focal point at the moment,what happens after that,who knows,one hurdle at a time i would say but there is certainly better looking prospects going into next month☺️

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

The colder signal is strengthening EPS now showing a maximum of 3C in London on Friday. 

09003AC2-A72C-4072-AD1B-0874726AC1D8.thumb.png.f59586ee75f1b6ef9913d6b4119e6dbb.png

Yes thats cold,esp for the city .

Rural areas lower, esp further North ...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Be careful with the latter stages of the ICON precip charts - they switch to low-res and blow up the precip rates. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1