Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
1 hour ago, jules216 said:

The static low to the east of Slovakia did the job for me, it looked for a while that Tatra mountain shadow will prevent me from any snow but once uppers felll below -9 the convection broke trough last night resulting in my town receiving more snow then pretty much any location in Slovakia. This is the earliest snow accumulation in many years. This will thaw in Thursday when we will be on the wrong side of low pressure but indications are that temperatures will once again tumble below average after weekend, fingers crossed. Before hand a nice few cold night ahead. The mean between 20/11 and 03/12 will be about 4C below average thanks to inversion cold early and now proper good synoptic. Fingers crossed UK/IE will tap in to some snow soon. Pictures 2 and 3 are my balcony views this morning

128624849_378301550061572_4626224181092876725_n.jpg

128691561_378891853438142_3032620617900977850_n.jpg

128762965_813877569345279_6766988466997306077_n.jpg

128807510_1348391792168337_1476714559371160346_n.jpg

Poprad.PNG

Fantastic photos, thanks for sharing, its always interesting to read about conditions elsewhere in Europe. That's probably more snow than  I will see all winter.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MATT☀️ said:

Wow guys, I've not been so excited since Borris announced the first Lockdown... Has strange as that may seem.. Tell you what GFS ens are bringing alot of colder options to the table, and there could well be fine margins of falling snow during the next 10 day's or so! Perhaps the mods may soon be interested in a little competition, regarding the first place to record falling snow... When and where!! Let's keep the excitement going I say, its been a while since we had these kind of encouraging factors.... Long may it continue.. ☀️

gens-0-1-168.png

gens-0-0-180.png

gens-11-1-168.png

gens-13-1-192.png

gens-17-1-300.png

tenor-23.gif

Oh my the 12th looks like snow event for south, that low pressure!!

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Snow lover 2020 said:

Oh my the 12th looks like snow event for south, that low pressure!!

Usually it would be ...but given the lack of cold to draw on (esp from the east) it’s probably cold rain away from high ground. Plenty of time for upgrades though...

4DCDAD70-0D7C-4ADC-BD1D-E3A34E944010.png

261160EF-F787-4FBF-BD4D-C00C461AB20C.png

• Like 4

Posted

All theses dream synoptics but the air isnt cold enough yet for low-level snow.Typical.probably best charts we will see all Winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow!

2 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

All theses dream synoptics but the air isnt cold enough yet for low-level snow.Typical.probably best charts we will see all Winter

And this is exactly what I don't like with this model output. It is very rare to have a set up like this, and now that models show that, there is no cold in Europe. It is so frustrating

Ι also can't see how these set ups can be upgraded. There is no cold in the entire Europe continent.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, jmp223420 said:

Forgive me for asking here, but which month is typically best for north sea temps. to be at their lowest?

would say around 15th Feb to 15 March

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

For lovers of cold rain, these charts'll be a godsend -- not so, for all us snow-lovers... Way too much warm air lingering over SE Europe...?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

But, thankfully, by T+384, there are signs that the warm pool will become isolated, and combined with general Continental cooling, our fantastic synoptics might eventually pay off::santa-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, topo said:

And this is exactly what I don't like with this model output. It is very rare to have a set up like this, and now that models show that, there is no cold in Europe. It is so frustrating

Ι also can't see how these set ups can be upgraded. There is no cold in the entire Europe continent.

My thoughts if I may for consideration. We have a continental landmass lacking it’s warm air supply, low solar input and already unforecasted snow events in Eastern Europe [ jules post ] which will lower temputures.. I’m seeing a self generating cold pool to our east that only needs to drop by a couple of degrees to put us on the right side of marginal and feasible at timelines we are talking of a week plus.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

My thoughts if I may for consideration. We have a continental landmass lacking it’s warm air supply, low solar input and already unforecasted snow events in Eastern Europe [ jules post ] which will lower temputures.. I’m seeing a self generating cold pool to our east that only needs to drop by a couple of degrees to put us on the right side of marginal and feasible at timelines we are talking of a week plus.

I noticed uppers on morning ECM was a touch colder. Near continent cooling nicely. I agree, it wouldn’t take much for things to look much more rosy. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

What a joke!...just seen the latest ecm 0z and that Russian high does nothing, just stays put in a permanent position. I don't like to say it but by day 10 looks like signs of the jet getting going towards the Greenland area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Re people saying there isn't much cold on the continent to tap into. It doesn't take much for the European continental landmass to cool down significantly over a relatively short space of time. So I wouldn't worry too much about that at this stage. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T240 and look at that lot out of the 30 not many not good. Love a double negative. 26  

C510B3FA-9B39-4997-9C2D-B2737FFE8578.png

1E8F004D-376F-463D-9677-B1E433FBF58D.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
8 minutes ago, danm said:

Re people saying there isn't much cold on the continent to tap into. It doesn't take much for the European continental landmass to cool down significantly over a relatively short space of time. So I wouldn't worry too much about that at this stage. 

Yet is cold over southern Germany and much eastern Europe at the moment, maxes staying close to or just below freezing over next few days, despite T850s around 0C even a little above. Though pretty average for early December.

3pm today

GFSOPME06_9_5.thumb.png.ce2c2be11e8e476e5f5d59852edb8f5f.png

Weds 3pm

GFSOPME06_57_5.thumb.png.d2a740f891cf9e9a0b4270ea4cd1fcff.png

Does turn less cold from the south over central and eastern Europe later in the week, as that low drops SE close to UK and winds turn S to SEly there.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Snow lover 2020 said:

That means mild and wet 

On this occasion it means slightly below average and wet, in 2010 it meant severely cold and wet but that was a proper Greenland block.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, That ECM said:

T240 and look at that lot out of the 30 not many not good. Love a double negative. 26  

C510B3FA-9B39-4997-9C2D-B2737FFE8578.png

1E8F004D-376F-463D-9677-B1E433FBF58D.png

Top image interesting. Just did a quick and dirty assessment and came up with:

4 with a north easterly component 
18 easterly 
4 westerly
4 north westerly 
1 south westerly 
1 northerly 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

On this occasion it means slightly below average and wet, in 2010 it meant severely cold and wet but that was a proper Greenland block.

Not feeling it this year Feb?

I have to say I am more optimistic about seeing some of the white stuff this Winter than I have for a few years.

I think we will need more than one bite of the cherry to see anything resembling a classic cold spell but I can see us lucking out at some point between now and Christmas.

Even FI on most of the latest runs dont seem to be keen on lows driving West to East so we only need a few "wedges" to our North to give us a dumping if the Jet stays predominantly South?

Just need the continent to cool down a little more and we could be in business!

Anyway eyes down for the 12zs.....

Someone somewhere might even be seeing snow before the end of the week!  ❄

Edited by Kentish Snowman
  • Like 7