Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
4 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

There will be surprises. There always is! You see...

Indeed if you take the second half of the week from MO for NW England becoming colder with ice,frost and risk of snow".

C.S

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

While a true Cold spell is not indicated on EC a more seasonal outlook is...

There is low temps, well below in some places, and probably some frost etc...

Beats wind and rain off the Atlantic in my world.. 

It is a frosty run. I know a fair bit will change but it forecasts an impressive min of -15.2°C following Monday in Cairngorms area perhaps more useful in highlighting potential for very cold nights.

725956A5-3D3E-41AF-AEEB-B71D86144508.thumb.jpeg.9ba03d689e96311464805c4428d02a27.jpeg

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Several posts moved.

For general chat about Winter's past & present, head over to here:

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/94744-winter-202021-moans-ramps-chat/

Thanks.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
21 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I know, I'm focusing on thereafter Nick !!

Course you are nw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening!  Lots of blocking ! It does mean one thing ,colder than average across the UK during this time of year. But , how cold it will get ? Computer models really struggle with this scenario,  but we could be looking at the coldest synoptics since 2010.........

h850t850eu-7.png

ecmt850.240.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It has been like that for days here, with extremely bad air quality.

On a side-note, snow or no snow, ECM 90 hrs > would bring some interesting weather, in terms of hefty showers with hail, thunder, and Wintriness to some places.

A little more exciting compared to the last few days that have been endured down here.

Country file forecast pretty keen on snow for the Welsh mountains - snowdown and mid wales Black mountains. 
I slight eastward movement and the Clint Hills, Malverns and Cotswolds could see some early winter snow. 

• Like 3

Posted

Evening all

Another day, another set of 12Z output to consider and certainly plenty to comment on yesterday so let's see where we are at the start of a new week and almost at the official beginning of winter:

12Z GEM - yesterday this was very much in the negative alignment with the block to the east forcing successive LP systems SE over or just to the west of the British Isles. On then to tonight and by T+120 the LP has shifted south on cure and become a complex feature with multiple centres over northern and central Britain.  The complex trough fills in situ with the next Atlantic feature - a shallower LP - sliding SE over Ireland. Clear pressure rises to the NE and perhaps a hint of a rise of pressure in mid-Atlantic and the latter becomes a key development by T+240 as the Azores HP ridges North and North East with the LP settling over the continent leaving the British Isles in an E'ly airflow.  Unremarkable 850s at the time with the air source further south than some might like but the Eurasian bloc is very much in charge at this stage with the Atlantic moribund.  

image.thumb.png.80e517e3ece928192273c42d498afbe3.pngimage.thumb.png.61a62bbecc3eec8d94fc754db21c29ee.pngimage.thumb.png.6213b1335b40e659c52931a66ed26b7d.png

12Z GFS OP - perhaps the pick of the output last evening with a classic route to an E'ly - some similarities to what tonight's GEM is showing - but with increasingly cold 850s as we approach mid December. The initial trough disruption south means by T+108 a defined and quite deep LP over North Wales with presumably plenty of rain, strong winds and hill snow.  It doesn't clear fully to the south but fills slowly over or just to the east of the British isles as pressure rises to both east and west. Moving further into FI and we find a bit of a stalemate developing with pressure rises to the east and west slowly squeezing out the residual trough which has by T+264 headed south to a core position over Corsica. Ultimately, as you might expect from GFS, the Atlantic re-asserts and by T+384 there's quite a familiar look but the LP still aligns negatively. The NH profile suggests a new but shallow PV re-forming over Canada and the 10 HPA profile in FI is very interesting with warming first from Siberia and then from Europe putting a lot of pressure on the vortex so it's an interesting scenario if not perhaps quite as positive for cold fans as yesterday.

image.thumb.png.c81922c87224c801a4405a1eb6676a2e.pngimage.thumb.png.b626581ff65650ffb53f6b4ee895e61e.pngimage.thumb.png.7293d4645d4dd89428a941a5df22facb.pngimage.thumb.png.fb27f5c5c390f7a891fc8e7af50d4d58.png

12Z ECM - better last night than Friday I thought. As we see with the other models, the LP sinks south and by T+120 the centre is over northern Britain. By T+168, the LP has moved further south to Biscay but there's no rapid build of pressure behind initially as the next Atlantic LP is already sliding SE further to the west of the British Isles and by T+240 the LP is off the west of Iberia and there is a clear pressure rise to the west and North west while at the same time the Eurasian HP had extended a ridge into Scandinavia. I'm struggling to see the very cold 850s but I'm not seeing a raging Atlantic either. I'm seeing a disorganised PV suggesting an anticyclonic set up is very much on the cards.

image.thumb.png.2539420689ebcc111eea1043ed07377a.pngimage.thumb.png.ced49de535aeb833d924045cd7b79d4c.pngimage.thumb.png.4df24ea053c48904d3d2fe29f7326b33.png

Where are we then this evening? The initial evolution is clear but there remains a lot of uncertainty as to how the LP exits to the south and where it goes and whether we will see the build in pressure behind it. Both GEM and ECM suggest we will see this but GFS is less clear and defaults back to an Atlantic-led scenario deep in FI (well, the OP does, Control is if anything even messier suggesting a lack of clarity in the medium to longer term). 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Needs to cool down considerably down here (S England) over the coming days to ensure any precipitation becomes what we want. Models are very interesting and in my view good watching currently, get the block/s in and the rest could evolve. Bumped into a Net weather enthusiast today locally which is a first, and we both discussed the past few years model watching  and the great expertise on this forum. Let’s get this pattern locked and loaded

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow
21 hours ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Yep, going through the lush countryside down many winding roads, but find themselves getting lost as they find the sign posts for freezing, wintry, weather. They should have gone down the highway!

I think we have to step back and look at the bigger picture.  Think of the snow like a train. You look down the lines and see it in the distance. Its on its way but not here yet. And when it arrives at the station we've still  got to wait for the doors to open.... now where have we heard those words before.....

• Like 1

Posted

These diving lows historically tend to shift east slowly closer to the time. Its usually as we hit the 72-96 range and under. I still think there is scope for further eastward adjustments between 200 and 400 miles by T-0

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Thanks 1