Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Personally i would like the UKMO to verify - ridge stronger and further up towards Greenland, based on the modus operandi, the ECM will be even more amplified, which would be great, sods law suggests it wont though, on this occasion i think not, GFS might be right - for once at D8.

Yeh looking at the 144 hour chart on ukmo i would like the ukmo to be correct from there on in!!!more amplified towards greenland as well!!as good as gfs looks between 144 and 216 hours i can only imagine ukmo looking a lot better

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It’s certainly seasonal ECM op/ensemble guidance tread a bit colder later next week. Not showing much cold nights but ECM last night forecast London to have a low of 2C, Northolt in West London fell to -2.3C coldest night so far. With the fog a very wintry feeling morning temps have struggled highest temp today 6C. 

1E75BD43-9BA9-4AFA-BDBD-07F303C2F935.thumb.png.a9bc3961a83c3edee55a41e028853a76.pngF81D30CC-207B-4610-AF10-57F4B2AECE86.thumb.png.67f4cd6dfd602a13412051b3a6af5d28.png

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

GEM follows the general theme of the sinking low and heights to our NE

image.thumb.png.12f41ae52f13f330986f0329ce2af131.png

850s are underwhelming though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

Looks like the GFS 12z is trying to repeat a similar pattern later on as well. Seems to be reluctant to re-establish a flat zonal flow at the very least.

2C54A81F-8C0B-4E23-92C9-E7098B982E4F.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.
2 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

Looks like the GFS 12z is trying to repeat a similar pattern later on as well. Seems to be reluctant to re-establish a flat zonal flow at the very least.

Obviously it fails again because why wouldn’t it.

273D8780-E89C-4DD7-89B2-116B535A186A.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
3 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

Problem is that 6Z did want to.....

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

Big part of this is no Euro high..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

It's an isolated GFS FI chart but look at the size of the Azores High on this frame (still showing signs of wanting to be drawn north or NNW)

image.thumb.png.472816ed926c7d3dd3fc58e16ced985c.png

It's absolutely massive... as the actress said to the bishop

Edited by LRD

Posted

Looking good. Plenty of WAA into Greenland to sustain the pressure rise  

06057554-C08C-440C-BB9D-1AC641F6F6ED.png

52BB9632-4464-493A-B8E8-8580360935AC.png

06178FFB-2A92-4898-9F29-021447119AB6.png

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

All in all not a bad start to this early Friday evening, quite liking the look of the UKMO over the GFS with better ridging up into Greenland.

UN144-21.thumb.GIF.bf1af04ad9a48137ab88b131a85fab23.GIF

Now over to the ECM to ruin everyone's start to the weekend!

• Like 4

Posted

very fi gfs op is interesting hemispherically  - there have been hints that some of the vortex will return towards Canada which will stretch it and the Canadian ridge may then punch through to split the tpv. that would then lead to a game of where do the bits fall thereafter ……. one to watch whilst deciding where the jet will place the diving atlantic systems as they traverse the atlantic ridge and drop into europe

• Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

very fi gfs op is interesting hemispherically  - there have been hints that some of the vortex will return towards Canada which will stretch it and the Canadian ridge may then punch through to split the tpv. that would then lead to a game of where do the bits fall thereafter ……. one to watch whilst deciding where the jet will place the diving atlantic systems as they traverse the atlantic ridge and drop into europe

Exeter seem to be suggestive of PM airflow through December ,which ties in with the idea of systems heading into the base of Europe ..( I like the moths to a flame reference to the low heights in place in Southern Europe attracting the jetstream).

Need assistance upstream though...which you alluded to I see..

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
17 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

All in all not a bad start to this early Friday evening, quite liking the look of the UKMO over the GFS with better ridging up into Greenland.

UN144-21.thumb.GIF.bf1af04ad9a48137ab88b131a85fab23.GIF

Now over to the ECM to ruin everyone's start to the weekend!

Guaranteed to be the pooper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Brown nosing and hope casting is fine but should probably be in the moans and ramp section. Anyway not much in the way of a fixed direction on any output today ie mobility or a blocked scenario. Jet is trending south via the UK but nothing out of the ordinary on the 850s front. Guess the loss of the euro high is a plus but looking to the nnw a weakening of the PV towards Greenland is for me a must. Hopefully Heighths exiting the esb will give things a boost. Enjoy your weekend

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Not a clear pattern going forward IMO, making anything showing in the longer term even more unlikely than normal.

Quite an unusual synoptic pattern with the Azores high/Atlantic ridge, Scandi/Russian high and the trough in the middle. 

Cold potential higher than normal, but more runs needed. 

• Like 5

Posted

As the Russian high nudges ever closer to Scandinavia,will the low pressure from

the northwest track to the west,over us or just to our east.Very interesting synopsis 

and what is the preferred track to maintain cold continental air over us.I have no

preference as to me personally the high pressure from Russia edging west will

control cold easterly over us within 7 to 10 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Just looking through the GEFS 12z I’m not seeing the usual (default) southwesterly mush dominating anytime soon...indeed I’m thinking something rather colder is more likely, something more blocked?...hoping for a December arctic blast but at least something colder than average would be acceptable?

• Like 6