Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into the start of Winter

Paul

Posted
22 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

That is a Significant amount of blocking. Whatever about it getting cold enough for snow, surely there would be no swift return to zonality from that.

That chart led on to one of the mildest winters I can remember. And that's saying something. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

That chart led on to one of the mildest winters I can remember. And that's saying something. 

Oh. Which winter was this?

Posted

Evening all

Interesting model output has naturally produced a surge in comments and there's little point repeating what others have said (though that's not stopped me before). My perception is the models have struggled with the forthcoming evolution to some degree. That happens when conflicting signals are at play and naturally at this time of year we always hope the dice will fall kindly in terms of cold and, dare one say it, snow for the UK.

Needless to say, GEM 12Z has provoked plenty of comment. The LP disrupts just to the south of the British Isles leaving us on the cold side and while the 850s aren't too exciting, it's still the kind of chart we want to be seeing and the key point is the Atlantic is moribund.

image.thumb.png.422adda4cc14a8d16b7caaa1b3da32f4.png

ECM doesn't quite play the same game. The LP disrupts but then splits to the east of the British Isles - with one segment heading north and the other south leaving us in a chilly col:

image.thumb.png.6019eab18c349ec42af5e9e3887680d1.png

Over to GFS 12Z OP:

image.thumb.png.8fce3587771f56d38bcea795dab9b7ae.png

That works out pretty well for the British Isles as the trough heads SE and pressure builds behind it leading to several days of cool, if not cold weather with a NE'ly flow setting up for southern and eastern areas. It's not as wonderful as this morning's 00Z pre-Parallel GFS which is a thing of beauty for fans of cold and snow. The main thing into FI is the PV remains over northern Siberia.

I'm not sure where this is going - some form of disruption of the Icelandic LP SE into the British Isles looks certain but where and how that disruption occurs and where that leaves us is far from resolved. The likelihood is pressure will build from either the NE or NW but whether that lasts or we see a reset to a more traditional synoptic pattern I don't know. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Well best we don’t look too far ahead. Looking quite wintry for you in near term in Central Europe even perhaps significant snowfall middle of next week, not a terrible way to start winter? 

18599A70-F37E-4AE6-886F-C3414BA47D79.thumb.png.44aab351cf784a219e1c83743d8b326b.png

Oh sure, at least it feels seasonal. Should get some snowfall over weekend in my neck of the woods. Let's see what the next few days will bring.

Anyway, P10 for me please though not sure you guys in UK would agree

image.thumb.png.cde5699a283cf0762b1e49e57bd2663c.png

Edited by daz_4
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Oh. Which winter was this?

Top left hand corner of the chart gives the answer. Winter of 89/90.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I like the ECM 12z operational, it turns more unsettled but also colder from the second half of next week and would surely become cold enough for snow on high ground? especially further north?...perhaps some of us will get to see snow sooner than we think?   ❄️ ..better than the 0z anyway!

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

A fairly chilly day 10 mean on the ECM. Good to see the vortex still moving away from Greenland on this run as well. Just hoping that the 00z run tomorrow doesn’t blow up the low again.

BE8AE06A-75F2-4558-9196-2B8C39798D61.png

77F2993F-68A5-4DB5-A40B-5EE7D7B365B9.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
23 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

A fairly chilly day 10 mean on the ECM. Good to see the vortex still moving away from Greenland on this run as well. Just hoping that the 00z run tomorrow doesn’t blow up the low again.

BE8AE06A-75F2-4558-9196-2B8C39798D61.png

77F2993F-68A5-4DB5-A40B-5EE7D7B365B9.png

Hi @Frosty Winter, welcome to netweather and the madness of the winter model thread.  As you say the position of the vortex on the ECM mean is consistent yet again and gives hope for a reasonable amount of time where blocking scenarios can happen, even if they don’t land it for us first time, we should be thinking next 3 weeks to land something.  I’m not too worried about the day 8 low, looks overblown, I reckon at least it will become shallower and more elongated as it draws closer in time.  

• Like 6

Posted

Improved EPS in cuckoo land the Euro trough a long term feature, recent winters the Euro high has been omnipresent I know its very early but perhaps a sign this winter will be different. The Ski resorts will be very happy, we should be able to generate our own cold in Europe, might not be extraordinary, but perhaps cold enough for snow at low levels at times? I think it's fairly evident now the first half to December will be chilly. Most years we are in a much worse position than this.

1014577507_14-kmEPSGlobalNorthAtlanticMSLPAnomaly-2.thumb.gif.8ad63d33da7841132901dc02fe39229c.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Can you link it - I cant see it on WZ - I havent been on there in years!

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Wetterkarten GFS Europe 99Z

image.thumb.png.4d161382f465487a5dd10ed7a5699ab4.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

A few members from the latest EC46 Zonal forecast going for a major SSW in late Dec/early Jan.. 

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 20.40.15.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
8 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

A few members from the latest EC46 Zonal forecast going for a major SSW in late Dec/early Jan.. 

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 20.40.15.png

And the earliest of them not far out of range of the GFS, so we might see something showing up at the end of GFS runs quite soon, particularly if the Aleutian low, Russian high combo continues to be a feature in the current output, as per GFS 12z T270, and the strat at the end of the run:

C834CC4C-6DEC-4D2C-B05E-CAC1B5043243.thumb.png.6800a62c1914c4c117c37b5bb6ed6ad5.png0D993524-0AFE-4108-A221-A384D434E711.thumb.png.42c5bfda11c2234e2f1ee3be51b1f93e.png

Although at the moment the interest is in trop led scenarios, in winter it is best to be prepared for other scenarios too, and this one looks to be gaining in traction...we will see...

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

And the earliest of them not far out of range of the GFS, so we might see something showing up at the end of GFS runs quite soon, particularly if the Aleutian low, Russian high combo continues to be a feature in the current output, as per GFS 12z T270, and the strat at the end of the run:

C834CC4C-6DEC-4D2C-B05E-CAC1B5043243.thumb.png.6800a62c1914c4c117c37b5bb6ed6ad5.png0D993524-0AFE-4108-A221-A384D434E711.thumb.png.42c5bfda11c2234e2f1ee3be51b1f93e.png

Although at the moment the interest is in trop led scenarios, in winter it is best to be prepared for other scenarios too, and this one looks to be gaining in traction...we will see...

Definitely *feels* like something is potentially brewing now, compared with all the previous blocked looking outputs we saw throughout November that never amounted to anything. 

The EC46 is an interesting update in that by week 3, there's no clear signal for any particular weather type, rare for the model to lose a signal that quickly. There seems to be a "tipping point" around December 15th with the Stat forecasts/extended outlooks that models seem to be struggling with, Simon Lee pointed the same thing out on Twitter too. 

Can't really remember the last time we were in a situation where anything beyond week 2 was a complete question mark, we usually have enough data to take a rough guess, even MOGREPS isn't giving a clear signal either way into December.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 hour ago, stodge said:

That happens when conflicting signals are at play and naturally at this time of year we always hope the dice will fall kindly in terms of cold and, dare one say it, snow for the UK.

Snow? What's this 'snow' you speak of?

Anyway, back to the models. P29 is a stonker...

gens-29-1-240.thumb.png.5f46ea5fa37b05456fc56cabb18bfd0e.png   gens-29-0-240.thumb.png.b3715332b24988db6710d746dd018089.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

One of the best easterlies I have ever seen !!

Yes - -15c not far away from you with the -20c not far into the near continent lurking behind it, shame it had to end there.

image.thumb.png.a4bfd4af1b271602c1bf5f040b53a70c.png

I have seen lower 850's but this run looks sustainable as well, thats the striking thing, it could end up a more prolonged 87 if it went further.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 5

Posted

The ICON 18hrs run is less progressive than the 12hrs run at T120hrs.

Notable change in the trigger shortwave now further sw with a stronger ridge over Scandinavia .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2