Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

NETWEATHER WINTER WEATHER PREDICTING COMPETITION

Posted

Tom, thanks for the heads up via message, I might have missed these latest categories otherwise -- and merry Christmas to everyone taking part ...

Simple answers from my simple mind ... five times yes for the snow on NYD and 1st Jan for the first lying (about) snow in 2021. :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
On 21/12/2020 at 11:25, TomSE12 said:

Morning all,

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

I have decided to introduce another couple of supplementary Categories.

CATEGORY 8 (New Year's Day Snow?).

Just the 5 locations in this Category. 

Predict, with a YAY or NAY, whether it will Snow or not in the Capital Cities of the United Kingdom, and the              Republic of Ireland, during the 24 hours of New Year's Day.

Please Copy/Paste your predictions with a YAY or a NAY, into the location Boxes provided below:

BELFAST -  NAY

CARDIFF - NAY

DUBLIN - YAY

EDINBURGH - YAY

LONDON - NAY

Your predictions for CATEGORY 8 (New Year's Day Snow?), MUST be posted on this Thread by 9 PM, on Sunday 27th Dec.

I will post up details of supplementary Category 9  and the Scoring System for Categories 8 and 9, later on Today.

Regards,

Tom.     ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️ 

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your reminder. Please find my reply re category 8. I will now locate category 9 to complete.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Hello again Tom,

My prediction for category 9 is 3 January 2021.

I trust you and your family have a safe and happy Christmas, and all the best for the new year.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Hope yourself and your Families, are well.

Much thanks to all the Entrants above, for your predictions in Categories 8 and 9.

For those of you still to enter predictions for these Categories, you have until 9 PM on Sunday Evening.

Below, is the Scoring System I'll be using for Categories 8 and 9. in "Virtual" Monetary Credits: 

CATEGORY 8 (NEW YEAR'S DAY SNOW?)

£5.00 - for a correct YAY prediction, for the following Locations - CARDIFF and LONDON.

£4.00 - for a correct YAY prediction, for the following Location - DUBLIN.

£2.50 - for a correct YAY prediction for the following Location - BELFAST.

£2.00 -  for a correct YAY prediction for the following Location - EDINBURGH.

£1.00 - for a correct NAY prediction for all 5 Capital Cities in Category 8.

CATEGORY 9 ( 2021 SETTLING SNOW?): Correct Prediction, to the exact Date - £20.                                                          Within 2 Days of the exact Date - £5.

Regards,

Tom.  ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️           

Edited by TomSE12

Posted

Below, is the link kindly sent to me by BLESSED WEATHER (South East, Forum Host),  for checking the Results of -    Category 5 - (A) - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. (B) -  Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. 

I will be using the official Recording Stations, in the South East Region, that are located in the ORANGE area below: 

image.png.2e8bcb03063876de3125694d6167e71f.png

Regards,

Tom.   ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️   

Posted
3 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Below, is the link kindly sent to me by BLESSED WEATHER (South East, Forum Host),  for checking the Results of -    Category 5 - (A) - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. (B) -  Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. 

I will be using the official Recording Stations, in the South East Region, that are located in the ORANGE area below: 

image.png.2e8bcb03063876de3125694d6167e71f.png

Regards,

Tom.   ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️   

Apologies, forgot to post up that link to Recording Stations, mentioned in the previous Post. See link below:

Synop report summary by countries (ogimet.com)

I will now post up the predictions for Categories 8 and 9 of AVENGERSE12, SEPTICPEGSE12 and TOMSE12:

AVENGERSE12 (Guest)

BELFAST - Yay. 

CARDIFF - Nay.

DUBLIN - Yay. 

EDINBURGH - Yay.

LONDON - Nay,

CATEGORY 9 (NEW YEAR SETTLING SNOW?)

Friday 1st January.

SEPTICPEGSE12 (Guest)

BELFAST - Yay. 

CARDIFF - Nay.

DUBLIN - Nay. 

EDINBURGH - Yay.

LONDON - Nay.

Wednesday 6th January.

TOMSE12 

BELFAST - Yay. 

CARDIFF - Nay.

DUBLIN - Yay. 

EDINBURGH - Yay.

LONDON - Nay.

Saturday 2nd January.

Regards,

TomSE12   ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️    

Posted

Evening all,

Hope you've all had a very Merry Christmas.

Have recently posted messages on various Regional Forums, requesting information about CATEGORY 6 (White Christmas), and whether or not the following 9 locations, have seen any Snow so far Today:

Belfast - Birmingham - Cardiff - Dublin - Edinburgh - Glasgow - Liverpool - Manchester - Newcastle.

Below, is a link to OGIMET, in respect of Category 5 -

(A) - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. 

(B) -  Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day.

Synop report summary by countries (ogimet.com)

I will be using this link and the Maximum and Minimum Temperatures recorded at these official Weather Stations, in the South East Region, to determine the Results of Category 5. 

Regards,

Tom.   ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️    

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Hi Tom, here are further guesses

CATEGORY 8 (New Year's Day Snow?).

BELFAST - Yay

CARDIFF -nay

DUBLIN - nay

EDINBURGH -nay

LONDON -nay

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

CATEGORY 8 (New Year's Day Snow?).

BELFAST - Yay

CARDIFF -yay

DUBLIN - yay

EDINBURGH -yay

LONDON -nay

Friday 1st January.

I may well change this lol.

• Like 1

Posted

Not official but I was watching the hourlies in the region on maps over at meteociel and got the impression the temps for 25 Dec ranged from about -1 to 6 in the region for the contest. For another weather contest that I run, can say that Dublin had no snow on 25th. Probably the only places that might have seen snow are in eastern England and possibly Edinburgh.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Hi Tom,

i think I forgot my category 9 guess??

I’m going for 4th January.

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

Posted

CATEGORY 8 (New Year's Day Snow?)

BELFAST - nay

CARDIFF - yay

DUBLIN - nay

EDINBURGH - yay

LONDON - yay

CATEGORY 9 (NEW YEAR SETTLING SNOW?)

Friday 1st January

Edited by lottiekent
Added category 9 answer
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

CATEGORY 7 (New Year's Day)

Predict the Max./Min. Temps recorded, during the 24 Hours of New Year's Day, in the South East/East Anglia Region.

Max 4 deg  Min 2 deg

Just the 5 locations in this Category. 

Predict, with a YAY or NAY, whether it will Snow or not in the Capital Cities of the United Kingdom, and the              Republic of Ireland, during the 24 hours of New Year's Day.

BELFAST - Nay

CARDIFF - Nay

DUBLIN - Nay

EDINBURGH - Nay

LONDON - Yay

CATEGORY 9 (New Year Settling Snow?) - 

Predict the first Date of Settling Snow, in the NetWeather, S.E/East Anglia Region. 

3rd of January 

• Like 1

Posted

Happy new year to all, once again just an approximation from watching the hourly temperatures on a map over at meteociel.fr, the range in the eastern region as defined for the contest appeared to be -4 to +6. Both Christmas and New Years, the highest temperature was at Weybourne (according to what I saw on the maps). 

The hourlies do not mention much snow but do have one report (Bedford) and some reports of freezing drizzle, and very cold rain, so it would not surprise me if snow fell somewhere on a hill in the south or north Downs at least, if Bedford doesn't count. 

Roger over and out. As to snow at the five capitals, nothing shows up on the source I checked, pretty certain Dublin had a snow-free day anyway. It was cold enough to snow at all locations at some point however.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Apologies for my non appearance, on my Competition Thread.

Have been occupied with "hosting" my Horse Racing Competition over the Festive period, on the Lounge Forum.

I will be back soon with the results, in a few Categories.

Would like to have a chat first with an acquaintance of mine, South East Meteorologist Ian Currie.

Regards,

Tom.    ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️    

Posted
9 hours ago, John Stevens said:

Does this count as settling snow @TomSE12? This morning in the Surrey Hills

99ABB560-1C26-437F-9F46-BAF6393A83F2.jpeg

Hi John,

I can just about make it out. Yes, as insignificant as it is, it will count. 

The criteria for CATEGORY 9 - Predict the first Date of Settling Snow, in the NetWeather, S.E/East Anglia Region, in 2021., was just a dusting and the actual depth, is irrelevant.

In a short while, I will post up some unconfirmed results of -

CATEGORY 6 (White Christmas) and CATEGORY 8 (New Year's Day Snow?).

Regards,

Tom     ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️    

• Like 1

Posted

Much thanks to John Stevens above, for the photographic evidence, to the result of - 

CATEGORY 9 -  Predict the first Date of Settling Snow, in the NetWeather, S.E/East Anglia Region, in 2021.,

I will now post up the unconfirmed results of the following Categories, Tomorrow Morning -                                    CATEGORY 6 (White Christmas), CATEGORY 8 (New Year's Day Snow?).

I will post up the results of the following  Categories, once I've had confirmation of the temperatures recorded: 

CATEGORY 7 (New Year's Day) South East/East Anglia Region - 

Predict (A) - Max.  Temps recorded, during the 24 Hours of New Year's Day, in the South East/East Anglia Region.

Predict (B) - Min. Temps recorded, during the 24 Hours of New Year's Day, in the South East/East Anglia Region.

CATEGORY 5: - (A) - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. 

(B) -  Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. 

Plus the value in Monetary Credits for a correct result, in the above Categories.

Regards,

Tom   ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️     

image.png

Posted

Afternoon all,

I'm still collating results for those Categories mentioned above, in my previous Post and will post up my findings, later Today.

Regards,

Tom.    ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️    

Posted

Evening all,

Below, are the results of CATEGORY 6 (White Christmas) and CATEGORY 8 (New Year's Day Snow?).

CATEGORY 6 (White Christmas)

Manchester - YAY - Belfast - NAY -  Birmingham - NAY -  Cardiff - NAY - Dublin - NAY -  Glasgow - NAY - 

Edinburgh - NAY -  Liverpool - NAY -  London - NAY - Newcastle - NAY

The YAYs to the Left 1, the NAYs to the Right 9.

The Nays have it, the Nays have it. Clear the Lobbies!!

London - YAY - Belfast - NAY -   Cardiff - NAY - Dublin - NAY -  Edinburgh - NAY.

The YAYs to the Left 1, the NAYs to the Right 4.

The Nays have it, the Nays have it. Clear the Lobbies!!

I hope these Results are correct. I trawled through Posts on the Regional Threads and asked if any Members had experienced any falling Snow, in those Towns and Cities in CATEGORY 6 (White Christmas).

Evidently, Manchester experienced a little falling Snow, on Christmas Day.

I'm pretty sure it was only London that experienced a little falling Snow in  CATEGORY 8 (New Year's Day Snow?). 

South East Regional Member Nick Finnis, experienced a little falling Snow outside his Office, close to Heathrow Airport, on New Year's Day. We even had a little flurry around the same time, here in Lee, S.E. London.

Heathrow is the Recording Station, Bookmakers now use, in accepting White Christmas/New Year Wagers.

Apologies for the late appearance of these Results. I've been very busy with my Horse Racing Competition, lately.

All 4 Members of the Household, had to take a Covid-19 Test Yesterday.

My Wife woke up with a Sore Throat and slight Cough on Sunday, plus I've developed a bit of a Sore Throat, Today.

Hopefully, we've just picked up a bit of a Cold. Therefore, I've been otherwise occupied, in the last couple of Days.

All being well, I will post up the "Virtual Monetary Credits" gained by each Entrant, in Categories 6 and 8.

I will also post up the Results of  CATEGORY 5: -

(A) - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day.

Also CATEGORY 7 (New Year's Day) South East/East Anglia Region:

Predict the Max./Min. Temps recorded, during the 24 Hours of New Year's Day, in the South East/East Anglia Region.

**NB** - Category 7 applies only to the South East/East Anglia Region.

Just a reminder of the extent of that Region, again. Obviously, the Area coloured in ORANGE:

image.png.72778200edb883f36cb2b7a04c8a8b8a.png

If any Entrant would like to query any of the above Results, please indicate your intention, by posting on this Thread.

Thank you.

Regards,

TomSE12.    ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️     

Edited by TomSE12
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Afternoon all,

I've finally managed to compile the Results for Categories 6 and 8. I will now post up the Results in both Categories and the amount of "Virtual" Monetary Credits gained, by each Entrant:

CATEGORY 6 (White Christmas)

Of the 10 Locations, only 1 managed to record any falling Snow. This was MANCHESTER.

If you predicted a YAY for Manchester, you gain £4 in "Virtual" Monetary Credits.

If you predicted a NAY for all of the other 9 Locations (Belfast, Birmingham, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool, London and Newcastle), you gain £1 in "Virtual" Monetary Credits. 

Listed below, are the amounts gained by each Entrant in CATEGORY 6 (White Christmas), in performance order:

CATEGORY 6 (White Christmas)

AVENGERSE12 (Guest,) - £9 - SEASIDE60 -  £9 -  CHEESEPUFFSCOTT - £8 - SEPTICPEGSE12 (Guest) - £8 -TOMSE12 - £8 - B87 - £7 - BOBD29 - £7 -  DRECKLY - £7 - FROZEWERETHEDAYS - £7 -                     KIRKCALDY WEATHER - £6 - LOTTIEKENT - £6 - DANIEL - £5 - STEPHENSE12 (Guest) - £5 -                      JOHN STEVENS - £5 - ROGER J SMITH - £4  - CLARET047 - £2.

Best performance in Category 6 came from my Guest and Stepson, AVENGERSE12, who gained the same amount of  "Virtual" Monetary Credits as SEASIDE60.

CATEGORY 8 (White New Year's Day)

Of the 5 Locations, only 1 managed to record any falling Snow. This was LONDON.

If you predicted a YAY for London, you gain £5 in "Virtual" Monetary Credits.

If you predicted a NAY for all of the other 4 Locations (Belfast, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh), you gain £1 in "V"/M/C.

"V"/M/C = "Virtual" Monetary Credits.

Listed below, are the amounts gained by each Entrant in CATEGORY 8 (White New Year's Day), in performance order:

CATEGORY 8 (White New Year's Day)

DRECKLY - £9 - DANIEL - £8 - JOHN STEVENS - £8 -  LOTTIEKENT - £7 - ROGER J SMITH - £5 - B87 - £4 - BOBD29 - £4 -CHEESEPUFFSCOTT - £4 -  FROZEWERETHEDAYS - £3 -  CLARET047 - £2 -                  KIRKCALDY WEATHER - £2 - SEPTICPEGSE12 (Guest) - £2 - STEPHENSE12 (Guest) - £2 -            AVENGERSE12 (Guest) - £1 -TOMSE12 - £1 - SEASIDE60 -  NIL.

Best performance in Category 8 came from DRECKLY, who gave correct predictions for all 5 Capital Cities.

Listed below, is the Result of CATEGORY 9 - the first Date of Settling Snow, in the S.E/East Anglia Region, in 2021. 

CATEGORY 9 (first Date of Settling Snow, in the S.E/East Anglia Region, in 2021)

Tuesday 5th January - image.png.34f1092d4ca3882582fa3e7fde8c7135.png This was recorded by John Stevens of Holmbury St. Mary, Surrey Hills.

NO Entrant predicted the exact first Date of Settling Snow, in the S.E/East Anglia Region, in 2021). 

But B87, CHEESEPUFFSCOTT, SEPTICPEGSE12 and JOHN STEVENS, were all within 24 Hours of that Date,

All 3 Entrants gain £5 of "Virtual" Monetary Credits.

Listed below, are the amounts gained by each Entrant in CATEGORY 8 (White New Year's Day), in performance order:

CATEGORY 9 (first Date of Settling Snow, in the S.E/East Anglia Region, in 2021)

B87 - £5 - CHEESEPUFFSCOTT - £5   SEPTICPEGSE12 (Guest) - £5 - JOHN STEVENS - £5 -            AVENGERSE12 (Guest) - NIL - BOBD29 - NIL - CLARET047 - NIL -  DRECKLY - NIL  - DANIEL - NIL -      FROZEWERETHEDAYS - NIL - KIRKCALDY WEATHER - NIL - LOTTIEKENT - NIL - ROGER J SMITH -  NIL -STEPHENSE12 (Guest) - NIL -  SEASIDE60 - NIL - TOMSE12 - NIL, 

Crikey, I now know how Teachers feel when they're marking Homework.

I have tried to be as thorough as possible, in arriving at there Results.

I hope no Entrant feels inclined to take me to the Supreme Court, claiming I've rigged the Results.

I also don't want to hear that supporters of some Entrants, have been incited to riot and storm NetWeather Towers.

These Results were arrived at in a very transparent and democratic way.

Tomorrow, I will list details of the Recording Stations I've used in determining the Results of -                                                    CATEGORY 5: - (A) - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. - 

(B) -  Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. -  

Regards,

Tom.     ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️    

Edited by TomSE12
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Good evening Mr Teacher person 

Re Cat 9

Can you just check the south east thread as I am sure there was snow mentioned settling in the London area.

It might have been just outside the area to be fair, it might have been one the the mods (nick's)  it just seems strange that there was no snow from the 1st to the 5th Jan.

Reading back there was falling snow New Years Day ( as stated above)  but no one had settling snow ??

Posted
14 hours ago, seaside 60 said:

Good evening Mr Teacher person 

Re Cat 9

Can you just check the south east thread as I am sure there was snow mentioned settling in the London area.

It might have been just outside the area to be fair, it might have been one the the mods (nick's)  it just seems strange that there was no snow from the 1st to the 5th Jan.

Reading back there was falling snow New Years Day ( as stated above)  but no one had settling snow ??

Morning all,

That is a perfectly legitimate Objection to lodge, seaside 60.

I therefore am willing to announce a Stewards Inqury.

I will be trawling through the South East Thread for New Year's Day, onwards.

I will also be interviewing those Parties concerned and will Post up my findings, a little later.

Regards,

Tom.     ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️  

• Like 1

Posted

Morning again,

After holding a Stewards Inquiry, I  can now announce the Stewards' findings.

The following Post was found on New Year's Day Morning from POLARIS, who lives in Woburn, Bedfordshire.

QUOTE:

"Light snow flurries here around 8am - settled 

Temp now risen, frost vanished and it’s raining moderately 

Coldest temps being pushed away SW"

Therefore the Objection has been Sustained and the Result of Category 9 ( 2021 SETTLING SNOW?), has been altered.

In a short while, I will post up the revised "Virtual" Monetary Credits gained by those Entrants who predicted the exact Date or were within 24 Hours of 1st January.

Regards,

Tom.     ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️  

Posted

Listed below, are those Entrants who are affected by the altered Result in Category 9, after the Objection/Stewards Inquiry, initiated by seaside 60, and their revised "Virtual" Monetary Credits.

AVENGERSE12 - £20 - DANIEL - £20 - LOTTIEKENT - £20 -  SEASIDE60 - £20 -  ROGER J SMITH -  £20 BOBD29 - £5 - TOMSE12 - £5 - B87 -  NIL - CHEESEPUFFSCOTT - NIL -  SEPTICPEGSE12 (Guest) - NIL - JOHN STEVENS - NIL.

Apologies to those Entrants who've been adversely affected, by my mistake and thanks to seaside 60 for pointing out my error. I'm pleased to announce that no storming of NetWeather Towers took place, as a result of my mistake.

Certainly no malpractice was intended. Just a bit of mental fatigue, in trying to "host" this Competition and a Horse Racing Competition, at the same time!!

I must have been mad, to take this on.

Anyway, it keeps me out of mischief and out from under, Septic Peg's feet (Wife, Colette).

In a short while, I will post up a list of Weather Stations I'll be using to determine the Results in Category 5 -     

Regards,

Tom.     ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️  

Edited by TomSE12
  • Thanks 1