Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

NETWEATHER WINTER WEATHER PREDICTING COMPETITION

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Below, is the link kindly sent to me by Malcolm (Blessed Weather), the South East/East Anglia Region, Forum Host.

It is this I will use for determining Results, in Category 5 (A and B).

Synop report summary by countries (ogimet.com)

Below, is a list of Weather Stations, that are to be found in the South East/East Anglia Region. 

They are all contained in the "Orange" Area, on the Map below:

image.png.bbc8c5609f9047f19f79916c69dc2134.png

Andrewsfield (ESSEX), Bedford (BEDS), Charlwood (SURREY), Herstmonceaux (E.SUSSEX), High Wycombe (BUCKS),     Kenley (CROYDON), Langdon Bay (KENT), London (HEATHROW), London (St.James' Park), Manston (KENT),              Marham (NORFOLK), Northolt (LONDON), Rothamsted (HERTS), Shoeburyness (ESSEX), Shoreham Airport (W.SUSSEX), Wattisham (SUFFOLK), Wittering (CAMBS). 

I will be using the Data from these Weather Stations, to determine the Results in, Categories - 3, 4 ,5 and 7.

I will post up the Results of Category 5 (Max/Min Temps, Christmas Day), in the South East/East Anglia Region and Category 7 (Max/Min Temps, New Year's Day), in the South East/East Anglia Region, later on Today.

Regards,

Tom.    ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️  

Posted

I will now post up the Results of Category 5 (Max/Min Temps, Christmas Day), in the South East/East Anglia Region and Category 7 (Max/Min Temps, New Year's Day), in the South East/East Anglia Region.

CATEGORY 5 (Max/Min Temps, Christmas Day)

MAX TEMP: +4.9c (Langdon Bay and Manston), both in KENT.

MIN TEMP:  -2.1c  (High Wycombe, BUCKS).

Below, is the link to all the Weather Station Data I used, for Christmas Day.

CATEGORY 7 (Max/Min Temps, New Year's Day)

MAX TEMP: +3.7c (Bedford, BEDS)

MIN TEMP:  -2.1c  (Bedford, BEDS).

All the Data for New Year's Day you can find, by clicking on the Day After link above the Chart, until you reach New Year's Day.

Strange that Bedford recorded both the Max, and Min. Temperature for New Year's Day but that's what it reads, on the Chart!!

Later, I will post up the "Virtual" Monetary Credits gained by each Entrant, in Categories 5 and 7.

Regards,

Tom    ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️  

Edited by TomSE12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Just read through the last couple of days comments and results from @TomSE12... thank you Tom... thrilling reading... although I’m gutted my settling snow evidence was discounted I’ll accept the democratic process and won’t raise any protest... although I must say there was still lying snow in sheltered places even this afternoon!

Thoroughly enjoyed the competition so far... I’ll send you my weekend marking over later if you like?

All the best,

John

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

Weybourne is in the region indicated in orange too, and had higher temperatures on both dates. 

Evening all,

Not doing very well, am I? 

Another Steward's Inquiry and Objection lodged and upheld, against the marking Judge?

Roger is absolutely correct, WEYBOURNE is actually in Norfolk and therefore in the South East/East Anglia.

Oh the shame of it, corrected by a Member who lives in Vancouver!!

I thought I had a pretty good knowledge of locations in the South East/East Anglia Region.

I managed a pretty good grade, in my "O" Level Geography Exam, mind you that was in about 1971.

I had it in my mind that Weybourne was out West, in somewhere like Dorset.

Then when I saw Roger's post, perhaps Surrey and close by to Weybridge and on the River Wey.

I was surprised to see it's actually in Norfolk. Apologies of any inhabitants of the Village, that read this Thread.

Also, Roger is absolutely right in his assertion that WEYBOURNE recorded the Maximum temperature on both, Christmas Day and New Year's Day in the South East/East Anglia Region. 

Below, are the revised Results for Categories 5 and 7:

CATEGORY 5 (Max Temp. Christmas Day)

MAX TEMP: +6.3c (Weybourne, NORFOLK).

CATEGORY 7 (Max Temp, New Year's Day)

MAX TEMP: +5.8c (Weybourne, NORFOLK).  

I will post up each Entrant's "Virtual" Monetary Credits gained from Categories 5 and 7, Tomorrow Morning.

Regards,

Tom.  ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️  

Edited by TomSE12

Posted

The only reason I knew about that was because I was watching hourlies on a 24-hour animation over on meteociel, so I noticed this location hitting 6 deg and clicked on it to see what station it was, my knowledge of U.K. geography is fairly good (I was born in B'ham and have relatives not far from London) but like yourself, I had Weybourne and Weymouth mixed up in my mind (I think, something was mixed up anyway). Having alerted you to that detail, I would imagine it has worked against my predictions, so no good deed goes unpunished. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

The only reason I knew about that was because I was watching hourlies on a 24-hour animation over on meteociel, so I noticed this location hitting 6 deg and clicked on it to see what station it was, my knowledge of U.K. geography is fairly good (I was born in B'ham and have relatives not far from London) but like yourself, I had Weybourne and Weymouth mixed up in my mind (I think, something was mixed up anyway). Having alerted you to that detail, I would imagine it has worked against my predictions, so no good deed goes unpunished. 

Morning all,

I hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Myself, my Wife Colette (aka SepticPegSE12) and her 2 Sons had some reassuring news Yesterday.

We all received a negative Covid-19 Test Result, after my Wife woke up with worrying symptoms, last Sunday Morning.

Yes, like yourself Roger, I thought Weybourne was probably in Dorset.

But the clue is to hover your cursor over the Weather Station name, and it will give you the Latitude and Longitude, of the Weather Station.

I won't be able to update the Competition this Morning, as I have a very busy Morning ahead of me.

I need to attend to my Horse Racing Competition, on the Lounge Thread.

The rather cold start to the Year, has caused a few abandonments already in this past Week.

I need to keep my "eye on the ball", in case I need to revise Today's Competition Races.

Therefore, this Competition's updated "Scores on the Doors" will have to wait until Monday Morning.

Regards,

Tom.  ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️    

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 2

Posted

Morning all,

Below, are the "Virtual" Monetary Credits gained by each Entrant in Category 5, in performance and alphabetical order. You received "Virtual" Monetary Credits of £30 for an exact prediction and £5, for a prediction within 0.5c.

CATEGORY 5: - (A) - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. 

(B) -  Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia

SEASIDE60 - £10 - AVENGERSE12 (Guest) - £5  - BOBD29 - £5 - DRECKLY - £5  - LOTTIEKENT - £5 - ROGER J SMITH - £5 -               JOHN STEVENS - £5  - TOMSE12 - £5 - B87 - NIL - CHEESEPUFFSCOTT - NIL - CLARET047 - NIL - DANIEL - NIL -FROZEWERETHEDAYS - NIL - KIRKCALDY WEATHER - NIL  - SEPTICPEGSE12 (Guest) - NIL - STEPHENSE12 (Guest) - NIL.

Below, are the "Virtual" Monetary Credits gained by each Entrant in Category 7, in performance and alphabetical order. You received "Virtual" Monetary Credits of £30 for an exact prediction and £5, for a prediction within 0.5c.

CHEESEPUFFSCOTT - £5 -CLARET047 - £5 - FROZEWERETHEDAYS - £5 - KIRKCALDY WEATHER - £5  - SEASIDE 60  - £5 -  SEPTICPEGSE12 (Guest) - £5 - AVENGERSE12 (Guest) - NIL  -  B87 - NIL -  BOBD29 - NIL -   DANIEL - NIL - DRECKLY - NIL  -LOTTIEKENT - NIL - ROGER J SMITH - NIL -STEPHENSE12 (Guest) - NIL  JOHN STEVENS - NIL  - TOMSE12 - NIL.

CHEESEPUFFSCOTT, CLARET047, FROZEWERETHEDAYS, KIRKCALDY WEATHER, SEASIDE 60 and SEPTICPEGSE12  performed best in Category 5 and were within 0.5c for either Maximum or Minimum temperatures recorded, on New Year's Day.

Later on Today, I will post the updated Current Standings after the Results in Categories 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

Regards,

Tom   ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Evening all,

I hope I find yourselves and your Families are, well.

Listed below, are the Standings after the results in Categories 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9: 

NW WINTER WEATHER PREDICTING COMPETITION

CURRENT STANDINGS (After Categories 2/5/6/7/8/9)

ENTRANT     CAT.1 CAT.2 CAT.3 CAT.4 CAT.5 CAT.6 CAT.7 CAT. 8 CAT.9 M/C TOTAL

Seaside 60                    20.00                         10.00   9.00    5.00     NIL    20.00       64.00

Lottiekent                    20.00                           5.00   6.00     NIL    7.00    20.00       58.00

AvengerSE12 (Guest) 20.00                           5.00   9.00     NIL    1.00    20.00       55.00

John Stevens               20.00                            5.00   5.00     NIL    8.00      NIL        38.00

Roger J. Smith                NIL                            5.00   4.00     NIL    5.00    20.00       34.00

Daniel                               NIL                            NIL    5.00    NIL    8.00     20.00       33.00

CheesepuffScott          5.00                             NIL   8.00    5.00    4.00       NIL        22.00

BobD29                             NIL                           5.00   7.00     NIL    4.00       5.00       21.00

Dreckly                             NIL                           5.00   7.00     NIL    9.00        NIL       21.00

TomSE12                          NIL                            5.00   8.00     NIL    1.00       5.00       19.00

Froze W.T. Days              NIL                            NIL   7.00    5.00    3.00        NIL       15.00

Septic PegSE12 (Guest) NIL                            NIL   8.00    5.00    2.00       NIL        15.00

K/Weather                       NIL                            NIL   6.00    5.00    2.00        NIL       13.00

B87                                     NIL                            NIL   7.00     NIL    4.00        NIL       11.00

Claret047                          NIL                            NIL   2.00    5.00   2.00        NIL          9.00

StephenSE12 (Guest)     NIL                            NIL   5.00     NIL   2.00        NIL          7.00

CAT. = Categories.

M/C = "Virtual" Monetary Credit.

SEASIDE 60, takes the lead, after top scoring in Categories 2 and lodging an objection in Category 2, which was subsequently upheld.

LOTTIEKENT, a former winner of the S.E. Regional Snow Depth Cup, proves she's no back number and also top scores in Category 2 and also 9, and takes 2nd Place.

AVENGERSE12 (Guest), also top scores in Categories 2 and 9, and is in 3rd Place.

JOHN STEVENS, is another to top score in Category 2, and lies in 4th Place.

ROGER J SMITH, is another to lodge a successful objection, top scores in Category 9, and is in 5th Place.

DANIEL, also benefits from the altered result in Category 9, and lies in 6th Place.

Regards,

Tom.  ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️    

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Morning all,

Hope yourselves and your Families, are well.

Thought it was time, I posted up a report on the situation in the Competition. 

Categories 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9, have been finalised and the value of  any"Virtual" Monetary Credits gained, and the overall Standings, were posted up on Sunday 11th January.

I will now take a quick look at the situation in Categories 1, 3 and 4.

As we are aware, the much publicised Storm Christoph, is doing his worst outside our front doors, at this very moment,

The North Atlantic has been pretty quiet so far this Winter.

The only Storms that have merited being named so far, have been Aiden but he was named by Met Eireann, on Friday 30th October, so well outside of the Winter Months and Competition Category 1 (A + B).

CATEGORY 3 - (Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 3 Months of Meteorological Winter (DJF)),

This has been quite difficult to keep abreast of what's happening, and a great strain on my eyes.

As I stated earlier in the Thread, I've been using the link below, to check for the lowest Minimum temperature recorded in the South East/East Anglia Region,

At the moment, I have Wattisham in Suffolk, as the "Leader", on -5.5c.

This was recorded on Sunday 10th January.

Rightly or wrongly, I havn't bothered looking at CATEGORY 4 - (Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 3 Months of Meteorological Winter (DJF)), just yet.

I wouldn't think this will be attained until, later on in February.

As a cold and Snow lover, I hope that has tempted fate and we see a prolonged freezing and Snowy February, with that sort of Weather, lasting into March!!

Regards,

Tom.  ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️    

Posted

Thanks Tom, not sure that an objection that cost me ten quid would really fall under the heading successful, but enjoying the contest. Some chance of seeing another named storm this time next week according to latest guidance. Would think we might see the winter minimum in this coming week, as we discussed off line it's currently somewhere around -7 C to be determined later. The max no doubt will be some fine day in late February. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Tom, how do you plan to handle the named storm situation now that a named storm from the French list has appeared in the weather discussions? If we count it, everyone's guess about the last name will be one too high on the UK-Ireland list. If we don't then it makes no difference to that aspect. Just wondering. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

Tom, how do you plan to handle the named storm situation now that a named storm from the French list has appeared in the weather discussions? If we count it, everyone's guess about the last name will be one too high on the UK-Ireland list. If we don't then it makes no difference to that aspect. Just wondering. 

Hi Roger,

On Page 1 of the Competition Thread, on 24th November, I posted the following:

"Only North Atlantic Storms will count that are named by the Met Agencies of the Western Group (Met Office, Met Eireann and KNMI (the National Weather Forecasting service, of the Netherlands)."

Found more information, on the Met Office, link below:

Storm names for 2020-21 announced - Met Officed the

And the following comment, from the Met. Office: 

"Other European countries to name impactful storms include France, Spain and Portugal in south-west Europe and Sweden, Norway and Denmark in northern Europe."

But for the purposes of the Competition, I will stick with the Met Office, Met Eireann and KNMI.

Regards,

Tom.  ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️   

Posted

Thanks Tom, sounds reasonable to me, that French-named storm was probably only into "named storm" category in a few places in the UK anyway, hopefully some other agency doesn't pre-empt a real UK named storm (as happened with Spain naming one a few years ago, it did little there but was a bigger storm for Ireland and the UK). Back to the endless task of checking the weather, there's no shortage of it these days. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

May help you Tom just seen this posted on the SE thread.

11/2   08.41

Should be colder tonight possibly.

Nowhere got under that -10°C mark last night. Marham came very close at -9.7°C

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, seaside 60 said:

May help you Tom just seen this posted on the SE thread.

11/2   08.41

Should be colder tonight possibly.

Nowhere got under that -10°C mark last night. Marham came very close at -9.7°C

Hi s60,

You must have read my mind, I was just about to check for some low minima.

Regards,

Tom.   ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️   

Posted
2 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Hi s60,

You must have read my mind, I was just about to check for some low minima.

Regards,

Tom.   ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️   

Afternoon all.

Hope I find yourselves and your Families, well.

Having been prompted by seaside 60's post, I decided to look at the current situation in Categories 1 and 3.

CATEGORY 1 - (A) -  How many North Atlantic Storms will be named during the 3 Months (DJF), of Winter?

(B) -  What will the last named North Atlantic Storm be, during the 3 Months (DJF), of Winter? 

Below, is a list of North Atlantic Storm names for 2020/21:

image.png.60799b0fbbc7135683713b55db990d95.png

*NB* - Please remember, that AIDEN has already been used. This was named by Met Eireann on October 30th.

Only North Atlantic Storms will count that are named by the Met Agencies of the Western Group (Met Office, Met Eireann and KNMI (the National Weather Forecasting service, of the Netherlands).

With 17 Days of the Competition and Winter left, STORM DARCY appeared on the scene a few Days ago.

STORM DARCY, was the choice of both SEPTICPEGSE12 (Guest,Wife) ,STEPHENSE12 (Guest,Stepson), and they remain in the driving seat.

CATEGORY 3: - Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 3 Months of Meteorological Winter (DJF).

I've checked the Lowest Temperature recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, so far this Winter at the following Weather Stations, on the Ogimet.com Website:

Andrewsfield (ESSEX), Bedford (BEDS), Charlwood (SURREY), Herstmonceaux (E.SUSSEX), High Wycombe (BUCKS),  Kenley (CROYDON), Langdon Bay (KENT), London (HEATHROW), London (St.James' Park), Manston (KENT), Marham (NORFOLK), Northolt (LONDON),    Rothamsted (HERTS), Shoeburyness (ESSEX), Shoreham Airport (W.SUSSEX), Wattisham (SUFFOLK), Wittering (CAMBS). 

The lowest Minimum Temperature so far this Winter, was at WATTISHAM (Suffolk) (-5.5c - 10th January) but as Seaside 60 states above MARHAM (Norfolk), recorded -9.7c, and should that be confirmed in a few Days time, will hold Top Spot in Category 3.

image.png.293486ff584396a4b1be7caf3d904264.png

But that Minimum Temperature, could well be exceeded Tonight.

I used the link below, to the Global Summary of the Day Data, it only goes up to Sunday 7th February, and updates every Day.

Global daily summary by countries (ogimet.com)

Once the Competition has finished on Sunday 28th February, I will then look at Category 4:

CATEGORY 4: - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 3 Months of Meteorological Winter (DJF).

Regards,

Tom.     ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️   

image.png

Edited by TomSE12
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I don't think it has exceeded 15 C anywhere in the designated region yet, so as long as there's one mild spell before February ends it will probably happen in that one, however, if cold maintains some influence we may need to pore over the ancient records from December. If we get to the J-storm as per my forecast, then the rest of this month would have to be a shocker. 

Had a look at archived maps of daily maxima during milder spells in Dec, Jan and the highest reading I found was 13.5 at Heathrow on 28 Jan. Also 13.6 at Benson (Oxon) on 2 Feb. If that's in the zone, not sure about that one. Not saying that's our max but it has to be at least that high.

Just for general interest and if it saves any work, this is my source for map version daily maxima ... click on archives to get a menu of dates.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/tmaxi.php?archive=1&europe=0&region=&jour=2&mois=2&annee=2021&mode=&sub=OK

Edited by Roger J Smith
  • Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

I don't think it has exceeded 15 C anywhere in the designated region yet, so as long as there's one mild spell before February ends it will probably happen in that one, however, if cold maintains some influence we may need to pore over the ancient records from December. If we get to the J-storm as per my forecast, then the rest of this month would have to be a shocker. 

Had a look at archived maps of daily maxima during milder spells in Dec, Jan and the highest reading I found was 13.5 at Heathrow on 28 Jan. Also 13.6 at Benson (Oxon) on 2 Feb. If that's in the zone, not sure about that one. Not saying that's our max but it has to be at least that high.

Just for general interest and if it saves any work, this is my source for map version daily maxima ... click on archives to get a menu of dates.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/tmaxi.php?archive=1&europe=0&region=&jour=2&mois=2&annee=2021&mode=&sub=OK

Hi Roger,

Hope I find yourself and Your Family, well.

Much thanks for that link, I will have a close look at that.

Was resigned to a lot of scrolling back through all 3 Winter Months, for the highest Maxima recorded but part of my remit was looking for the fine detail retrospectively, in Sports Results, when I worked for a Credit Bookmaker, in Croydon, Surrey.

So, despite it being a strain on my eyes, I'm very much used to it.

P.S. Having used your link, I can now confirm that the minimum temperature recorded at MARHAM (Norfolk) of -9.7c (Thurs 11th Feb.) is now the lowest temperature recorded during the 3 Winter Months, so far in the South East/East Anglia Region.

image.thumb.png.a889f22a02a29acb368aeadb97a036a0.png

Regards,

Tom.     ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️ 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Morning all,

As some of you will be aware, if you've read my posts on other parts of the Forum, my Son Antony sadly passed away last Wednesday, after a 17 Year battle with the genetically inherited condition, Huntington's Disease.

Obviously, I've been very busy with making phone calls to my relatives, Government departments and a Funeral Director.

I'm now in a position to post up the results of the NW WEATHER PREDICTING COMPETITION, except one..

CATEGORY 1 - (A) -  How many North Atlantic Storms will be named during the 3 Months (DJF), of Winter? 3.

(B) -  What will the last named North Atlantic Storm be, during the 3 Months (DJF), of Winter? DARCY.

CATEGORY 2 - Predict the first Date of Settling Snow, in the NetWeather, S.E/East Anglia Region. FRI. 4th DEC..

CATEGORY 3: - Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 3 Months of Meteorological Winter (DJF). -9.7c (MARHAM) - THURS. 11th FEB..

CATEGORY 4: - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 3 Months of Meteorological Winter (DJF). T.B.C. 

CATEGORY 5: - (A) - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. +6.3c (WEYBOURNE).

(B) -  Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. -2.1c (HIGH WYCOMBE).

CATEGORY 6 (White Christmas) - One Location (YAY), Nine Locations (NAY).

CATEGORY 7 ( Max/Min. Temp. New Year's Day) - (A) Max. Temp. +5.8c (WEYBOURNE). (B) -2.1c (BEDFORD).

CATEGORY 8 (White New Year's Day) - One Location (YAY), Four Locations (NAY).

CATEGORY 9 - (First Date of Settling Snow in 2021) - FRIDAY 1st JANUARY.

Later on Today, I will begin posting up each Entrants "Virtual" Monetary Credits in each Category, except Category 4, which still has to be confirmed.

Regards,

Tom.  ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️

Edited by TomSE12
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Morning all,

Apologies for not being able to post up those "Virtual" Monetary Credits gained by Entrants, in those outstanding Categories. I think the stress of trying to arrange my Son's funeral, is starting to catch up with me, and I was "dog-tired" last Night.

Without further ado, below are each Entrants "Virtual" Returns, in those Categories that were still to be decided:

CATEGORY 1 - (A) -  How many North Atlantic Storms will be named during the 3 Months (DJF), of Winter? 3.

(B) -  What will the last named North Atlantic Storm be, during the 3 Months (DJF), of Winter? DARCY.

**NB** - STORM AIDEN was named on October 30th, and therefore occured outside of the 3 Months of Winter (DJF)

The only Entrants to gain any "Virtual" Returns, were as follows: SEPTICPEGSE12 and STEPHENSE12, both gained £10.

CATEGORY 3: - Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 3 Months of Meteorological Winter (DJF). -9.7c (MARHAM) - THURS. 11th FEB..

The only Entrants to gain any "Virtual" Returns in Category 3, were as follows: DANIEL and STEPHENSE12, both gained £5.

CATEGORY 4: - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 3 Months of Meteorological Winter (DJF). T.B.C. 

As I stated Yesterday, the maximum temperature in the 3 Months of Winter (DJF), in the South East Region, still has to be confirmed.

The Entrants in with a chance of gaining any "Virtual" Returns in Category 4, are as follows: FROZE WERE THE DAYS, LOTTIEKENT, R.J.SMITH and TOMSE12.

CATEGORY 5: - (A) - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. +6.3c (WEYBOURNE).

(B) -  Predict the Lowest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 24 Hours of Christmas Day. -2.1c (HIGH WYCOMBE).

The Entrants to gain any "Virtual" Returns from Category 5, were as follows:

SEASIDE 60 (£10), AVENGERSE12 (£5), BOBD29 (£5), DRECKLY (£5), KIRKCALDY WEATHER (£5), LOTTIEKENT (£5),                    R.J. SMITH (£5), JOHN STEVENS (£5), and TOMSE12 (£5).

In a short while, once I've collated all the figures, I will post up the provisional Final Standings Table for the Competition, before the result of Category 4, has been confirmed.

Regards,

Tom.   ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted

Sorry to hear that family news Tom, we all send our best wishes and a virtual hug (which would break the law no doubt). 

As to category four, the winter seasonal max, I think it's warmer than I said (15.8) by quite a bit so I'm not expecting any virtual payoff, I think B87 is quite close, there were readings near 18 C on the 24th Feb (see my previous post for the details, I saw readings of 18.4 in Suffolk and 17.9 in Norfolk on that date). B87 said 18.2 C and one of your family entries I think had 18 C too. 

The winter wasn't a lot different from what I envisaged with cold spells and mild, but even so I couldn't get really close to most of those questions, might do a bit better with the golf. Tiger has been benched for the time being. 

Thanks for the contest, it was fun. 

Edited by Roger J Smith
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Roger J Smith said:

Sorry to hear that family news Tom, we all send our best wishes and a virtual hug (which would break the law no doubt). 

As to category four, the winter seasonal max, I think it's warmer than I said (15.8) by quite a bit so I'm not expecting any virtual payoff, I think B87 is quite close, there were readings near 18 C on the 24th Feb (see my previous post for the details, I saw readings of 18.4 in Suffolk and 17.9 in Norfolk on that date). B87 said 18.2 C and one of your family entries I think had 18 C too. 

The winter wasn't a lot different from what I envisaged with cold spells and mild, but even so I couldn't get really close to most of those questions, might do a bit better with the golf. Tiger has been benched for the time being. 

Thanks for the contest, it was fun. 

Thanks very much for your very kind words, Roger.

It's been a very stressful Week, since Antony's passing.

Listed below, is the provisional Final Standings Table, with just the result in Category 4, to be confirmed. 

FINAL STANDINGS

ENTRANT                          CAT.1 CAT.2 CAT.3 CAT.4 CAT.5 CAT.6 CAT.7 CAT. 8 CAT.9 M/C TOTAL

1. Seaside 60                          NIL  20.00   NIL      NIL   10.00   9.00    5.00     NIL    20.00      64.00

2. Lottiekent                          NIL  20.00   NIL     TBC     5.00   6.00     NIL    7.00    20.00      58.00

3. AvengerSE12 (Guest)       NIL  20.00   NIL      NIL     5.00   9.00     NIL    1.00    20.00      55.00

4.= Daniel                                NIL     NIL  5.00      NIL      NIL   5.00     NIL     8.00   20.00      38.00  

4.= John Stevens                    NIL  20.00  NIL      NIL      5.00   5.00    NIL     8.00      NIL       38.00

6. Roger J. Smith                    NIL     NIL   NIL     TBC     5.00    4.00    NIL     5.00    20.00     34.00

7. SepticPegSE12 (Guest)  10.00     NIL   NIL     NIL      NIL    8.00   5.00    2.00       NIL      25.00

8.= CheesepuffScott            NIL      5.00   NIL     NIL      NIL   8.00    5.00    4.00       NIL      22.00

8.= StephenSE12 (Guest)  10.00      NIL  5.00     NIL      NIL   5.00     NIL    2.00       NIL      22.00

10. BobD29                               NIL       NIL  NIL      NIL     5.00   7.00     NIL    4.00      5.00      21.00

11. Dreckly                               NIL       NIL  NIL      NIL     5.00   7.00     NIL    8.00       NIL      20.00

12. TomSE12                            NIL        NIL NIL      NIL      5.00   8.00     NIL    1.00       5.00    19.00

13. K/Weather                        NIL        NIL  NIL      NIL     5.00   6.00     5.00    2.00       NIL     18.00

14. Froze W.T. Days               NIL        NIL NIL      TBC      NIL    7.00    5.00    3.00       NIL     15.00

15. B87                                     NIL         NIL NIL       NIL    NIL    7.00     NIL    4.00        NIL      11.00

16. Claret047                          NIL         NIL NIL       NIL    NIL    2.00    5.00    2.00        NIL        9.00

CAT. = Categories.

M/C = "Virtual" Monetary Credits.

TBC = To Be Confirmed.

With the result of Category 4  still to be confirmed, only LOTTIEKENT, can catch the SEASIDE 60, and ROGER J. SMITH, force a Dead-Heat.

Below, is the predicting criteria for Category 4 and details of the ""Virtual" Monetary Credits, on offer:

CATEGORY 4: - Predict the Highest Temperature that will be recorded in the Netweather, S.E./East Anglia Region, during the 3 Months of Meteorological Winter (DJF). 

CATEGORY 4: Correct Prediction, to the exact Temperature (including decimal point) - £30. Within 0.5c - £5.

By Tomorrow, I should be able to confirm the Result of Category 4, and of the Competition as a whole.

I will also post up an analysis of the result of the - NW WINTER WEATHER PREDICTING COMPETITION.

Regards,

Tom.  ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️

Edited by TomSE12

Posted

Morning all,

Having been in contact with Roger (J. Smith), SANTON DOWNHAM (Suffolk), recorded a high of 18.4c, on Weds. 24th Feb.

That doesn't affect the placings in the Final Standings Table but improves the position of 2 Entrants, by £5 of "V"/M/C.

STEPHENSE12 moves up to outright 7th, from dead-heated 8th, and B87 moves up to 14th, from 15th.

Listed below, is the Final Standings Table, after the adjustments made on the confirmation of the result, in Category 4:

FINAL STANDINGS

ENTRANT                          CAT.1 CAT.2 CAT.3 CAT.4 CAT.5 CAT.6 CAT.7 CAT. 8 CAT.9 M/C TOTAL

1. Seaside 60                          NIL  20.00   NIL      NIL   10.00   9.00    5.00     NIL    20.00      64.00

2. Lottiekent                          NIL  20.00   NIL     TBC     5.00   6.00     NIL    7.00    20.00      58.00

3. AvengerSE12 (Guest)       NIL  20.00   NIL      NIL     5.00   9.00     NIL    1.00    20.00      55.00

4.= Daniel                                NIL     NIL  5.00      NIL      NIL   5.00     NIL     8.00   20.00      38.00  

4.= John Stevens                    NIL  20.00  NIL      NIL      5.00   5.00    NIL     8.00      NIL       38.00

6. Roger J. Smith                    NIL     NIL   NIL     NIL       5.00   4.00    NIL     5.00    20.00     34.00

7. StephenSE12 (Guest)     10.00    NIL  5.00     5.00      NIL     5.00    NIL     2.00      NIL     27.00

8. SepticPegSE12 (Guest)  10.00     NIL   NIL     NIL      NIL    8.00   5.00    2.00       NIL      25.00

9.  CheesepuffScott             NIL      5.00   NIL     NIL      NIL   8.00    5.00     4.00      NIL      22.00

10. BobD29                               NIL       NIL  NIL      NIL     5.00   7.00     NIL    4.00      5.00      21.00

11. Dreckly                               NIL       NIL  NIL      NIL     5.00   7.00     NIL    8.00       NIL      20.00

12. TomSE12                            NIL        NIL NIL      NIL      5.00   8.00     NIL    1.00       5.00    19.00

13. K/Weather                        NIL        NIL  NIL      NIL     5.00   6.00     5.00    2.00       NIL     18.00

14. B87                                     NIL         NIL NIL      5.00    NIL     7.00     NIL     4.00       NIL     16.00

15. Froze W.T. Days               NIL        NIL NIL       NIL     NIL    7.00    5.00     3.00       NIL     15.00

16. Claret047                          NIL         NIL NIL       NIL    NIL    2.00    5.00    2.00        NIL        9.00

CAT. = Categories.

M/C = "Virtual" Monetary Credits.

TBC = To Be Confirmed.

I'm relieved I can finally put the Competition, to bed now.

I'd like to thank all Entrants, for their support in taking part and especially Roger, for being able to "pick his brains", with reference to his Weather Competition experience.

God willing, I'd like to "host" a similar Competition, for the Winter of 2021/22.

Many congratulations to SEASIDE 60, on his victory.

Later on Today, I will be "hosting" a short "Virtual" Prize giving Ceremony, and an analysis of the Competition result.

In the meantime, I'd like to leave you with a couple of Youtube clips of appropriate pieces of Music:

Don't forget, to take the, "Weather with you":

And always look after your Snowmen!!: 

Regards,

Tom.   ?️ ?️ ?️ ❄️

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1