Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The worst of the named storms hitting the UK since naming began in 2015

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

A look at some of the worst named-storms to hit the UK over the past 5 years, since naming of storms by the Met Office and Met Eireann began in September 2015
nw image

View the full blog here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I suppose it very much depends on where you live but in my part of the country the Boxing Day 2015 floods (storm Eva I think) would be up there as the biggest storm weather event since they started naming them.

It brought horrendous flooding across Lancashire and West Yorkshire although in my town the flooding from Storm Ciara was probably worse even though the rainfall total was less than the 125mm we got on Boxing Day.

question Nick, am I correct that it was Ciara as I thought it was in early February but your saying January.

either way it was a bit moist as we say in these parts with the gale force wind blowing the rain through the barge boards until it dripped through the ceiling at one stage.

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I suppose it very much depends on where you live but in my part of the country the Boxing Day 2015 floods (storm Eva I think) would be up there as the biggest storm weather event since they started naming them.

It brought horrendous flooding across Lancashire and West Yorkshire although in my town the flooding from Storm Ciara was probably worse even though the rainfall total was less than the 125mm we got on Boxing Day.

question Nick, am I correct that it was Ciara as I thought it was in early February but your saying January.

either way it was a bit moist as we say in these parts with the gale force wind blowing the rain through the barge boards until it dripped through the ceiling at one stage.

My daughter and I cut short a weekend in Llandudno due to storm Ciara, just stayed for one night on the 9th February.  Wind howled around the hotel all night long.  Roads into Rhyl were flooded. Managed to get to the zoo in Colwyn Bay, spent half an hour staring at a turtle in the tropical house, just to thaw out.  It sleeted, it hailed, the wind was wild.  Then the following weekend storm Dennis paid a visit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
5 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

My daughter and I cut short a weekend in Llandudno due to storm Ciara, just stayed for one night on the 9th February.  Wind howled around the hotel all night long.  Roads into Rhyl were flooded. Managed to get to the zoo in Colwyn Bay, spent half an hour staring at a turtle in the tropical house, just to thaw out.  It sleeted, it hailed, the wind was wild.  Then the following weekend storm Dennis paid a visit.

Thankfully Dennis didn’t dump as much on us as Ciara did but I know other parts suffered quite badly.

it was certainly a wet couple of weeks and I hope to god that this winter doesn’t follow the same theme although the default for recent years seems to be plenty of rain but little snow and frost.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Emma was the best one here as it brought about 4" of snow over night, the rest were all a bit mediocre in terms of wind speeds. There hasn't been a proper storm in terms of storm force winds since Jan 2012.

Posted
22 hours ago, iand61 said:

Hi, yes, it was indeed 8/9 February, have corrected it.

• Like 1

Posted

Although not personally the worst of the named storms for the UK itself but more so for the Arctic was Storm Frank in 2015.

image.thumb.png.80f742ee093a2f71c0c5c295ae1fb6e1.pngimage.thumb.png.f6348726c870730e3715d1aa77857ef8.pngimage.thumb.png.f46e6da6beb0727336b74e469fda2123.pngimage.thumb.png.f92069579a7e6ecca520bb123ef6937f.pngimage.thumb.png.854ff74fb6287c2ddff93038850cd16f.png

It pushed air that had originated in the sub tropical Caribbean right into the pole itself

image.thumb.png.3b4bd79e2b4d28f82006556c15c6e2f6.pngimage.thumb.png.887074ad4bfc98b4f239cacf7c0c6857.png

That in itself was a highly unusual event but in general of all the named storm seasons the 2015/16 one was in my opinion the worst one overall even if the winter before it had the most storms I can remember for an entire winter season

Edited by SqueakheartLW