Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter approaches

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
42 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

> Have a break if it’s getting too much. Sometimes a break can help refresh the mind and see the models from a fresh perspective. Can put you in more of a anti-toy-throwing state - even if it’s just for some time. 

> Don’t visit the pram store. 

T

Best thing to do is just forget December and Jan and if anything does happen its a bonus, just hope for a Mid to late season SSW to put us in the game for February.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Best thing to do is just forget December and Jan and if anything does happen its a bonus, just hope for a Mid to late season SSW to put us in the game for February.

December looks loaded to me mate?

Certainly I'm chasing a northerly !

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

December looks loaded to me mate?

Certainly I'm chasing a northerly !

All looks very transient in nature, a Slushfest for you and Saddleworth at best, cold rain for me - i haven't seen anything that points to a proper Northerly yet.

Posted
15 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

All looks very transient in nature, a Slushfest for you and Saddleworth at best, cold rain for me - i haven't seen anything that points to a proper Northerly yet.

I tend to agree for the moment, the set-up however is still quite a bit removed from where we could be if we had a coupled Strat-Troph situation like last winter rapidly evolved into.

At the very least its looking increasingly cool by day and we should start to see some frosts next week under a subtle continental wind (though I think it might be somewhat limited due to cloud cover).

Still time for changes to allow the set-up to become very interesting for all of the country. At the moment its probably a C+ type set-up we are seeing, its far from as bad as it could be but if it doesn't evolve into something more interesting on its own it won't be much to note.

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, bluearmy said:

given the overall tone of the 00z eps suite, there will be a fair bit of attention on the ec46 when it appears this evening 

Good news? Or an anti-climax? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

EC day 10 mean is solid for a Nly thereafter. All good.

Seriously!?! that's if we ever get to near that point...210 looked good until 240, there always seems a way for cyclogenesis to form around Greenland/Iceland area.

Seems to be the trend on here of recent winters to mention day 10 or beyond

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I tend to agree for the moment, the set-up however is still quite a bit removed from where we could be if we had a coupled Strat-Troph situation like last winter rapidly evolved into.

At the very least its looking increasingly cool by day and we should start to see some frosts next week under a subtle continental wind (though I think it might be somewhat limited due to cloud cover).

Still time for changes to allow the set-up to become very interesting for all of the country. At the moment its probably a C+ type set-up we are seeing, its far from as bad as it could be but if it doesn't evolve into something more interesting on its own it won't be much to note.

Im going to go the other way and say i would prefer old skool late Autumns with rampant zonality, the sooner they couple, the sooner they are parted rather than ending up with cold Marches.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Im going to go the other way and say i would prefer old skool late Autumns with rampant zonality, the sooner they couple, the sooner they are parted rather than ending up with cold Marches.

I don't mind that, but of course you run the risk that they simply never part full stop, as we saw last winter. With a strong ENSO event I worry that omnce something like that sets-up its going to be mighty hard to decouple them and is going to need the potluck of some major PV disruption event, certainly no guarantee. 

The longer they can stay decoupled the greater the chances we can establish some early sort of upper high that we can use, especially if we can keep the set-up closer to El nino look throughout the atmosphere (again, no certainty that will last through the winter, would be classic if it shifted late winter so we get the worst of both worlds so to speak!)

Thumbing through the ECM ensembles, its fair to say that most are a little cooler than average, but very little give anything that sustained or noteworthy. Equally on the positive side, few go all that mild either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Just lol

156 ...

-8c into Kent with snow flurries...

F2FFD435-A78F-403E-930D-4CBF9C7074F5.thumb.png.393ec7f3c22190196a681790c5746610.pngCE43F375-1F19-4E9A-B8A8-A0F309DD9CF3.thumb.png.9c23ade0d68dc7f471a2931875e16a92.png

Wow that is very close mate!!upgrade on the 12z i think!!lets hope 00zs upgrade the initial easterly tomorrow!!ukmo really needs to up its game on the 00z!!had enough of this flip flopping!!lol

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Just lol

156 ...

-8c into Kent with snow flurries...

F2FFD435-A78F-403E-930D-4CBF9C7074F5.thumb.png.393ec7f3c22190196a681790c5746610.pngCE43F375-1F19-4E9A-B8A8-A0F309DD9CF3.thumb.png.9c23ade0d68dc7f471a2931875e16a92.png

A snizzle chart if ever I've seen one!

There is enough there to work with in terms of precip, but I doubt anywhere is going to be getting anything beyond flurries from that of course.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, chris55 said:

18z sending in a cold easterly feed. Daytime temps really struggling, should feel very seasonal. 

8C64E57C-4404-4A80-9164-1B4E17F56C19.thumb.png.5f170a883bad1de31bda71d8940f3125.png

All depends on cloud over in set ups like this I feel. I don't mind a cold cloudy day if its foggy as that can be seasonal but much prefer the sunnier days and frosty nights. 

Either way, after this weather front clears on Wednesday we should go through a period of no Atlantic weather which is most welcome. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

18z ushers Dec in with a cold flow . .

It very nearly ushered in Dec with a right pasting but the trough didn't slide enough, too much energy went NE - rain for Western Britain.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
17 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

WARNING!  Cold run incoming

BFTP

After the colder easterly at day 7 it Looks about the same as the 12z to me? 

19E82AF7-92F0-42C0-A47F-E0110F67ACD0.png

77F3A745-83A6-4781-845D-13FD21A37E83.png

• Like 1