Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter approaches

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Seasonal.  pv on the move and meto using the words “become more uncertain” . We are in the game

B3143A37-FDA4-4A2A-B45D-35C25CBAA8E4.gif

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 5

Posted

The U.K. looks like it’s sat in some pretty stagnent continental air at day 7/8, the continent isn’t very cold but I imagine it will still feel pretty seasonal. Can’t see the 2m temps , but daytime temps here would be below normal.

0971CA5B-A85F-4EB3-A1C9-6635D3092B27.png

Now we just need the PV to shift East and get some heights up and around Greenland to give us a chance at getting some Arctic Air.

187CF0D6-E9E7-4E58-B99A-C9E89191C507.jpeg

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

The U.K. looks like it’s sat in some pretty stagnent continental air at day 7/8, the continent isn’t very cold but I imagine it will still feel pretty seasonal. Can’t see the 2m temps , but daytime temps here would be below normal.

0971CA5B-A85F-4EB3-A1C9-6635D3092B27.png

agreed, think it would also be colder away from the east coast too, western areas with clear skies may benefit if it’s frost you want 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Yesterday ecm and this mornings. Where’s the low to the nw? Removal of this would help

5CAA0330-B38B-4D65-B22B-0F8150F7CD78.png

AD8B9B78-D835-4287-B0CB-B71FD50E9DA7.png

Posted

I’d bank that, look how cold that air is just to our North, about -16c 850s only about 200 miles off Scotland and winds staying from the North.

Heights are building up around Labrador and the LPs in that area are dying away, so less chance of spoiling the party. Let’s see if the 06z GFS shows similar. I’d expect a change of words on the METO forecast if their models showing similar, and let’s not get too carried away as it’s still a long way off!! Nice all the same though!! 

336C8947-50CC-485C-98C4-30728AAC4454.png

95EE2E80-B7D7-461E-9113-6735CDE17CF1.png

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, DavidS said:

Good indications for a cooler and more seasonable spell of weather in the coming week. With the potential for something colder in the extended.

999A8C59-6480-4A36-913F-89AC0208EECA.gif

The day 10 mean pressure chart shows many of the EMS must be on the same page, and there’s no quick return to a mobile set up from here you’d think!! Maybe nothing exceptionally cold (Initially at least) but this could be a long chilly spell, not often we have those nowadays. 

AC49ED9F-9B02-48B8-8926-0DF7869DE115.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
8 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

Day ten control...

gensnh-0-1-240.thumb.png.23c6e50b8327f4ac3cb54ad4c8ed8975.png

...incoming.

Op gone towards that

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Take a look at those uppers on this mornings ECM run... reaching near -16c in the Shetland Islands!

ECM0-240.gif

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

The first chase begins with EC det day 10...

Net weather Prayer mats ready to be initiated !

fully expect the Nick Sussex winter Prozac supply to see its first winter outing ........

• Like 1

Posted

So, the emerging trend appears to be the Azores high ridging NE to southern Scandinavia, this slowly erodes and all eyes turn to the Atlantic...

Could go really well ala EC det, or meh , ala GFS op...

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

So, the emerging trend appears to be the Azores high ridging NE to southern Scandinavia, this slowly erodes and all eyes turn to the Atlantic...

Could go really well ala EC det, or meh , ala GFS op...

I’ve seen over the last few years that when GEM agrees with ECM we can be fairly confident. I’m not sure about recent data but GEM was outperforming GFS at day 10 last time I checked.

Lots to be optimistic about going into winter...can’t believe it’s not even winter yet! Feels like we are half way through snow chasing season already

4587F077-7643-49FC-A686-97B983E8B82F.png

5B94DFE7-D6B2-4A1A-B815-FA8310F5B9FC.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, southbank said:

fully expect the Nick Sussex winter Prozac supply to see its first winter outing ........

Unfortunately I’m having supply problems so will have to ration it! 

With that in mind the outputs need to dial down the stress for coldies !

Regarding today’s outputs encouraging signs but they key is to get the pattern sufficiently south and east and we need high pressure to the nw to act as a driver for that , we don’t want any suggestions of a west based negative NAO .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Unfortunately I’m having supply problems so will have to ration it! 

With that in mind the outputs need to dial down the stress for coldies !

Regarding today’s outputs encouraging signs but they key is to get the pattern sufficiently south and east and we need high pressure to the nw to act as a driver for that , we don’t want any suggestions of a west based negative NAO .

Careful though Nick, i have many a time in early winter during the run up to a failed cold spell before, feared a west based -NAO and the jet has ended up so much stronger it has ended up so far an East based -NAO that it is a +NAO!

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Careful though Nick, i have many a time in early winter during the run up to a failed cold spell before, feared a west based -NAO and the jet has ended up so much stronger it has ended up so far an East based -NAO that it is a +NAO!

The west based negative NAO is always a concern. So I’d like to see the models edge the pattern further se . It’s unlikely we’ll end up with an east based negative NAO with the current evolution , the blocking over Russia is likely to stop any troughing from making too much eastwards progress .

Anyway let’s keep our fingers crossed as the UK deserves a change of luck after the recent run of rubbish winters .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A quick, wee perusal of this morning's 00Z... at T+384, of course!:santa-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Et les ensembles:

t850Berkshire.png    prmslBerkshire.png

t2mBerkshire.png    prcpBerkshire.png

By Gad, that was exciting!

• Like 2

Posted

In regards to the continental flow around 120 and 144 hours we need to see stronger ridging across norway on the gfs 06z!!!gfs 00z was still quite weak with it especially when comparing it to the ecm and ukmo!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The west based negative NAO is always a concern. So I’d like to see the models edge the pattern further se . It’s unlikely we’ll end up with an east based negative NAO with the current evolution , the blocking over Russia is likely to stop any troughing from making too much eastwards progress .

Anyway let’s keep our fingers crossed as the UK deserves a change of luck after the recent run of rubbish winters .

That is why I always keep alluding to the fact we need to keep an eye on what is happening to the east not just NAO region. It has been an eternity since we last had proper low heights in Europe in winter specially early winter. They are often modeled after 192hr but the SE Europe/Western Russia high is a beast in winter

• Like 3