Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter approaches

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
16 hours ago, CreweCold said:

It might not be, but hemispherically you can see pressure repeatedly being placed on the zonal hemispheric flow by that Russian HP. 

Personally I would not discount a SSW mid winter...

Well as expected, the northerly the ECM was showing previously isnt a pattern change. Fair point though about the Russian HP.

I have no opinion myself on the possibilities of a mid winter SSW, thats too far ahead, ill wait to see what the SPV does first before thinking about a SSW.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Well as expected, the northerly the ECM was showing previously isnt a pattern change. Fair point though about the Russian HP.

I have no opinion myself on the possibilities of a mid winter SSW, thats too far ahead, ill wait to see what the SPV does first before thinking about a SSW.

Well it looks like it’s strengthening big time high up but lower down remains quite subdued .....I’m not going to second guess what follows that although it would seem obvious ... 

• Like 3

Posted

ECM 240 hrs has tracking low centre southwest of U.K. interesting track if it remains.
Keeping the cooler/ colder theme going for most of U.K. and unsettled.

All waiting to see where the high pressure will form as the met office suggest after this 

unsettled spell.Very interesting and hopeful for cold weather fans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Looks to me like the normal ebb and flow in nwp this morning as we head to towards something more seasonal.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

6 z gfs again early doors has lost the Heighths exiting the the esb ete. Leaves the PV to pump up and spread sse. Not sure where that leaves things long term but Id suspect a more mobile west to east flow. Hopefully wrong as usual but hey ho and all thst

Edited by swfc
  • Like 5

Posted
21 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Happy Birthday, swfc...I was being introduced to the 'wonders' of school, when you were born!

ThanksGC. Yes the clocks ticking isn't it pal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But Monday and Tuesday look okay... I guess I'm one of those odd faqirs, who think that very mild conditions can be as good as very cold!

h500slp.png     h850t850eu.png

• Like 6

Posted

Well, whaddayouknow: a synoptic that, back in the 1960s, might have produced 3-hours' steady snowfall... But, in our currently warming world -- bugger all!

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Edited by General Cluster
Lost marbles!
  • Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Well it looks like it’s strengthening big time high up but lower down remains quite subdued .....I’m not going to second guess what follows that although it would seem obvious ... 

Yup, they will stay disconnected until march

• Like 1

Posted

Sticking my neck out here but i think 12zs shall upgrade the wedge of heights across greenland/iceland between 120 and 144 hours!!gfs 06z stil same as the 00z!!!ukmo looks the best of the lot at 144 hours!

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Sticking my neck out here but i think 12zs shall upgrade the wedge of heights across greenland/iceland between 120 and 144 hours!!gfs 06z stil same as the 00z!!!ukmo looks the best of the lot at 144 hours!

Yes the 6z is better on the nhp for sure. PV pretty much on its ars yet we still look like pulling in a wsw wind around day ten cheers southern europe

Edited by swfc

Posted

Waiting to see a run that extends the Atlantic trough extension se rather than ne or ene. We do see break away small systems running se (interestingly as the timing gets closer) but so far, all the models seem to extend the Azores ridge ene in week 2

• Like 3

Posted

spacer.pngGFS 6 z @ 144 hrs ( 850 hPa )

A brief window of interest on Fri 20th for the North and East of the country according to the GFS 6z.

Nice to see the -8 isotherm making an appearance on the model output within the 7 day range i suppose

• Like 7

Posted
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Waiting to see a run that extends the Atlantic trough extension se rather than ne or ene. We do see break away small systems running se (interestingly as the timing gets closer) but so far, all the models seem to extend the Azores ridge ene in week 2

Yep, day 7 is critical. Ecm day 7 highlights what you are referring to. What is that energy to the west going to do? Fast forward to day 10 and we do start to see some propensity for energy to head south east. Lets see what the 12z runs bring. Fascinating as ever. 

Screenshot_20201114-105423.png

Screenshot_20201114-105451.png

• Like 4

Posted

Heyyy! GFS 06Z at T+384... exciting innit!

h500slp.png   h850t850eu.png

More runs needed?

Edited by General Cluster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Wow, wow, wow..hey I sound like zeroblog on youtube..check him out, he’s a funny dude..anyway...the message from the Gfs 6z op is head north, drive up to the north of Scotland for a brief taste of winter later next week..wow..wow! ❄️ 

27D3321C-5700-4C0E-AC75-DD19A731A9E6.thumb.jpeg.c042175ba5ba04d1479593fd8a42c071.jpeg333D5748-7981-4E76-9988-ADDEDC236F17.thumb.jpeg.32802640f7895af86d077342db718da8.jpeg6255581E-09D0-4ED0-875D-348422DE13E2.thumb.jpeg.7d8a08c4e9efb926e0fbf2ace901a200.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Wow, wow, wow..hey I sound like zeroblog on youtube..check him out, he’s a funny dude..anyway...the message from the Gfs 6z op is head north, drive up to the north of Scotland for a brief taste of winter later next week..wow..wow! ❄️ 

27D3321C-5700-4C0E-AC75-DD19A731A9E6.thumb.jpeg.c042175ba5ba04d1479593fd8a42c071.jpeg333D5748-7981-4E76-9988-ADDEDC236F17.thumb.jpeg.32802640f7895af86d077342db718da8.jpeg6255581E-09D0-4ED0-875D-348422DE13E2.thumb.jpeg.7d8a08c4e9efb926e0fbf2ace901a200.jpeg

Think it might get much colder everywhere, models are only slowly adjusting to a big pattern change. Maybe a prolonged cold spell. 

Will you be around if the snow arrives considering you manage to pre_order a ps5 lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Now this is what i want to happen....

Pert 12

anim_kip2.thumb.gif.493e3d909b356de0f83c42c7f3640211.gifanim_hma5.thumb.gif.1c7cf6e494babb12d4a0375b25a857d4.gif

....but i know it won't

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

Now this is what i want to happen....

anim_kip2.thumb.gif.493e3d909b356de0f83c42c7f3640211.gifanim_hma5.thumb.gif.1c7cf6e494babb12d4a0375b25a857d4.gif

....but i know it won't

Perfect timing if it were a month on! Still, a welcome change if it were to transpire even in November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
20 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Will you be around if the snow arrives considering you manage to pre_order a ps5 lol

Wow, wow, I would have given you a like for that sleety if I had any..thanks mods!

Anyway, this upcoming cold snap..if it happens at all, has come out of left field, never anticipated anything wintry before December but perhaps we will see something colder?..ps..what happened to the anticyclonic charts recently???they have imploded..anyway, bye for now.

Edited by Jon Snow

Posted
23 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Perfect timing if it were a month on! Still, a welcome change if it were to transpire even in November.

It would deliver in late November with surface flow off the continent .......single gefs members being quoted are never a good sign though ...

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Over the years I have found the models seem to take an age to make their minds up when a change to a split or se tracking jet might be in the air.   The one exception being nov  2010.

Posted
2 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

A slight deterioration in the forecast for cold & snow potential this week ( with the exception being the UKMO )

GFS 06z very progressive with the atlantic > thus not allowing the cold to become established across the uk before being swept away East.

Usually the meeting point is a halfway house which may then present some chances of snow for Scotland...

If UKMO correct then wintryness more widespread...

Strange days (well it is 2020) when the presumption is that the GFS  is more likely than Exeter... Not that I'm saying otherwise! 

Cue the usual "xyz model is dross" etc etc (it's been a while, so might as well get one in now)...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

In a way, I think if it went out further, the UKMO would likely lead to a similar scenario of the 00Z NAVGEM. The mid-Atlantic and Icelandic High showing some fairly decent amplification where the Low on its Western side becomes negatively tilted and rather squashed, as it shifts Eastwards under those wedge of heights to our North. Compared to some other models, there’s more amplification to that High Pressure, and the mid to Western Atlantic Lows don’t blow away that ridging. 

A7EB011C-07BE-404C-9245-BC77B36FDADC.thumb.png.6b8f7fa122734f606c744387e7d3e1f0.png92B80CFC-8679-4B0C-8711-4F3B088AF57D.thumb.png.94236d6d09b60ed7a07958321b61648f.png8A613A8E-73C0-4B3D-9F00-5FA60BC10B09.thumb.png.a7696aafd7fd17efb3c437a8a1c4aed9.png627DC52C-E42A-4017-A340-3EE71A556127.thumb.png.2db157f1611d67d6787c6082f082085f.png

However, it’s likely that the Low to our West in the Northern Atlantic would push/disrupt in a more Southerly track under that mid-Atlantic and Icelandic ridging on the UKMO, thanks to the Azores High generally suppressed further South. Better possibilities for keeping the cold going, and probably not necessarily for just Northern UK:

A65AE5C6-2489-4ABD-BCD8-B10EDEF9A384.thumb.jpeg.70bbd93eb5172e09b9753200b36d91aa.jpeg

• Like 7