Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Winter approaches

Paul

Posted

A fresh model thread as we close in on the start of winter, not that you'd know it with the weather being so mild right now. As ever, please keep it friendly and model related in here. For more general winter related chat, please head over to the upcoming winter discussion:

If you're wanting to learn more about meteorology, please take a look at the Learning and Research area.

Model Output And Charts On Netweather:
UKV (Extra subscribers)
GFS
GEFS Ensembles
ECMWF
ECMWF EPS
NetWx-SR (3km)
NetWx-MR (9km)
Met Office (UKMO)
Fax
GEM
GFS Hourly

Model Comparison
Golbal Jetstream
Stratosphere

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, it's been two long hours' since the first/last post... and, by gad, was it worth the wait! GFS 06Z at T+384:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

The perfect chart, for sitting down and enjoying some Hot Chocolate... Every One's Winner, eh?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I suspect your mad in the napper GC but arnt we all yes the same and continuing heights pulling up mild air and dankness. Could be worse, "not a lot" but worse. Going forward it seems zonal winds are forecast to pick up so I guess it's "so you win again PV"

Edited by swfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

The latest Control run from GFS will lift the spirits. For a bit of fun , produces a chart for potential snowfall across Wales and North Midlands in two weeks time. Followed by a period of Nely winds . Of course the op and ens run shows nothing of this.  We can dream.

C

GFSC00EU06_312_2.png

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, swfc said:

I suspect your mad in the napper GC but arnt we all yes the same and continuing heights pulling up mild air and dankness. Could be worse, "not a lot" but worse. Going forward it seems zonal winds are forecast to pick up so I guess it's "so you win again PV"

Well, should charts like that carry on for much longer, I'll be  crazy!

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Just had a look at the GEFS 6z and the good news is there is still some support from the mean for high pressure to build in during the second half / last third of November settling things down with potential for fog / frost!

81E9BD7D-C0ED-4502-AB28-A7E30D23B2AE.thumb.jpeg.b9dad4d104476828b2c0884dfe79cc5b.jpegA3969E70-72FE-4DC2-9557-CA7B5B128EE1.thumb.jpeg.edf21e47fa70cf1680cb74bb823af54c.jpeg688E1382-5636-4877-A06E-BB8276CF1AF9.thumb.jpeg.058c569817134dcf94cb0a4a5211e8c4.jpegA3E66318-FAEA-498B-8431-C0367F0A5615.thumb.jpeg.a2c9cadd48ceba3f9e67773131a246ba.jpeg568EE01B-7F60-4A67-BDBA-22466B93E7FF.thumb.jpeg.88ba63ebe5b82c1b556daa0a6fc69071.jpeg185BDBC9-CFE1-4ABE-A4C2-4D0589E29BCD.thumb.jpeg.45bd17091e138cae492a36da3c45723d.jpegED7AD32A-CD18-4621-8CEA-FA11E84DD933.thumb.jpeg.c6d3b3f669fa80196ec9c4dd54dceb42.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.87620d9ae39b1c67138320d391d6254f.png

Even at day 6 there is massive spread in the ensembles - worst case 1010mb, best case 1030mb. Longer term prospects all depending on if the high can build in next week. If it does then colder chances could follow. If it doesn't then i think we will collapse into a +NAO regime. A bit of a crunch point coming up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Polar vortex looks like it will be settling down in Greenland for the next while. When it’s there, it’s quite difficult to get sustained wintry weather, as we all know!

6D9117E8-53FC-4C99-9590-8239C0EBE22B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Until there is some deep entrenched cold over Scandanavia & Europe then I don't hold any hope for any proper wintery conditions getting established.

We need a sub-zero Continent - when they're at +5 to + 10c then forget it, the best we can hope for is a bit of mountain snow here and there which doesn't enthuse me much being based in the South East 

Anyway, there's still a long way to go this winter so fingers crossed.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T144 ukmo & gfs.  Is it worth looking past this time frame? 

5E670B72-6E61-4340-95A4-B48A5CA355E7.png

50C7E70E-D0F1-481B-B332-6F2EB2CD62C4.png

• Like 6

Posted

Light years away given current swings on the models but 12z gfs blocks of the Atlantic in fairy land

• Like 3

Posted

To drop dead, with shock; or, to roll on the floor laughing? That is the question!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
16 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

To drop dead, with shock; or, to roll on the floor laughing? That is the question!

To bin or not to bin?

Some models are showing some ridging of the Azores High at around the T210 mark. Ideally, we would need that HP to back out to the west a bit for any chances of something cold. If it does, then we may see some charts like what this evenings GEM is currently showing. Way out into FI of course, so it's best to take these charts with a pinch of salt. 

gem-0-210.thumb.png.a5f3949fbfc160ba118612e6d6f952ea.png   gem-1-234.thumb.png.b894fbf0aea21919913595babf9251ae.png

The GEM is the only model I have seen so far that goes for this scenario. The last couple of frames show another cold shot too as that HP stalls in the Atlantic and to the south of Iceland. The wait for cold continues...

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 5

Posted

I think given the various forecasts for a "front loaded, mid winter and back loaded winter" the hokey cokey would be more in line GCstill not a bad looking chart for late November I guess

• Like 3

Posted

The UKMO day 6 chart is not without interest.  Limited support from other NWP - let’s see what the ECM shows later...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
28 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I’d be happy with that going into December. If it’s good enough for the Metoffice its good enough for me

0A2E73A9-DC6F-4D68-8A50-7BD9E07E6955.png

That’s a decent chart. Any time the main lobe of the PV is away from Greenland and Arctic Canada it’s always better for us!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

GEFS mean day 11

gensnh-31-1-264.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, jules216 said:

GEFS mean day 11

gensnh-31-1-264.png

Not great is it jules maybe the next 7 days may improve the outlook altho the up tick on the zonal winds would suggest not 

• Like 2

Posted

spacer.png GEM 12z Jet Stream for 21st Nov

GEM 12 z at 240hrs  suggests that the Jet Stream dives South.  That would bring some rather cold air to our shores. Will be interesting to see the ECM day 10 chart shortly to see if it shows something similar

• Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, swfc said:

Not great is it jules maybe the next 7 days may improve the outlook altho the up tick on the zonal winds would suggest not 

In other words... it's sheet!

Posted
30 minutes ago, jules216 said:

GEFS mean day 11

gensnh-31-1-264.png

And the gfs charts always verify EXACTLY as shown at that range,,every single time.

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, jules216 said:

GEFS mean day 11

Ukmo and ec at 144vhours are a good match altho I suspect the PV to the far nw will flatten things out 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
29 minutes ago, swfc said:

Rarely you find this crap so early in season.Hope its wrong.Its more akin to anomaly of those horible januaries of 1989,2014 or 2020 but not November jaysus way to early to see such +AO