Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2022/23

J10

Posted

I'd love to get back to Austria this winter......but not booked anything yet.

Not feeling confident about Covid this winter and consequently non EU British travellers being banned from Austria again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
On 02/09/2021 at 17:35, Kiwi said:

I'd love to get back to Austria this winter......but not booked anything yet.

Not feeling confident about Covid this winter and consequently non EU British travellers being banned from Austria again.

Yes, seems to be the case. Most of the hotels have plenty of German and Dutch booking already but few few from the UK. Of course a massive industry over here is ski-ing and I am sure everything will be done to welcome back the Brits sooner rather than later. Time to grab a good deal now with super low ski flight costs out from the UK to Salzburg presently.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

After a perusal of all the current Covid travel rules a couple of weeks back we've also decided to hold off for now on any plans for a trip with the motorhome to the Alps this coming season. It just looked all too complicated, especially with a currently un-vacinated 14yr old. Our holidays dont really coincide very well at Xmas though so it will be an Easter trip this season if it happens, so we have plenty of time to see how things progress in the next few months. As long as we can find space on a campsite somewhere relatively high (Soelden again?) we'll always get a ferry or tunnel crossing. 

• Like 1

Posted
On 04/09/2021 at 10:17, carinthian said:

Yes, seems to be the case. Most of the hotels have plenty of German and Dutch booking already but few few from the UK. Of course a massive industry over here is ski-ing and I am sure everything will be done to welcome back the Brits sooner rather than later. Time to grab a good deal now with super low ski flight costs out from the UK to Salzburg presently.

C

Rumours have that  the UK draconian Corvid Testings  with  added extortionate costs are going to be dropped soon. Thinking of a ski holiday the Alps ? Some advice get your flights booked now as cost will soar with increased demand after today with only limited flights on offer so far for next season.

C

• Like 1

Posted
On 17/09/2021 at 13:58, carinthian said:

Rumours have that  the UK draconian Corvid Testings  with  added extortionate costs are going to be dropped soon. Thinking of a ski holiday the Alps ? Some advice get your flights booked now as cost will soar with increased demand after today with only limited flights on offer so far for next season.

C

News of lots of bookings for Austrian Ski Resort holidays taken today from the UK. Great news and covid restrictions into Austria also being lifted for fully vaccinated Brits. Get those skis waxed. Last year was vintage on the slopes but not the same without the guests.

C

Posted

Snow cannons being placed for the new  ski-ing season early in some local resorts. Already excited !

C

242686218_4685624761469287_497416578372243509_n.jpg

242596524_4685624434802653_457735302460365646_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Summer season now officially over. Work starts today in preparation for the ski-ing season. Always an exciting time in anticipation .Well this little man seems happy at the prospect..

243211604_4477001129032159_5504766372448104793_n.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

13th October. Snow cover at the top station of the local ski mountain in  Zauchensee. The World Cup run starts from the top peak in the background.

C

245316046_4530328543699417_3337316148572593576_n.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Britains No I slalom Skier Dave Riding  back at his home, Pendle Ski Club today. It is a long time since I skied there! . Great part of the world Clitheroe and Bowland Fells.

C

245307184_10158463555527825_54192637845468230_n.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

After last weeks dumping most of the snow has gone at Sunshine. Back to being mostly bare but looking good for next week for a fair bit of the white stuff ❄️ . Three weeks tomorrow and Sunshine is set to open. The snow and colder temps best get a move on. Currently +5oC at the base. 

12C3A32B-1EA0-4BA8-A558-EEB61C660A0D.thumb.jpeg.913276b8800d350b912f3e9312e0a876.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Found this one from about 25 years or so back. Anyone else one remember the care free days of wearing no helmuts ? The luxury of travelling on a two person open slow moving chairlift and having a chat and a fag without upsetting anyone ! Happy days .

C

249407773_4571425449589726_3074283995065383971_n.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Resorts in the Alps should get a fairly widespread covering of snow early next week as rain on Monday turns to snow . Our own resort snow prediction in the Salzburgerland Alpine region is 15 cm at 1500m by the end of the day.

C

snowdepth_20211028_00_120.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
On 28/10/2021 at 13:17, carinthian said:

Resorts in the Alps should get a fairly widespread covering of snow early next week as rain on Monday turns to snow . Our own resort snow prediction in the Salzburgerland Alpine region is 15 cm at 1500m by the end of the day.

C

snowdepth_20211028_00_120.jpg

Morning all, as forecast the snow duly arrived overnight. 

C

252114903_4795305287154619_2185574799505058932_n.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold
On 02/11/2021 at 09:44, carinthian said:

Morning all, as forecast the snow duly arrived overnight. 

C

252114903_4795305287154619_2185574799505058932_n.jpg

Great to see the snow back, hopefully it'll stick around now for the season.  I am off to Sölden for the first time in February - looking forward to it after no skiing this year.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Typhoon John said:

Great to see the snow back, hopefully it'll stick around now for the season.  I am off to Sölden for the first time in February - looking forward to it after no skiing this year.

Good man.  One resort I have never been to  but has a reputation of full on ski-ing above the tree line and legendary apre but no doubt that may be have covid restrictions in place. However, come February may ease a bit. They are developing a ski pass that also incorporates Covid vaccination statues with G3. FFP2 face masks will be mandatory on cable cars but its a way back to some sort of normality, hopefully.

C

Posted

Snow cannons in action at the top of the Lauberhorn race start area, after just a few cm's of snow 2 days ago with it just about reaching the village.

image.thumb.png.9dc7948c73aff97c9c00187199de9a18.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

It's great to be webcam watching again as we head into winter and the Alps once more turn white.  

With Covid still a potential issue me and friends are playing it safe and have booked into our favourite French resort of Val Cenis in the Savoie for late January. We've been going there for donkeys years so know all the best/safest bars and restaurants as well as the 'open chairlift' route to the top station (2,800m), thus avoiding any need to go in the enclosed gondola/cable car system.

On Monday of this week Eric the local farmer still had his cows grazing the nursery slope. By Thursday the cows had been tucked away for winter as the first snowfall at village level (1,480m) arrived.

1st: 514363821_ValCenisnursery01Nov.thumb.jpg.a707b0c815e64eb39523be3db4ea6e60.jpg 4th: 1794559175_ValCenisnursery04Nov.thumb.jpg.bfc957cb6efa5336764bf85302d62331.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Up early on the mountain this morning. Some lovely powdery snow higher up and cold enough to getting snow blowers on full throttle. Current temp -2.6c . Love this type of weather, crisp sunshine and snow flurries in the air.

C

253334199_4598578380207766_6645556444754208726_n.jpg

253521823_4598578486874422_2876780553091663894_n.jpg

253998975_4598578586874412_1564664838419025487_n.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Got down to -5c last night. Snow making machines full on now. Nice covering of snow presently and should stay hopefully. Sunny start and frosty start to the day.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
23 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Snow cannons in action at the top of the Lauberhorn race start area, after just a few cm's of snow 2 days ago with it just about reaching the village.

image.thumb.png.9dc7948c73aff97c9c00187199de9a18.png

You and i have chatted about this amazing place before. I never miss a day of looking at the Jungfrau Region web cams.  Quite possibly this snow will hold on now and that would make it one of the earlier years . I noticed this year that the glacier (can never spell it unless I look it up) did not take on its normal brown slushy summer look. 

Posted

Yes I look every day but confess to not noticing about the glacier. The last time I was close to it, summer 2019, it was certainly way back from 30 years ago. If all goes well I hope to be in my usual hotel just after the Laubergorn race in January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
On 06/11/2021 at 10:17, johnholmes said:

Yes I look every day but confess to not noticing about the glacier. The last time I was close to it, summer 2019, it was certainly way back from 30 years ago. If all goes well I hope to be in my usual hotel just after the Laubergorn race in January.

Enjoy,  hoping to head back next autumn or possibly winter 2023. Seems a long way off but it will probably fly by.

• Like 1

Posted

One of my favourite hotels, The Hotel Schneider in Obertauern, has just been awarded No 1 Best Pistern Hotel in the Alps. Based on the reviews by Trip Advisor , Google and Holiday Check. I can really say this is the best ski location hotel I have stayed in. Great standards and staff. Best deals is to book direct with the hotel. Worth every Euro.

C

07c03a40-7ce8-4875-a767-6d2feaceb7c3.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

If you are planning a trip to the French Alps this coming season, Planet Ski have just published the latest in-resort Covid requirements. A few extracts:

France Announces Some Details for Ski Slopes for Next Winter

The Prime Minister,  Jean Castex, has announced that a pass will not be needed on ski lifts unless there are 200 confirmed cases per 100,000 inhabitants. At present France has a national case rate of 75 per 100,000 people. The rules are intended to “guarantee a dignified season” according to the Prime Minister.

Social distancing in lift queues will be compulsory and will be monitored. Once on an open chairlift masks can be removed, but they must be kept on while skiers and snowboarders are in cable cars and gondolas. Masks are not required in other open spaces or while skiing. Some ski areas have imposed their own restrictions including limitations on group sizes and extra cleaning protocols.

At present a health pass is required to go into venues including cafés, bars, restaurants, leisure centres, cinemas and theatres.

On Tuesday evening (9th Nov) President Macron will make a televised address to the nation giving more details.

Full article: https://planetski.eu/2021/11/08/france-announces-some-details-for-ski-slopes-for-next-winter/