Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2022/23

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

What a wonderful thing to do! It's the FIS World Cup Racing from St. Anton, Austria, this weekend and they've built loads of snowmen to replace the crowds that can't be there because of Covid restrictions. And it's raising money for 'Snowmen for Africa' charity too. This story and a round-up of what's happening around the Alps and USA/Canada from the PlanetSki team:

1068563307_StAntonsnowmen08Jan21.thumb.jpg.87aea4ee401626aa46e1ab6d36803744.jpg

https://planetski.uk/2021/01/04/coronavirus-impact-on-skiing-snowboarding-22/

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Clear track again this Monday morning. A cloudless Day followed. Gone very cold at sunset , currently -10c.

C

137491403_3729848677080745_3785031706859205772_o.jpg

Posted

Oh no! This is very disappointing news especially for @johnholmes who is a regular at the resort and I'm sure was looking forward to this coming weekend's FIS World Cup racing on the telly.

Lauberhorn Racing Off Due to Covid-19 in Wengen
One of the most anticipated World Cup alpine racing meetings of the ski season – due to take place this weekend – has been called off.

With just days to go, the Swiss canton of Bern decided to prohibit racing following a new analysis of the current Covid-19 situation in Wengen.

The Swiss Ski Federation announced the news on its website this afternoon. “The decision hurts enormously – all the more because the organising committee has done excellent preparatory work,” says Bernhard Aregger, CEO of Swiss-Ski.

“The cancellation of one of the most prestigious race weekends in the World Cup calendar makes the heart of every ski fan bleed. Nevertheless, it is our job to ensure the safety of everyone involved. Even with difficult decisions like this, health is in the foreground.”

Full story from PlanetSki: https://planetski.uk/2021/01/11/lauberhorn-racing-off-due-to-covid-19-in-wengen/

Posted

Ni BW

Gawd what a blow, I was looking forward to watching it on Euro Ski, Wengen and the Swiss Fed had done a fair bit of prep work. Jungrau railways, I'm told, had various plans to prevent anyone getting into the skiing area on the race days.

Oh well, I wonder how 'my' hotel is faring with tighter restrictions. I checked the Berne web site for a Covid update the back end of last week and the Jungfrau region was clear for skiing. Lots of folk on the videos and web cams so I wonder if they are going to close the whole lot down?

Thanks for the info

Posted
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Ni BW

Gawd what a blow, I was looking forward to watching it on Euro Ski, Wengen and the Swiss Fed had done a fair bit of prep work. Jungrau railways, I'm told, had various plans to prevent anyone getting into the skiing area on the race days.

Oh well, I wonder how 'my' hotel is faring with tighter restrictions. I checked the Berne web site for a Covid update the back end of last week and the Jungfrau region was clear for skiing. Lots of folk on the videos and web cams so I wonder if they are going to close the whole lot down?

Thanks for the info

Hi BW

Thanks for the info

been transferred to Kitzbuhel which is where they will be the following weekend. I expect some of the racers and teams may already be in Wengen as they usually leave early the morning after the last race. So, selfishly | suppose I am okay as I can watch both wekends on Eurosport!

• Like 1

Posted

Fantastic conditions presently with plenty of powder and low temperatures. Many of the lifts are closed due to lack of visitors but will all be in full operation at the weekend. This picture taken off piste just above the village. So plenty of nice snow but will need a bit of a hike !

C

139417415_3737095189689427_2819012708493405714_o.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Further to the Lauberhorn being moved due British Covid into the village, it seems that similar has occurred in Kitzbuhel, where the slalom and downhill were rescheduled for. The downhill will still go ahead in Kitzbuhel on Friday 21 st, but the slalom and the Kitzbuhel slalom are due at Flachau; super G and Hannenkham Saturday 23 and 24 th Kitzbuhel

Hopefully I can watch them on EuroSport. 

Ironic really as the race today would have been postponed due heavy snow still falling, ? over the weekend IF they had been able to shift the new snow. Monday should have seen me in Wengen so having to make due to the 6 cm I got yesterday!

image.thumb.png.7a08e824ed2a2ebb0abeaa6ea2b07a0f.png

Wengen train station at the moment!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Absolutely loads of snow falling across the Alps. Such a shame..... talk about wish you were there!

Huge Snowfall Continues in the Alps

If you’d rather not see pictures of the huge amounts of snow that have fallen, then look away now.   Most ski resorts remain closed and international travel is prohibited, but it does look fabulous for the lucky few able to enjoy it.

780447113_StAnton15Jan21.thumb.jpg.dd960b28c057bcc503f68aa8a11500b4.jpg

Full story and more pics from PlanetSki: https://planetski.eu/2021/01/15/huge-snowfall-continues-in-the-alps/

Meanwhile a similar story in Scotland with lots of snow but the resorts closed. Lecht today:

2014532941_Lecht15Jan21.thumb.jpg.ec14fa5738d1caad60eadff13cfa42e4.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Well my trip to St Moritz the week before Easter had now officially been called off... and the snow is fantastic, a shame no one will get to enjoy it so another year without the ski fix... and my daughter and my self still wait to use our new helmets with built in goggles/ visors.. fingers crossed for next year

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Well here we are mid-season. So sad this Saturday, most lifts empty, bars closed , no mountain huts. Fantastic pistes and hardly a soul to be seen. Think some of the hotels have given up all hope of welcoming visitors. Even the locals who have the mountains all to themselves, complain its not the same without the tourist.  The Tv news does not offer much hope for the rest of the season as much of Euro land is in a blame game for who gets the vaccination first.  Its a mess compared to proficiency of the NHS back in blighty.

C

• Like 3

Posted

My daughter sent me this one yesterday from a very cold Stockholm. The park is less than a mile from the city centre and has its own ski cross country circuit. Note the snow blowers working at -16c ! No hills in Stockholm but a new craze of Ski Kiting taking place using the uplift winds off the Baltic.  A great city to live in with so much open space.

C

142641897_886280468798457_4004187647523709777_n.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Lovely day on the local mountain. Sad hardly anyone on them today. Lifts closed early at 3pm . No Apre !

C

145222898_10159302486418628_4961092727109172044_o.jpg

144948637_10159302486258628_6144931348254486318_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Another Sunday morning coming up .

c

147362751_3800974329968179_2005022661169118044_o.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

The best way to spend Valentines Day ! On the lift up from Zauchensee.

C

149829241_3819403841458561_4496046963895633414_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted

Well thats it folks. Last runs of a very strange season. The resort officially closes on 5 th April. This weekend will see very warm and sunny conditions so should be busy with locals getting their last fix !  The irony is 40 cm of fresh snowfall forecast for Monday going into Tues with the approach of the Arctic front ( what a waste we ask ). Lets hope next season returns to some sort of normality with travel restrictions being a distance memory. Also, if that the snow conditions are good as this season , its going to be a good un.

Farewell and prost.

C

27750581_151545748894209_3322684427410306803_n.jpg

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 01/04/2021 at 15:19, carinthian said:

Well thats it folks. Last runs of a very strange season. The resort officially closes on 5 th April. This weekend will see very warm and sunny conditions so should be busy with locals getting their last fix !  The irony is 40 cm of fresh snowfall forecast for Monday going into Tues with the approach of the Arctic front ( what a waste we ask ). Lets hope next season returns to some sort of normality with travel restrictions being a distance memory. Also, if that the snow conditions are good as this season , its going to be a good un.

Farewell and prost.

C

27750581_151545748894209_3322684427410306803_n.jpg

The resort has been closed for over week now but this week has the best powder snow conditions than the whole of the season past . Oh what a waste !  A few very fit cross country skiers out enjoying the wonderful snow in the mountains this morning.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

It's been a very lonely season for you in this thread @carinthian, whilst most of us skiers tried to ignore the unreachable but fantastic snow available, for the sake of our sanity. Could have been a fantastic season in Scotland too but I've deliberately refused to look at webcams and reports as it would just have been too depressing, living only an hour or so drive from the Lecht and Glenshee.

At least I've had my snow fix at home, with weeks of dog walks in snow, sometimes up to my knees at times. Looking for some warmth now before a reset and a proper winter season for 21/22.

• Like 1

Posted

Aye @Ravelin yes still it snows again today. Need some warmth and sun now. Its been exceptionally good on the mountains but not the same without the visitors , especially miss the Brits. No pubs to visit ! Funny you mention Lecht, that was my first taste of ski-ing. I made the visit up to the Well of Lecht when I stayed at the newly built Stakis Coylumbridge Hotel out Aviemore back in the mid 70s. Ok fingers crossed for next season. Just hope the snow is as good for you guys.

C

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 1

Posted

Thanks to the semi permanent Spring High over the British Isles, the never ending winter continues in the Eastern Alps. Some pictures this morning of the higher piste runs still full of powder snow. Shame its all now closed !

C

177505830_4014673988598211_5665197434530238104_n.jpg

177814509_4014674251931518_2929976584438113950_n.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Posted

Those of you who missed a ski holiday last year, here is a cracker of a hotel located in Obertauern for your considerations. The Hotel Schneider, is without doubt one of the best ski in-out hotels in Austrian Alps. It has its own farm that supplies wonderful meat and dairy products to its operation.  I have been to many great locations and hotels but this one takes some beating . Just to wet the appetite for the coming season, hopefully for you guys with no restrictions in place come next season.

C

hotel-schneider-aerial-scaled-1700x1025-c-center.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Kaprun ski resort today at 2500m. 20cm of fresh snow on 29th August !

C

240876199_995625607889867_9015078828705942665_n.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Its always good to see decent amounts of snow this time of the year high up.

Even if it doesnt last it tops up what little is left high up.

Posted
5 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Its always good to see decent amounts of snow this time of the year high up.

Even if it doesnt last it tops up what little is left high up.

Yes, should help protect some of the glaciers higher up. However, as we approach September with its lower sun elevation quite a few snow patches remain on Northern slopes of the local mountains around 2500m elevation. More than quite a number of past recent summers. I am now hoping for a chill Autumn rather than languid warmth from the SW/S. If that Atlantic high stays to the West or North of the UK like much of this year it will be all the better for the coming season.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Who cannot wait ? Finger crossed !  

C

241130926_10158729788444139_6836055082811404540_n.jpg

• Like 1