Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2022/23

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
5 hours ago, johnholmes said:

I remember it well, I did visit Alpbach, probably about 3-4 years before then. No parallel turns, not even what were called stem Christie turns I think, snow ploughs!

Yes, JH the resort was one of the most popular back in those days with Brits. The famous Boglerhof Hotel next the the church was home to the Alpine Club . My wife a local farmers girl taught me to ski and there after my love affair with Austria  was to be far reaching. Hope alls well in the shire ?

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

1st one was 1972, we (all 4 of us kids) learnt to ski as soon as we could walk, in the Lake District and Cairngorm predominately.

2 nd pic was early 80's, when we used to travel with Red Guide Ski Holidays (£69 for a week, coach and self catering accommodation). Coach was a 24 hour journey, non stop except for ferry.

3rd pic was probably late 80s, I had skied with the British Junior ski team on a few locations, but parents couldnt afford the leap , and I wasnt committed enough. By this time, seen most of the Alps and a few USA resorts too.

I still have my boots and ski suit, my Dynastar 190s are covered in cobwebs in the garage roof space.....my right knee says no, never again.

• Like 1

Posted

Bormio was probably my most visited resort after Cairngorm, one of the local hoteliers had an English wife, and bagged the Bormio2000 Girasole  hotel after the 1985 world championships. The Fylde ski club uses to visit annually in Jan/feb, until only a couple of years ago. I have done some serious speeds and very silly things in Bormio. 

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

1st one was 1972, we (all 4 of us kids) learnt to ski as soon as we could walk, in the Lake District and Cairngorm predominately.

2 nd pic was early 80's, when we used to travel with Red Guide Ski Holidays (£69 for a week, coach and self catering accommodation). Coach was a 24 hour journey, non stop except for ferry.

3rd pic was probably late 80s, I had skied with the British Junior ski team on a few locations, but parents couldnt afford the leap , and I wasnt committed enough. By this time, seen most of the Alps and a few USA resorts too.

I still have my boots and ski suit, my Dynastar 190s are covered in cobwebs in the garage roof space.....my right knee says no, never again.

Think I once went with Red Guide to La Plagne. Picked me up from Manchester Chorlton Street Bus station and dropped me off at Knutsford Services on the M6 , maybe early 80s.

C

Posted
8 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Think I once went with Red Guide to La Plagne. Picked me up from Manchester Chorlton Street Bus station and dropped me off at Knutsford Services on the M6 , maybe early 80s.

C

If it was January, I was probably on the same bus, we did La Plagne or one of the other Plagne resorts(1800?) about 4 times in the early 80's. 

There was one night with massive snowfall, when the 3 facing 8 story apartment blocks had an international snowballing competition, balconies were all a foot deep, and it was hilarious pandemonium until the Gendermerie screeched into the plaza, and then all of a sudden, everyone went to bed with the lights off and ignored the loud bangs on the doors as the officers tried to find the culprits.

• Like 2

Posted

Just been skim reading on this site

logo.png?t=1606567683
WWW.WEATHERTOSKI.CO.UK

Weather to ski provides you with daily snow news and regularly updated snow reports and weather forecasts throughout the ski...

On first quick read for those ski/snow nuts using French resorts it would seem a good read. They have actual synoptic situations to illustrate the effect for different resorts.

I'd be interested in how those that ski any of the mentioned French resorts agree with the findings in this link.
enjoy

A good read with a cuppa I would imagine, I'll be having a good read with my afternoon cuppa.

Wonder if they do the same for Austria and Swizerland, must investigate.

• Like 1

Posted
On 27/11/2020 at 22:50, matty40s said:

If it was January, I was probably on the same bus, we did La Plagne or one of the other Plagne resorts(1800?) about 4 times in the early 80's. 

There was one night with massive snowfall, when the 3 facing 8 story apartment blocks had an international snowballing competition, balconies were all a foot deep, and it was hilarious pandemonium until the Gendermerie screeched into the plaza, and then all of a sudden, everyone went to bed with the lights off and ignored the loud bangs on the doors as the officers tried to find the culprits.

Could well have been. I do remember a massive snowfall during my weeks stay there. Think Red Guide were based in Blackpool.?

C

Posted
10 hours ago, carinthian said:

Could well have been. I do remember a massive snowfall during my weeks stay there. Think Red Guide were based in Blackpool.?

C

They were, it was almost door to door service for us!! Posh coaches for that era as well

• Like 1

Update from Zermatt.

First snow today for pretty much a month. However it’s been a generally cool period but cold at night with some sharp frosts. This helps to cool the ground down.F8D5147A-A7FA-49C9-949B-31046050A83F.thumb.png.eb0b9eea90995699264b92caeb324e7c.png 

A few cms expected today which immediately settled and is whitening the village up nicely!

Local forecast for the next 10 days are indicating a unsettled and sub zero pattern. Let’s hope this is what happens as it will put a nice base down for the winter.

Posted

You just knew it would happen. Snow arrives this weekend and most of Austrian Resorts will not now open until 24th December with only limited lift capacity. So it looks like locals only until 6th January 2021 when the hotels, bars and restaurants are planned to open. Bad news for all involved in the ski and hospitality industry. Where can I get my next pint from ? Ski-ing without the thought of a welcome ski fodder pit stop is not the same !

C

Posted
7 hours ago, carinthian said:

You just knew it would happen. Snow arrives this weekend and most of Austrian Resorts will not now open until 24th December with only limited lift capacity. So it looks like locals only until 6th January 2021 when the hotels, bars and restaurants are planned to open. Bad news for all involved in the ski and hospitality industry. Where can I get my next pint from ? Ski-ing without the thought of a welcome ski fodder pit stop is not the same !

C

Yes it’s very sad. Let’s hope the season can get going properly in January. Still it’s nice to see the snow coming now and it looks like you will be getting quite a bit in the next week or so.

• Like 1

Posted

Jungfrau region opens tomorrow, unusual for the swiss to be like this, normally very cautious.

The new Eiger express also to open.

• Like 2

Posted
On 27/11/2020 at 16:48, carinthian said:

Aye, goes back a few years. I am well informed these were taken in 1969. Way before my first introduction to ski-ing, My first ski-ing holiday was 1976 to a little resort called Alpach where I met my future wife. She taught me to ski. I do remember my first ski's ( Fischer brand ) were about 7 feet long ! and a bit of a struggle. No carvers in those days.

C

1 year out...I’ll take that

• Like 1

I was watching the skiing today (Men's Giant Slalom at Santa Caterina) and there really was a massive snowstorm for both runs.

Over 1m of snow has fallen over a number of resorts, more especially in Italy. (with freezing levels ranging from 1500m to 2000m)

image.thumb.png.6f31e357dfca3d89704f7dce997dc0f0.png

Hopefully much of this snow will form a base for when the pistes do reopen at various times over the Alps.

Edited by J10
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Understandably slow on the thread this season, but a few things to chat about. First of all, Planet Ski doing a great job of covering the stories:

• Criminals Exploit Pandemic To Con Skiers
  • Skiing in Scotland – Ski Areas Prepare To Open This Weekend
  • French Ski Resorts Take Government to Court Over Ski Lift Closures
  • GB Snowsport Athletes In Action
  • Demand Grows To Ski In England

Check them all out here: https://planetski.eu/category/news/

And then to really upset many of us, it's looking like the Alps could get loads of snow over the Christmas/New Year period, which is doubly upsetting for me as I've had to cancel a planned holiday to Seefeld, Austria, this Christmas with the extended family, including my 2 year old grandson. Just look at these charts from this evening. Superb northerly blasts that would give lots of snow, with northern resorts such as Seefeld doing particularly well:

25th: 794413576_Alps25Dec13.00500.thumb.png.768b78b57663c921da663aea875b4b29.png 29th: 752768851_Alps29Dec13.00500.thumb.png.292596295fce775e75087d5896cf6760.png

• Like 1

Posted

I am pleased that my favourite watering hole, The Alderhorst in Zauchensee will be open for business for the start of the new ski-ing season on 24th December. Some of the other restaurants will be offering take away service as ( not sure how that will work ) but worth a try. The piste snow control have everything ready to go with good conditions expected over the holiday period. Very sad to see all the hotels closed with only a few visitors likely to venture up the mountain. I suppose great value for the locals with plenty of competition to entice them on to the slopes, although Apre , a great end of day  tradition in these parts will be almost none existent . All very strange but its a start. Hopefully, international visitors can come later in the season and support the hotels .

C

24955573_136761147039336_989738239149413031_o.jpg

Edited by carinthian

Posted
13 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Understandably slow on the thread this season, but a few things to chat about. First of all, Planet Ski doing a great job of covering the stories:

• Criminals Exploit Pandemic To Con Skiers
  • Skiing in Scotland – Ski Areas Prepare To Open This Weekend
  • French Ski Resorts Take Government to Court Over Ski Lift Closures
  • GB Snowsport Athletes In Action
  • Demand Grows To Ski In England

Check them all out here: https://planetski.eu/category/news/

And then to really upset many of us, it's looking like the Alps could get loads of snow over the Christmas/New Year period, which is doubly upsetting for me as I've had to cancel a planned holiday to Seefeld, Austria, this Christmas with the extended family, including my 2 year old grandson. Just look at these charts from this evening. Superb northerly blasts that would give lots of snow, with northern resorts such as Seefeld doing particularly well:

25th: 794413576_Alps25Dec13.00500.thumb.png.768b78b57663c921da663aea875b4b29.png 29th: 752768851_Alps29Dec13.00500.thumb.png.292596295fce775e75087d5896cf6760.png

You could go to Wengen BW, take a look at the piccs/videos I have posted. I've cancelled but 'my' hotel opened 19th?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

First weekend of the ski-ing season and the snow duly arrived on Christmas Day. This picture taken yesterday afternoon above Zauchensee  .

132968863_3689828244416122_3603546014773032349_o.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

First weekend of the ski-ing season and the snow duly arrived on Christmas Day. This picture taken yesterday afternoon above Zauchensee  .

132968863_3689828244416122_3603546014773032349_o.jpg

Looks amazing-just a shame that no one can really take advantage of such glorious conditions.Out of interest what are the rules re Covid for the locals? Is cross country skiing allowed or like in UK is it a very strict lockdown?

Posted
1 hour ago, Hotspur62 said:

Looks amazing-just a shame that no one can really take advantage of such glorious conditions.Out of interest what are the rules re Covid for the locals? Is cross country skiing allowed or like in UK is it a very strict lockdown?

Hello there, very strict with masks to be worn on the lifts and in public places. Limited take away drinks and food offerings. No bars open and hotels will stay closed until 6 th January. Its not a cross country resort , so not sure on the rules but possibly safer than sharing the lifts. Windows ful lopen on the gondala ! All very strange.

C

Posted

Nice out for a birthday run.

C

133711078_10158970762744938_6356846049882026154_o.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

All this lovely snow and no-one can go and enjoy it.

image.thumb.png.f00991232ca639e68a61c06d2ab8dec7.png

Next winter is going to be so busy...

Posted

Fantastic morning, sunshine and snow flurries. Runs groomed to perfection. Just sad to have lack of visitors.

C

135830498_3715860868479526_3676607905038312641_o.jpg

• Like 5