Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worldwide Mountain & Snow Sports Discussion 2022/23

J10

Moving into November and it is time to open another thread to discuss the upcoming Winter Sports Season in the Northern Hemisphere.

A reminder that there a wealth of Skiing related content across Net Weather.

Net Weather Ski Centre -> https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/travel/ski

Forecasts - This will contain forecasts for this coming season starting in December to coincide with the majority of resorts opening (hopefully).

Resort Weather Forecasts - Resort Weather forecasts based on GFS, updated 4 times a day, together with current conditions. 
https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/travel/ski/S517~Zermatt

Destination Guides - We have a number of destination guides, and we are aiming to extend this over the coming season, so if you would like to contribute or would like your resort featured, please let us know.

Scotland Section - There is also a section dedicated to the conditions over Scotland.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/travel/scotland-ski

Edited by J10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As we move into Mid November, still looking pretty mild of much of mainland Europe with a mild Tropical Maratime airmass.
However perhaps colder from Mid week for a time.

850Hpa Chart from wetterzentrale.de

image.thumb.png.a41e873e630ec30f6630730e64ebd31a.pngimage.thumb.png.9e911cf51543049a761e7830145d323d.pngimage.thumb.png.39846516c028ded03855dd23ef2405ba.png

Not that much snow expected over the Alps for the next 6 days. However some moderate snowfalls expected in Western Scandinavia (25-50cm) Wednesday and especially Thursday).

image.thumb.png.721e807976cdc285a69097ac771abb89.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

This picture of my local was taken last February. Last season was very good in these parts. Now like everyone else in Europe, patiently waiting for the snow and cold to return. Apre will be different this season, 6 to a table just like shown at the Alpenhof with table service only. None of usual raucous parties in the umbrella after ski bars. Its going to be strange. Hopefully, a one off but  resumption of the ski-ing season will be most welcome. Hope we get the visitors !

C

87414114_3024332440918588_2055480474947551232_o.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

This picture of my local was taken last February. Last season was very good in these parts. Now like everyone else in Europe, patiently waiting for the snow and cold to return. Apre will be different this season, 6 to a table just like shown at the Alpenhof with table service only. None of usual raucous parties in the umbrella after ski bars. Its going to be strange. Hopefully, a one off but  resumption of the ski-ing season will be most welcome. Hope we get the visitors !

C

87414114_3024332440918588_2055480474947551232_o.jpg

Still hoping to make our now regular visit to Salburgerland this winter.❄️ I’m sure the cold and snow will come.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, DavidS said:

Still hoping to make our now regular visit to Salburgerland this winter.❄️ I’m sure the cold and snow will come.

Hi, Where do you normally go to ?

C

Posted

Always Obertauern. Due to the altitude the snow is always good. Even in the very warm week in February 2019, when much of the Alps were turning to slush, the snow stayed in pretty good condition. Although I think it’s location in the Eastern Alps, also helped on that occasion.

03FF5D83-794B-4829-BD98-C1B1EFAA085D.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Snow blowers out in force this morning. Temps went down to -5c after last nights earlier snowfall cleared away. Stunning day today with snow making out in force on the ski slopes and village centre.

C

126269842_3517580254986568_3683950695577059081_n.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Lovely Sunday morning. One man on a mission.

C

127000426_3599682996763981_7127635191460851962_o.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Remember these care free times ? No social distancing then or helmets ! Anyone like to guess the year ? I have the answer !

C

127021877_3606292642769683_5124254906001503145_o.jpg

127268787_3606292556103025_2983981686084422841_o.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Remember these care free times ? No social distancing then or helmets ! Anyone like to guess the year ? I have the answer !

C

I’d say 1983?!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

To be expected, but nonetheless very disappointing news from France and Italy. Extracts:

Ski Resorts in France Set To Remain Closed in December

Ski resorts are currently closed and a decision on whether they will re-open and in what form was scheduled to be made in the middle of next week. President Macron seems to have pre-empted that decision with resorts almost certainly remaining closed over Xmas and New Year due to the national restrictions.

The Haute-Savoie département in the French Alps on Monday had the highest number of virus infections per 100,000 people in the entire country, followed by neighbouring Savoie. Health authorities have warned that hospitals could be overrun if crowds of skiers from France and abroad were allowed to travel to those areas.

Full story PlanetSki: https://planetski.eu/2020/11/24/will-ski-resorts-in-france-open/

Italians Urged Not To Go Skiing

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has said Italy “can’t afford” the risk of further infections from people taking ski holidays. He is urging Europe-wide rules. Ski resorts are seen as super-spreaders of the virus back in March.

Full story PlanetSki: https://planetski.eu/2020/11/24/italians-urged-not-to-go-skiing/

Posted

Looks like Germany is with France and Italy in calling for ski resorts to stay shut until at least 10th January, but Austria and Switzerland not agreeing. Extracts:

Talks Continue for a Coordinated Opening of Ski Slopes in the Alps

Austria has indicated it will not support the move led by Germany to stop resorts opening in December and postpone any openings to January. Switzerland will likely keep its resorts open. Pressure is mounting and it is getting highly political.

On the one side is France, Italy and Germany. These nations want the ski lifts to remain shut and are backing a plan not to allow them to open until January 10th as Covid-19 continues to spread. The Chancellor, Angela Merkel, told the German parliament that efforts were being made to reach a Europe-wide decision.

Covid-19 is surging in Austria with 450 cases per 100,000 people over a 7-day period. It is one of the highest rates in Europe. In France it is 174 and Germany 154. Switzerland stands at 439 and Italy 360.

Full story PlanetSki: https://planetski.eu/2020/11/27/talks-continue-for-a-coordinated-opening-of-ski-slopes-in-the-alps/

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Looks like Germany is with France and Italy in calling for ski resorts to stay shut until at least 10th January, but Austria and Switzerland not agreeing. Extracts:

Talks Continue for a Coordinated Opening of Ski Slopes in the Alps

Austria has indicated it will not support the move led by Germany to stop resorts opening in December and postpone any openings to January. Switzerland will likely keep its resorts open. Pressure is mounting and it is getting highly political.

On the one side is France, Italy and Germany. These nations want the ski lifts to remain shut and are backing a plan not to allow them to open until January 10th as Covid-19 continues to spread. The Chancellor, Angela Merkel, told the German parliament that efforts were being made to reach a Europe-wide decision.

Covid-19 is surging in Austria with 450 cases per 100,000 people over a 7-day period. It is one of the highest rates in Europe. In France it is 174 and Germany 154. Switzerland stands at 439 and Italy 360.

Full story PlanetSki: https://planetski.eu/2020/11/27/talks-continue-for-a-coordinated-opening-of-ski-slopes-in-the-alps/

Thanks for that BW, I've pretty much given up on being able, or indeed feeling safe, to go on my annual visit to Wengen 18-25 January. Whether Easyjet will still fly to Geneva will impact on my pocket!

Posted
On 25/11/2020 at 06:41, carinthian said:

C

Ooo this is a good one - The cars make me want to say late 60’s but the clothes maybe early 70’s. Probably miles off but I’ll settle on the middle - 1970? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.

C

This goes back along way. I can remember skiing in St. Anton probably 1980 and so this goes back a long time. I'll say 1964. Nice little game Carinth on this cold foggy day. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Thanks for that BW, I've pretty much given up on being able, or indeed feeling safe, to go on my annual visit to Wengen 18-25 January. Whether Easyjet will still fly to Geneva will impact on my pocket!

Great shame if you miss your annual pilgrimage John.
Funny enough I'm having a zoom with my ski mates this evening to discuss our options. We currently have an apartment in the French Alps booked for a week from 6th March, but with the vaccine requiring two jabs, one month apart and then a month after the second for full protection, we need to have received the 1st jab by early January. So we're looking at the possibility of switching to an Easter trip w/c 3rd April when in theory we should all be done and protected. 

Posted

C

Aye, goes back a few years. I am well informed these were taken in 1969. Way before my first introduction to ski-ing, My first ski-ing holiday was 1976 to a little resort called Alpach where I met my future wife. She taught me to ski. I do remember my first ski's ( Fischer brand ) were about 7 feet long ! and a bit of a struggle. No carvers in those days.

C

• Like 1

Posted

That sounds a sensible view of getting some skiing in. Ah, those were the days, but I can look at my old photos etc and get fond memories of those years. My flight is already one from this July changed to January so I am hoping that I can re extend it to July/August. But no matter the money went out of account over a year ago so would not be missed. Rather that than not go at all this year. This January would be my 32 nd consecutive year, what an old stick in the mud. My only area of skiing in Switzerland but had been to several areas in Austria before that and of course the dreaded often waste of time at Cairngorm!

hope you meet up goes well and even more so your skiing actually does happen.

I wonder what the fate may be of all the ski races, Wengen seems to still expect the Lauberhorn to be held but with no spectators. Apart from any skiers already on holiday it is relatively easy to stop folk, simply check the trains out of Interlaken or stop the trains altogether for a few hours! A huge loss of revenue though.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Aye, goes back a few years. I am well informed these were taken in 1969. Way before my first introduction to ski-ing, My first ski-ing holiday was 1976 to a little resort called Alpach where I met my future wife. She taught me to ski. I do remember my first ski's ( Fischer brand ) were about 7 feet long ! and a bit of a struggle. No carvers in those days.

C

I remember it well, I did visit Alpbach, probably about 3-4 years before then. No parallel turns, not even what were called stem Christie turns I think, snow ploughs!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, johnholmes said:

I remember it well, I did visit Alpbach, probably about 3-4 years before then. No parallel turns, not even what were called stem Christie turns I think, snow ploughs!

re the skis

In Wengen a retired Major still skied on those type until he sadly died, about 6 years ago, and it was not easy to keep up with him, he would be in his mid eighties when still skiing!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

No carvers in those days.

Carvers, what are they...he he! Also, never skied in a helmet unless racing.

I started like this as soon as could walk...leather boots, leather straps on skistick baskets,   Cairngorm

20201127_153701.jpg

Got a bit older and better, Flaine

20201127_153923.jpg

Got very good but blummin posey, spent the week skiing in jeans!! Cervinia

20201127_154142.jpg

I will let you all guess the years..

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 4

Posted

Anyhow, watch and weep.....Montana , Big Sky

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Anyhow, watch and weep.....Montana , Big Sky

My son who lives in Vancouver goes there once a year and he raves about Big Ski, he and his young kids are all boarders.

C

Posted
4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Carvers, what are they...he he! Also, never skied in a helmet unless racing.

I started like this as soon as could walk...leather boots, leather straps on skistick baskets,   Cairngorm

20201127_153701.jpg

Got a bit older and better, Flaine

20201127_153923.jpg

Got very good but blummin posey, spent the week skiing in jeans!! Cervinia

20201127_154142.jpg

I will let you all guess the years..

Not sure , possibly late 90s. Even to this day , my wife and I ski without helmets. I know its against the grain but I do like the freedom and to be aware whats coming behind me !