Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Memorable Halloween & Bonfire Night Weather

Summer18

Posted

Taking my mind off Covid for a bit, what are people’s most memorable Halloween’s/Bonfire Nights weather wise?

Halloween 2014 sticks in the mind most for me, I remember working outside in the sun and it felt like August. 2008 I remember for how cold it was.

Bonfire night I can’t remember that many memorable ones, I remember 2012 being quite cold and clear because all the smoke stuck around in air all night and until the next morning.

I’m sure they are many more memorable ones. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I vaguely remember being at a bonfire either 84-85 and it was raining and cold. Tuned to sleety snow and the hills were white the following morning in Sheffield. Can't remember another really since

Posted

Memories of both have become very hazy. Seem to remember at least one very frosty one bonfire night in the mid 80s, must have been 1985.

Most events have been wet or damp affairs more often than dry.

Halloween 88 I think was a cold frosty one.

Bonfire Night 06 was cold and frosty.

Cant remember any from 90s probably because didn't celebrate them.

Bonfire Night 10 was quite chilly. 14 very mild.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

The colder ones are my favourite memories of Halloween.  

From just memory 

Halloween 81 was quite chilly if I recall and that was a cool oct overall. I was 8 at the time.

Halloween 85 I think was a cold one with frost.

Halloween 86 rained most of the day but cleared in the evening to leave a chilly night.

Halloween 88 was a cold frosty one with an area of hp.

Halloween 90 was chilly 

Halloween 95 was fairly cold and frosty.

Halloween 2000, rain during the afternoon if I recall ,clearing to some wintry showers that evening which in turn cleared and led to frost.

Halloween 2005 and 06 were chilly with some frost.

Halloween 2008 was cold with frost.

Halloween 2012 was cold with frost

Halloween 2018 the last chilly one.

Edit adding charts to some of those yrs

NOAA_1_1985103118_1.png

NOAA_1_1988103118_1.png

NOAA_1_1990103118_1.png

NOAA_1_1995103118_1.png

NOAA_1_2000103118_1.png

NOAA_1_2012103118_1.png

Edited by sundog

Posted
6 hours ago, swfc said:

I vaguely remember being at a bonfire either 84-85 and it was raining and cold. Tuned to sleety snow and the hills were white the following morning in Sheffield. Can't remember another really since

Sounds like 1985, remember the forecast for wintry showers. Certainly remember the chilly winds and shower clouds that evening 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Did most of my bonfire building growing up in the very late 60’s and throughout the 70’s and seem to remember a few times when there was snow around that time but can’t be sure on the years.

that said, up here snow used to be a lot more of a part of winters then than it seems to be now and it often started around this time of year.

Posted

I can also remember Halloween 2005 starting dry but it absolutely pelted it down later on because it was the last time I ever went trick or treating!

Bonfire Night 2016 I remember being cold, we actually had a covering of snow a few days later on the 9th. I remember November 2016 being quite cold throughout.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Remember Bonfire Night 1981 very clearly as being cold but dry. The organised Bonfire got out of hand at the local school and Fire brigade had to come! 

Screenshot_20201102-113018_Samsung Internet.jpg

Posted
53 minutes ago, Summer18 said:

I can also remember Halloween 2005 starting dry but it absolutely pelted it down later on because it was the last time I ever went trick or treating!

Bonfire Night 2016 I remember being cold, we actually had a covering of snow a few days later on the 9th. I remember November 2016 being quite cold throughout.

Clear here that Bonfire night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Some interesting switcharounds from mild to cold between the two dates or even cold to mild.

2018: Cold Halloween > mild Bonfire Night

archives-2018-10-31-0-1.png archives-2018-11-5-12-1.png

2016: Warm and sunny Halloween > cold and frosty Bonfire Night

archives-2016-10-31-12-1.png archives-2016-11-5-12-1.png

2014: Notably warm Halloween > first frost of the season on Bonfire Night

archives-2014-10-31-12-1.png archives-2014-11-5-12-1.png

2006: Transition over Halloween from mild > much colder and frosty Bonfire Night (inversion style)

archives-2006-10-31-12-1.png archives-2006-11-5-12-1.png

Halloween 2008 was also notably chilly. Doesn't quite qualify for a turnaround to mild as Bonfire Night, although milder, was still on the cool side... Likewise, Bonfire Night 2010 was notably mild, but Halloween had also been mild that year. Both Halloween and Bonfire Night were very mild in 2015 also.

Other occurrences I can remember by the day the firework display was on rather than Bonfire Night itself. The last display I actually attended was 2014. On Friday 07th there was lightning shortly after the display and it was windy and showery. Saturday 05th November 2011 was cool feeling after very mild weather just before. Saturday 08th November 2008 was stormy and a complete washout. Saturday 06th November 2004 was wet. Saturday 08th November 2003 was cool but dry. I vaguely remember a chilly Bonfire Night in 1999. Before that my memory is hazy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Bonfire night 1980 was very cold with some snow around on a cold easterly wind