Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Loss of data on Davis Vantage Vue

Posted
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

Was just thinking maybe try wiping the history on the console to see if that helps but remove the logger first from the console wipe the data and then reconnect it and see if it starts working i'll admit the problem is difficult to solve but i'm just thinking off anything that might help!

Posted
4 minutes ago, TomW said:

Was just thinking maybe try wiping the history on the console to see if that helps but remove the logger first from the console wipe the data and then reconnect it and see if it starts working i'll admit the problem is difficult to solve but i'm just thinking off anything that might help!

Thanks for that To, I'll probably give it a go sometime this evening after I have had my dinner.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

You should be able to unzip using windows 10 inbuilt program. So double click it and copy the file out by right click and copy and then paste it to any location and then run it.

The software is freeware so no need to pay.

Clearing the console is fairly pointless at this time as the com port seems to be the trouble since it failed the loopback test.

Posted
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

You should be able to unzip using windows 10 inbuilt program. So double click it and copy the file out by right click and copy and then paste it to any location and then run it.

Clearing the console is fairly pointless at this time as the com port seems to be the trouble since it failed the loopback test.

I'm just going through all the options to try and get it to work iv'e got the usb version and had a problem before where it wouldn't detect it and I cleared the console and reconnected the logger did the setup again to make sure it knows the logger is connected and then it started working.

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

this is the link to the web page you gave me

WWW.WINZIPDRIVERUPDATER.COM

Posted
3 hours ago, TomW said:

I'm just going through all the options to try and get it to work iv'e got the usb version and had a problem before where it wouldn't detect it and I cleared the console and reconnected the logger did the setup again to make sure it knows the logger is connected and then it started working.

I tried no power Tom, no luck, did the console check through but not deleted all data. At the moment the data logger wired in is the one Pit sent, along with the cable and link to the ser port? Tomorrow morning, if I get chance, various things happening in the morning, I'll swop all Pits stuff back to mine and have another go with various things. I am lost with what Pit wants I must admit. Bit unsure about leaving that link above but perhaps Pit will see it and comment?

Got to leave Net Wx now for this evening.

Thanks Tom and Pit today for again trying to help.

Posted

No idea what you've been clicking on there John or how you got there. Both links just take to a download at my end.

Posted

Just messaged you.

Posted
On 18/11/2020 at 17:52, TomW said:

Hi Tom the problem was it was failing to do loop test with just Davis loop back. So that indicates an issue with the com port. Windows thinks it's working according to the device manager. Doesn't mean it is though. Anyway some older motherboards have the serial port built in to the back panel Looking at Johns picture suggests that isn't the case and it's simply on a bracket to the motherboard. However I need to know what motherboard it is so i can check that. So it could simply be a case of cable slipped off the motherboard and just needs plugging in.  Pity windows 10 dumped hyper terminal as that would have been another simple test to do.

If it talked to com port via the Davies loop back then yup resetting the console would be next.

Pity John hasn't got an old serial mouse around as plugging that in would confirm fully that the port was fubared or not.

• Like 1

Posted

Any update on this John? beginning to think that your PC fixer friend might be the best option to see whats gone wrong with the station.

Edited by MAF

Posted

Hi Mick, I've disconnected the Weatherlink and am just relying on the console for temperatures and rainfall. Not sure when I can ask him to have a look at my pc tower. We are going from National lock down to Tier 3 so he will not be able to work again. cela vie as they say.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 28/11/2020 at 09:28, johnholmes said:

Hi Mick, I've disconnected the Weatherlink and am just relying on the console for temperatures and rainfall. Not sure when I can ask him to have a look at my pc tower. We are going from National lock down to Tier 3 so he will not be able to work again. cela vie as they say.

Hi John,

I have just had a very similar problem with a Vantage Vue and WeatherlinkIP that has worked for years. Suddenly it stopped uploading and when I reset it, it went into a strange mode of resetting the clock on the console to about 45 minutes earlier than the real time and not advancing it. When I went into the admin page of the WeatherlinkIP and turned off "upload to weatherlink.com" it worked perfectly (I could still download to Weatherlink 6.05).

After much experimentation and discussion with Davis Support they eventually got an engineer to look at the problem on their side. My problems started when they had a server crash. Although I had reset the WeatherlinkIP on numerous occasions the following worked for me:

1. Open the WeatherLink computer software and go to the setup menu. Select Set time and date. Make sure time and date in the entry box is correct and click Set. The software will ask if you want to clear archive memory, answer Yes to that. This will clear out the datalogger.

2. Unplug the console and take the batteries out. Make sure the WeatherlinkIP is properly seated. Plug back in and replace the batteries. Go through the setup procedure and make sure the time is set correctly. If you have disabled the upload to weatherlink.com on the WeatherlinkIP, re-enable it. Wait a while to see if uploads restart.

You will lose some data unless you've managed to store it in the Weatherlink 6.0.5 software. This worked for me. Other attempts at a reset - including completely wiping the console memory did not work. The problem lay in memory corruption within the WeatherlinkIP device.

Cheers,

Mark

Posted
7 hours ago, TheGrittersAreOut said:

Hi John,

I have just had a very similar problem with a Vantage Vue and WeatherlinkIP that has worked for years. Suddenly it stopped uploading and when I reset it, it went into a strange mode of resetting the clock on the console to about 45 minutes earlier than the real time and not advancing it. When I went into the admin page of the WeatherlinkIP and turned off "upload to weatherlink.com" it worked perfectly (I could still download to Weatherlink 6.05).

After much experimentation and discussion with Davis Support they eventually got an engineer to look at the problem on their side. My problems started when they had a server crash. Although I had reset the WeatherlinkIP on numerous occasions the following worked for me:

1. Open the WeatherLink computer software and go to the setup menu. Select Set time and date. Make sure time and date in the entry box is correct and click Set. The software will ask if you want to clear archive memory, answer Yes to that. This will clear out the datalogger.

2. Unplug the console and take the batteries out. Make sure the WeatherlinkIP is properly seated. Plug back in and replace the batteries. Go through the setup procedure and make sure the time is set correctly. If you have disabled the upload to weatherlink.com on the WeatherlinkIP, re-enable it. Wait a while to see if uploads restart.

You will lose some data unless you've managed to store it in the Weatherlink 6.0.5 software. This worked for me. Other attempts at a reset - including completely wiping the console memory did not work. The problem lay in memory corruption within the WeatherlinkIP device.

Cheers,

Mark

Morning Mark

Wow, Thank you for taking the time to contact me. I will go through your list later today and try it. Some of the points you make I have done but well worth a try. Thank you.

Posted

Hi Mark and everyone else who spent time trying to help me.

It turns out it was Windows 10 that caused the issue, thanks to Mark for giving my the guidance. It has altered the PORT 1 to PORT 3!!

So I now have the link restored.

Sorry to hear you are now having issues Mark, I hope you can sort it, sorry I'm no help.

Posted
On 19/12/2020 at 09:36, johnholmes said:

Hi Mark and everyone else who spent time trying to help me.

It turns out it was Windows 10 that caused the issue, thanks to Mark for giving my the guidance. It has altered the PORT 1 to PORT 3!!

So I now have the link restored.

Sorry to hear you are now having issues Mark, I hope you can sort it, sorry I'm no help.

Interesting when I looked it said com 1 and if that was the wrong number it would normally have had a yellow explanation mark against it as well.

Posted

@johnholmes so glad it is resolved. but a bit perplexing, as @The PIT says. i would have thought there would be an error triangle on the port.  just shows that no matter how much a problem is looked at, it helps to be hands on to try and problem solve these things. 

anyway, i am very pleased that you now have the full functionality of the system and hope it gives you some less stress now  

Mick

Posted
6 minutes ago, MAF said:

@johnholmes so glad it is resolved. but a bit perplexing, as @The PIT says. i would have thought there would be an error triangle on the port.  just shows that no matter how much a problem is looked at, it helps to be hands on to try and problem solve these things. 

anyway, i am very pleased that you now have the full functionality of the system and hope it gives you some less stress now  

Mick

Thanks Mick and for your help

Posted

I also checked for hidden devices so if the ports had been duplicated the com 3 should show there as well. I did toy with the idea of changing it just too see perhaps I should have.

Whoever says computers are logical needs shooting.