Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Loss of data on Davis Vantage Vue

Posted

john, another thought. can you do an advanced search on your hard drive for all files generated from the start date you lost data. just to see if there is place where the downloads are going to instead of the place they are meant to go to.

Posted
1 hour ago, TomW said:

How odd I must say, did you try it on a different PC/Laptop because I don't know what else to suggest to check if its the logger or the PC?

No I can't do that tom as have only the 1 pc and a bobile phone no IPad anymore, so means I am stuck with trying that suggestion, but thank you.

Posted
1 hour ago, MAF said:

john, another thought. can you do an advanced search on your hard drive for all files generated from the start date you lost data. just to see if there is place where the downloads are going to instead of the place they are meant to go to.

Nothing I can see Mike, found a lot of weatherlink 54 my first weather station and a file about the amazing 2010 30 nov-1 dec snowfall!, not what I would have liked though so no go I'm afraid

Posted

Off to do something positive, in the garden to trim down some of the perennials that seem not to attract the birds!

A shame no one in this immediate area that I could ask that does weather reports to see if they have a spare pc-never mind, I do have the data on the console and the summary on my pc. I make a weather diary each day with max/min, rainfall and a Met Office style daily weather report so I'll just have to make do with that. Thanks to all of you on here that have racked your brains to give me helpful suggestions.

You never know Davis may respond after the comment from Weather Shop!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

John I would disconnect the console and set it back up making sure the time and date is correct.

Next look on C drive under weatherlink\yourstation for any wlk files with the wrong date and move them elsewhere if you wish to try and get the data out of them.

Reconnect your station and see if it works.

Posted

One last check you're hard drive isn't full by any chance?

Posted

Just had a reply fom Davis (!), rare indeed for me

They suggest this

problem is how; the 'yellow' box opens up every report for years!

Also how do I alter the date?

I'm probably looking at the wrong thing.

Can someone please explain?

thanks

Bruce Johnson (Davis Instruments)

Nov 3, 2020, 11:01 AM PST

This sounds like data corruption
Please, in the WeatherLink software, open up the “Browser” button (looks like a yellow writing pad). Then highlight each record with a date that is in the future (can only do 1 at a time). Press the “DEL” button on your keyboard.

Once all are deleted, then restart and try to re-download.
It should work.
If you see that it puts weird dates in again, then the logger has corrupt data and must be cleared. To clear it, go to Setup and Set Archive Interval, then answer YES when it warns about clearing the logger. Then you can put it back to whatever interval you want.
If you still have problems, then Go into your c:\weatherlink\<yourstationname>
And delete the following files:
DataLists.dat
DataSets.dat
Also, delete any *.wlk files that have a year that would be in the future.

Also, reseat all of the cables. Before re-seating the data logger, please make sure to power down the console FULLY!

Restart WeatherLink and test.

If you are still having issues, we may need to rename the last month that that ends with WLK. Or clear the logger. To clear the logger, go to SETUP in the software, then select Archive Interval. Select OK and it will prompt to clear the logger. Say YES. Do note, these are both destructive to the data so I want to do these as the last ditch effort.

Posted
4 hours ago, The PIT said:

John I would disconnect the console and set it back up making sure the time and date is correct.

Next look on C drive under weatherlink\yourstation for any wlk files with the wrong date and move them elsewhere if you wish to try and get the data out of them.

Reconnect your station and see if it works.

tried this and could not see any faurlt files, also time date etc on console are correct and within 1 minute of what the set up shows on the weatherlink?

COR all are showing exactly same time and date

4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

One last check you're hard drive isn't full by any chance?

nope

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Open this pc then look at C drive it should say so much free of xxxgb

Posted

by no means meaning to be rude, but have you understood all the instructions from Davis. other than sitting at your pc and going through them i am becoming to be at a loss. As i said, and Pit too, the data files seem corrupt and are corrupting the logger. one final thought. have you run an antivirus scan lately. or a malware one? is your antivirus software putting a block on the data? 

Posted

I am really out of my depth with the Davis thing; what I'm about to say may sound daft to some folk but I really am a pc numpty.

So this

the first para of the Davis suuestion. I can see the 'yellow', the 'browser' button. When I open it all the data from the year dot is there along with every 30 mins throughout October until 0500 on the 27th. I'm then told to change the date, on mine, assuming I am in the correct place, I cannot change anything?

Posted
3 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

I am really out of my depth with the Davis thing; what I'm about to say may sound daft to some folk but I really am a pc numpty.

So this

the first para of the Davis suuestion. I can see the 'yellow', the 'browser' button. When I open it all the data from the year dot is there along with every 30 mins throughout October until 0500 on the 27th. I'm then told to change the date, on mine, assuming I am in the correct place, I cannot change anything?

how do I change the date, I can delete any of them but seem unable to do what he says, change the date to one in the future?

Posted
24 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

how do I change the date, I can delete any of them but seem unable to do what he says, change the date to one in the future?

good-night folks, I do appreciate the help offered, going to bed

Posted

John I can remote in to have a look but will need your phone number and email address. If you want me to do this send a pm. it won't be until this evenign as I'm working right now.

Posted
4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

John I can remote in to have a look but will need your phone number and email address. If you want me to do this send a pm. it won't be until this evenign as I'm working right now.

Thank you for that Pit, much appreciated as I've got pc fatigue flailing around in the dark so to speak.

I'll send you a pm

Posted

Ah well did a remote session and as John said the station is having a proper sulk and no communication at all now. Everything else looks okay so either a datalogger going to the datalogger in the sky or cable issue.

Posted
18 hours ago, The PIT said:

Ah well did a remote session and as John said the station is having a proper sulk and no communication at all now. Everything else looks okay so either a datalogger going to the datalogger in the sky or cable issue.

Pit, thanks for your help with John on this. a cable replacement is going to be a lot cheaper than data logger. but its just another way of eliminating a fault. so let's hope the cheap way resolves it.  

John, at least its getting narrowed down now, and you may have an idea as to the way forward. cheap cable replacement (although i have a doubts it is the cable as they don't normally just fail) or a replacement data logger setup. 

cables are pretty robust and unless physically broken they take a lot of abuse. trodden on; twisted; bent, normally  don't affect it. but i am always willing to be proved wrong. 

• Like 1

Posted

I've got a serial logger in a draw doing nothing.

Posted
3 hours ago, MAF said:

Pit, thanks for your help with John on this. a cable replacement is going to be a lot cheaper than data logger. but its just another way of eliminating a fault. so let's hope the cheap way resolves it.  

John, at least its getting narrowed down now, and you may have an idea as to the way forward. cheap cable replacement (although i have a doubts it is the cable as they don't normally just fail) or a replacement data logger setup. 

cables are pretty robust and unless physically broken they take a lot of abuse. trodden on; twisted; bent, normally  don't affect it. but i am always willing to be proved wrong. 

thanks Mike I now wait for the cable to arrive

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

I've got a serial logger in a draw doing nothing.

If the cable is okay then perhaps we can discuss you posting it to me to try. Obviously I'll pay for it and postage

Posted

Well the cable has ariived. The end for the data logger is fine but the end seems to require a usb connection. I don't have one of those! One cable (power) goes into the 3 pin plug. The other goes into the back of the tower and is a, I think without actually pulling the tower out) has a 9 pin plug.

Any ideas Pit or anyone please?

Posted
9 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Well the cable has ariived. The end for the data logger is fine but the end seems to require a usb connection. I don't have one of those! One cable (power) goes into the 3 pin plug. The other goes into the back of the tower and is a, I think without actually pulling the tower out) has a 9 pin plug.

Any ideas Pit or anyone please?

Would you be able to send a picture of the cable and the logger?

Posted
56 minutes ago, TomW said:

Would you be able to send a picture of the cable and the logger?

probably