Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Loss of data on Davis Vantage Vue

Posted

Potentially a dumb question as I know next to nothing about this kit, but could it be the cable? Maybe test with a spare if you happen to have one. 

Posted

No idea Paul but no have not got a spare cable, still waiting for Weather Shop, thought they might have answered by now.

Wx Link is still passing data 'somewhere, each time I run it and each time the Summary shows up and is a copy of the console at that time. I suspect, no idea why apart from getting fed up, that it will turn out to be something blindingly obious!

Posted

yes, blindingly obvious is usually the answer.  i think its getting to the point where you have to reset everything. uninstall the software from console to pc. give pc a health check -  defrag the hard drive via right click on c drive and got to tools, then do a defrag, reinstall software and carry on from there. this is really sounding like either software or connectivity. its the date that makes me wonder. has anything changed since the last date it worked on your pc? if your console is working 100% then there is no issue with it or the sensors. are all the sensors working? if they are and your console is working then it boils down to console/pc connectivity. that in turn, turns down to software.  is there a date for the licence on the software to run out? i really think its not the weather station, its the connectivity (data transfer and not physical) 

anyone else ???

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

John can you reboot the pc.

With nothing else running start weatherlink

Don't launch anything

Click on setup

Click on Communications port

Check that right com port is elected.

Click on loopback

It should say station found on com 1

If it doesn't click on auto detect I suspect it will find the station with the first test though.

Close the window

Click on set time and date

Check the dates are the same if not tell it to set the time. This will clear the memory so you'll lose some data.

Close the window

Now if all those check out we are then probably looking at a corrupt  wlk file.

If the date is wrong I had my console once reset it self to back to pre config date so it's was saving all the data back into 2000 or whatever the default start is for these devices that would explain why you can't see any new data as it's all in the past.

Let us know what happens.

Posted

thanks for your help on this Pit  

takes me back to when i worked night shift and we supplied info to the storm chasers overnight

Edited by MAF

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

John can you reboot the pc.

With nothing else running start weatherlink

Don't launch anything

Click on setup

Click on Communications port

Check that right com port is elected.

Click on loopback

It should say station found on com 1

If it doesn't click on auto detect I suspect it will find the station with the first test though.

Close the window

Click on set time and date

Check the dates are the same if not tell it to set the time. This will clear the memory so you'll lose some data.

Close the window

Now if all those check out we are then probably looking at a corrupt  wlk file.

If the date is wrong I had my console once reset it self to back to pre config date so it's was saving all the data back into 2000 or whatever the default start is for these devices that would explain why you can't see any new data as it's all in the past.

Let us know what happens.

ok will do Pit and thanks

Posted
2 hours ago, MAF said:

yes, blindingly obvious is usually the answer.  i think its getting to the point where you have to reset everything. uninstall the software from console to pc. give pc a health check -  defrag the hard drive via right click on c drive and got to tools, then do a defrag, reinstall software and carry on from there. this is really sounding like either software or connectivity. its the date that makes me wonder. has anything changed since the last date it worked on your pc? if your console is working 100% then there is no issue with it or the sensors. are all the sensors working? if they are and your console is working then it boils down to console/pc connectivity. that in turn, turns down to software.  is there a date for the licence on the software to run out? i really think its not the weather station, its the connectivity (data transfer and not physical) 

anyone else ???

I'm not aware anything has changed Mike; nothing in my notes between 14 and 28/10 regarding any pc issues, the fault began 0500 27/10

console is permanently on and sensors appear ok

I think it has to be domething to do with the connection between the console and pc/Weather-Link. But some data is going from the console to Waether Link; ie summary page and the data download it shows when I try the weather Link, like just now approx 1 hour since I did one so two lots of data (updates every  30m and again the Summary page in Weather Link exactly fits the console.

Going to work through the post from Pit now.

Posted

okay

did as you asked

ok to loopback=unable find connector

on time got  time on stn=2023

on set stn=2035

unable to alter anything??

Posted

It sounds as if the console is completely fine the issue is either the data logger itself or something corrupted on the software following the steps as PIT said you should be all good, if the problem still exists after i'm wondering if the data loger could be the issue especially if its quite old now?

Posted

Thanks Tom, you may be right as so far nothing I have tried has worked, on the loopback it could not find a connector!

Posted

The unit maybe too old to support loopback

Alternatively you should be able choose the test option.

However I think its found the station otherwise you wouldn't have got the date

At least we know why you can't see the data it's in the year 2023.

?You should be able to set the time though which is worrying.

Posted

Thanks for that Pit, bit occupied at the mo as got a problem with the pc being sorted but this suggests I may be some time relying just on the console

This from Weather Shop

Hello John,

I am afraid I do not have an Engineer available so I will need to send this to Davis.. It will be a few days before we have a reply.

Regards,

Jacquie

Posted

Just been in to weatherlink and set up after seeing it downloaded 7 items. Be nice if it would tell me where these items are going!

When then went into set up for time no matter what I try it will not alter things so they both say the same time, whether I agree to clear archive or not?

Posted

again in set up, still unable to find a connector on loopback but it finds COM1 when asked to do test?

Posted

I've just discovered the loopback connector wire

Disconnect the logger cable from the DB9 or DB25 adapter connected to the COM port.

Insert the Loopback connector into the DB9 or DB25 adapter.

Choose Communications Port from the Setup menu. The Communications Port dialog box displays:

But have no idea what DB9 or DB 25 is

Any comments that you feel might help Pit, or anyone please?

Posted

DB9 = 9 pin plug D type shape

DB25 = 25 pin plug D type shape

loopback is as old as the dinosaurs so diagnostics can be done with a loopback plugged in. its how to send data down and let the port turn it around so it sees the data passing through and satisfies itself the port is working. loopback will only verify the port is working, not the software. are you familiar with the concept of 'Bit Error Rate Test? BERT? its a way we used to test circuits in the datacomms set ups we had. but its probably a massive overkill for determining your issue. Again, this is becoming to sound like a software issue and if you say that the time is synchronised on pc/data logger then it reinforces my thoughts. hopefully 'Jacquie' will come up with some more info for you.

Posted
1 hour ago, MAF said:

DB9 = 9 pin plug D type shape

DB25 = 25 pin plug D type shape

loopback is as old as the dinosaurs so diagnostics can be done with a loopback plugged in. its how to send data down and let the port turn it around so it sees the data passing through and satisfies itself the port is working. loopback will only verify the port is working, not the software. are you familiar with the concept of 'Bit Error Rate Test? BERT? its a way we used to test circuits in the datacomms set ups we had. but its probably a massive overkill for determining your issue. Again, this is becoming to sound like a software issue and if you say that the time is synchronised on pc/data logger then it reinforces my thoughts. hopefully 'Jacquie' will come up with some more info for you.

Much of what you said beyond explaining what the plug types are is advanced Greek to me!

I have had another forum member  e mail me telling me their experience with Weather Shop=not good, given the same response as myself and never came back. Suggests Pro Dat are a better bet! So I may e mail them, explain my problem, of course explaining I did not buy any of the gear from them to see if they can help.

When you say software issue do you mean the data logger may be at fault?

Thanks for your support, it is much appreciated.

Posted

Okay John it's seeing the station on com1.

So the next step is getting the time and date synced which you should be able to do via weatherlink software.

What does the time say on the console ?

Posted

john, i did think i may be talking i might be talking in an alien language in my previous post. i am at a loss with this as i need to be hands on with these sort of things. So I bow to Pits and anyone else's knowledge on the weather station side of things. my knowledge and experience is more a case of diagnosing an issue regardless of the hardware. however, i need to see the complete setup to work things out. i have a brain where if its in a line diagram i can work things out easy. but trying to write things in an explanatory way is difficult if who i am trying to explain them tho doesn't know what i am trying to say. I am still happy to offer as much advice as i can, but its getting to the stage where a subject expert on your weather station is probably the best way ahead.

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Okay John it's seeing the station on com1.

So the next step is getting the time and date synced which you should be able to do via weatherlink software.

What does the time say on the console ?

1954 on the console and using set up BOTH now say same time=1955 but it will not accept says it is not recognised says it should say 3pm or 1500

gawd knows what it means.

be away for a while now but will come back when I can

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Probably a silly question John, but is the latitude and longitude / Time zone correct on the console?

Also, check to make sure the BAUD rate is correct. It should be 19200.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Probably a silly question John, but is the latitude and longitude / Time zone correct on the console?

Also, check to make sure the BAUD rate is correct. It should be 19200.

Yes all those seem correct M

Posted

No change this morning, clicking on window then summary and it 'appears' to download data, nothing arrives where it should but the summary is exactly like the console.

I give up.

Posted
4 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

No change this morning, clicking on window then summary and it 'appears' to download data, nothing arrives where it should but the summary is exactly like the console.

I give up.

How odd I must say, did you try it on a different PC/Laptop because I don't know what else to suggest to check if its the logger or the PC?