Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Loss of data on Davis Vantage Vue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I don't use the WeatherLink myself, but are you able to change COM ports via that software? Like COM2 or 3 to see if it could be that?

Posted

Ive run out of ideas Tom and as the actual data is on the console it just means I have to make sure I get max/min and rainfall from the console and transfer this to my daily-monthly weather diary. For today I think I am going to leave it at that, perhaps wait to see if Weather shop on Monay respond with any new suggestions.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I don't use the WeatherLink myself, but are you able to change COM ports via that software? Like COM2 or 3 to see if it could be that?

I have tried to get itto 'look' wuth PORT 2 and 3 but not had any success, of course it could be me not doing it right!

Posted
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Ive run out of ideas Tom and as the actual data is on the console it just means I have to make sure I get max/min and rainfall from the console and transfer this to my daily-monthly weather diary. For today I think I am going to leave it at that, perhaps wait to see if Weather shop on Monay respond with any new suggestions.

Have you tried to create a new station on the weatherlink software to see if that starts working, as in starting from scratch as to when you first try to link up the console with the software?

Posted

Or you could even try deleteing the software and reinstalling it to see if that helps solve the issue although you would lose your past data if you went down that route?

Posted

so, back to basics. you lost data from a certain date. has anything changed from that date onwards? 

you've checked connectivity and the console works showing the sensors readings. is it all the sensors showing data? 

does the software have an expiry date? is it worth reinstalling the software?

agree! windows 10 is rubbish   

but narrow this down, and its connectivity from console to PC. so you might need to check the console connectivity with something else. have you got a laptop? anyone you know who might be able to connect the console to one and check if it works? this is all about elimination John as usually a fault like this doesn't normally just happen. there has to have been something that triggered it. my best guess is either connectivity to pc or software. com 1 is default port and if its seeing something connected then it starts to boil down to software. oh, and if you hadn't done the update mentioned above since it was published, yet everything has worked ok without it then i am more convinced this is console to pc connectivity related. only way to prove this is to connect console to another pc/laptop and see if it sees the console. if it does then we boil it down to your pc.

hope what i have said makes sense. hope you get it sorted too!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Old style serial then which should be fairly robust.

Window s 10 so type in device manger in search and then go down to com ports. Expand and it will tell you the port number. A yellow explication mark indicates an error.

Weatherlink doesn't let you change ports just allows you tend which port it is on. Window s 10 is fine never had an issue with it.

If the device manager doesn't show an error it suggests an issue with the data logger itself either cable or possible needs reseating although I think you've done that.

Next step check the device manager

Posted

Pit, agree with that, W10 is pretty robust. i really think this is down to logger - pc issue, quite sure this is connectivity issue. happy to be corrected and told its something else though

Posted

Guess who's got a serial data logger sat doing nothing in his draw.....

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Guess who's got a serial data logger sat doing nothing in his draw.....

well pop across to John and plug it in  

Posted

Hi folks

Sorry not doing anything but been occupied with other things but I do appreciate the time and help offered. Hopefully tomorrow I can try some of the suggestions.

To me, if I use pure logic it does seem that the issue is connectivity but I see all the current weather on the console, so that side is working. But why not the Weather link?

No doubt I will have a disturbed night when I wake thinking of this.

Like I say I will make time tomorrow to have another go with it.

Posted
19 hours ago, The PIT said:

Old style serial then which should be fairly robust.

Window s 10 so type in device manger in search and then go down to com ports. Expand and it will tell you the port number. A yellow explication mark indicates an error.

Weatherlink doesn't let you change ports just allows you tend which port it is on. Window s 10 is fine never had an issue with it.

If the device manager doesn't show an error it suggests an issue with the data logger itself either cable or possible needs reseating although I think you've done that.

Next step check the device manager

Thanks for that Pit, checked what you suggested and it does not show yeallow. Lost count the times I've checked, as it does slip out (data logger) but it is firmly seated.

It was bought in 2014. How likely is it to have simply stopped working and how can I check that before going down the very expensive road of a replacement please?

Posted

What port does it say for the com port?

Posted

Okay can you in device manager click on view then hidden devices and make sure there's no ghost serial ports.If they are delete them.

Do you have weatherlink on hand as that can at least do a loop back test on the com port.

If it doesn't work then you may need one of these

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Free delivery and returns on eligible orders. Buy Valueline 5.00 m RJ11 Male to Female Telecom Extension Cable - Black at Amazon...

Posted
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Okay can you in device manager click on view then hidden devices and make sure there's no ghost serial ports.If they are delete them.

Do you have weatherlink on hand as that can at least do a loop back test on the com port.

If it doesn't work then you may need one of these

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Free delivery and returns on eligible orders. Buy Valueline 5.00 m RJ11 Male to Female Telecom Extension Cable - Black at Amazon...

Did the first part= okay no ghosts

not sure just what you mean by this?

A while ago did another set up, about the 5 th, it 'seemed' to kick start Weatherlink, the anemometer actually twirled around and showed 128 bits of data being transferred. Result zilch. All cables etc again checked and all seem solid.

Out of interest what does 

Valueline 5.00 m RJ11 Male to Femal do and what do I do if I get one please? No rush to reply as I have had enough  all things Davis for today thanks.

Thanks to each of you for the help and suggestions.

Oh one final thing, the summary showing on Weather link is the mirror image of the console, yesterday it was not!!

Posted

RJ11 will replace serial port connection, going back in the day, its how you would have attached your modem to your pc. wow, that takes me back and shows my age  

Posted

Have to say, considering the amount of replies you get when you are discussing the weather, i am amazed no one else has come into this conversation.  

Posted

Well I'll have another play but looks like I need to send off for this TJ11 to see if it helps.

This morning when I tried the Weatherlink it started or seemed to with the anemo spinning abit, then told me I had some packets to download, it did that and gave me the summary screen, which fits with what the console shows. Had a look but not packets have been downloaded then or just now!

Posted

it now tells me it 'tried to open a port in use by another xxxx please close this first, or something similar.

Not had that notice before=so no summary available now.

Posted
59 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

it now tells me it 'tried to open a port in use by another xxxx please close this first, or something similar.

Not had that notice before=so no summary available now.

waiting for a reponse to an e mail to Weather-Shop, hopefully they can help sort it?

Posted
2 hours ago, johnholmes said:

waiting for a reponse to an e mail to Weather-Shop, hopefully they can help sort it?

let's hope so John. Know how much it probably means for you to have the station working. if nothing else, for your own sanity  

Posted

You haven't got weatherlink open twice have you?

Since it's transferring data that to me sounds like the date is wrong on the console.

However nothing is moving on the weatherlink bulletin display?

Posted

Nope just the once, and the date on the console is correct

re the Wx link display, as said before the anemo works for a short time, it seems to be transferring small amounts of data, then, unlike yesterday, it stops and the Summary comes on which is identical to the console data.

Just where any 'packets' of data are going or have gone is a total mystery.

Just for fun I'm going to set the wx link off again, back in a mo

Same, 9 packets this time gone 'somewhere, summary on=identical to console, other data charts, diagrams, etc all still show stopped at 0500 on 27/10

Posted
20 minutes ago, MAF said:

let's hope so John. Know how much it probably means for you to have the station working. if nothing else, for your own sanity  

dead right Mike, I wake up in the night seeing the damn weather station!