Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Loss of data on Davis Vantage Vue

Posted

Can anyone help please?

I've just noticed when I opened it on the Weather Link page that it has stooped sending data from 0500 on the the 27th. The data is coming in to the console that sits at the side of the pc normally. The plugs and cables seem as they should be?

thanks for any help

John 

Posted

John, have you tried a reset? and as funny as this may sound, has the recent clock change had an effect on it? maybe power cycling it off/on may bring it back to normal?

Posted

I can't find any loose connections behind the desk. Just one thing when I click on the download it now sends 181 packets of data, they are done every 30 minutes but it is not updating the information beyond what was showing when I spotted the issue, 5am on 27/10?

Posted

Thanks for that I'll try it, re clock change that was before 27 th though?

Posted

When you say reset do you mean take the power off and then back on?

Posted

yeah but modern technology sometimes does weird things and in my experience of fault finding, its alway the obvious that gets overlooked

found a site which may be of some use to you > 

troubleshooting-weather-station.jpg
WEATHERSTATIONARY.COM

This section is tailored for Davis Instruments Vantage Vue and Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 but can also be applied to common...

Edited by MAF

Posted
Just now, johnholmes said:

When you say reset do you mean take the power off and then back on?

yes, a power cycle may reset the instrument

Posted

Rather than trying to unscramble spagheti junction behind the dek would taking the two leads out of the console by the side of the pc do the same thing?

Posted
25 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Rather than trying to unscramble spagheti junction behind the dek would taking the two leads out of the console by the side of the pc do the same thing?

not really, but you could still try. the reason to power cycle the console is to give it a reset. unplugging past the console, i.e. console to PC wont reset the console. the PC will just not see it connected. the web page link i gave in the reply earlier has some really useful tips of problem solving the console  

Posted

and seeing you say ""spaghetti"" does make me wonder if a cable has been detached by been pulled or strained. so maybe a tidy up of the cables may be a worthwhile job anyway.

Posted

Thank you very much for your advice I will try and pull the desk out enough to get behind and check the cables both the power and the link into the back of the pc, that does seem solid having pulled the tower to be able to see this. The Davis site seems pretty good, never noticed that before and I've had their kt since 2004 with the Vantage Vue since 2014.

Just one point I had the batteries low indication, replaced them but that message still comes up. I seem to remember that once you change the batteries ignore it still being there-is this correct?

Again Mick(MAF) thank you very much for such a quick response and so much help, got to go and put my grocery delivery away now but I'll let you know what happens.

John

Posted

No problem John. 

as for battery message, i cant answer you. i don't have a Vantage, just years of diagnostic experience in the MoD when it comes to IT and the likes  

Posted

well in deep trouble, managed eventually to get the data logger back and the power into the console but now the console and pc are not communicating.

The console screen is currently stuck on serial bawd rate 19200 which is what it should be, if I cycle through it stops on station 1 transmitting but goes no further.

On the pc if I try to do the walk through that keeps saying pc gave up?

Any idea Mick please?

Posted

John, sounds like a comms issue with the pc not seeing the console. silly, i know, but are all cables plugged into the correct ports/sockets and firmly home? not sure if the pc software has a troubleshooting part to it. again i don't know the setup of the software so cant guide you where to look.  

do the sensors have batteries? are they all working? i am sort of hoping an expert on this type of weather station is going to pop up and say "john, its a simple as doing xyz" as i can only give you answers concerning the connectivity of the kit. 

Posted

Make sure the time on console and PC match up.
When I first connected mine it was a bit of a faff about getting updated or correct drivers.
Otherwise complete restart of everything might be your next option.
The console does store some data in the logger but I think you only get one shot to download.
Make sure that silly clip thing is fully engaged.

Edited by 4wd

Posted
4 minutes ago, MAF said:

John, sounds like a comms issue with the pc not seeing the console. silly, i know, but are all cables plugged into the correct ports/sockets and firmly home? not sure if the pc software has a troubleshooting part to it. again i don't know the setup of the software so cant guide you where to look.  

do the sensors have batteries? are they all working? i am sort of hoping an expert on this type of weather station is going to pop up and say "john, its a simple as doing xyz" as i can only give you answers concerning the connectivity of the kit. 

Thanks all batteries are ok, only replaced console ones about 3 weeks ago and all 3 are firmly in, wires all seem linked as they should be, data logger eventually is firmly (I hope) now okay.

Posted
3 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Thanks all batteries are ok, only replaced console ones about 3 weeks ago and all 3 are firmly in, wires all seem linked as they should be, data logger eventually is firmly (I hope) now okay.

so does that mean its all back working now?

Posted
2 minutes ago, MAF said:

Yep still got my copy of that and have been looking at the one you showed earlier but I cannot get the console to start receiving data now no matter what I try, just checked again and the data logger is firmly connected power on, it just keeps recycling through the initial setup lat long, units etc then gets to stn 1 vue 155 but nothing happens?

Posted

something keeps coming up

'retransmit on and then below that 2?

Posted
2 minutes ago, MAF said:

so does that mean its all back working now?

nope

Posted
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

nope

ok, does this help. retransmit on is asking you what to retransmit to. i think you have to confirm either a "on" or "off" command with the "done" button. this explains it better > 

Posted

I've got the actual data on the console now but not yet able to get it to the pc!