Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novembers 2005 and 2008

damianslaw

Posted

As we approach November, began to reminisce about Novembers not too distant past that I enjoyed for there variability. 

Both 2005 and 2008 I enjoyed because they became colder through second half, indeed 2005 saw a major flip from very mild to notable cold. High pressure mid month lots of frost and fog, then a cold northerly with widespread snow. 

2008 brought alot of chilly NW type conditions first half, then a cold frosty last week. The last weekend was very cold and frosty and felt seasonal. 

The cold held into December.

They felt different to your usual November, just like 2010 did. 2012 and 2017 had a similar feel with some decent cold later in the month as well. 1993 and 1996 the same. All were followed by cold weather in winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

November 2005 I remember very well

I was living in High Peak in Derbyshire at the time and it was like a switch, into winter that year. I remember having to scrape the car windscreen off every morning for weeks on end from mid month onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I really enjoyed November 2005. Some high powered Atlantic weather in the first half with thunder on a few occasions, then that beautiful sunny and increasingly frosty spell from midmonth, that also had a few foggy days, before the first snow on the 25th.

Overall, I fondly remember that winter. Other than the opening of December, New Year and mid Feb, there was very little wet weather at all.

2008 had a more traditional start. Again, a wet and sometimes stormy first third, a rather bland middle third, then feeling much colder during the final third. It was then that you could tell the winter was going to take a different route to the previous two.

Posted
48 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I really enjoyed November 2005. Some high powered Atlantic weather in the first half with thunder on a few occasions, then that beautiful sunny and increasingly frosty spell from midmonth, that also had a few foggy days, before the first snow on the 25th.

Overall, I fondly remember that winter. Other than the opening of December, New Year and mid Feb, there was very little wet weather at all.

2008 had a more traditional start. Again, a wet and sometimes stormy first third, a rather bland middle third, then feeling much colder during the final third. It was then that you could tell the winter was going to take a different route to the previous two.

Yes a sense creeps in late November how winter might set up, in 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and to some extent 2017, it felt things could be different to the norm... and that was the case. 

Posted

I can’t really remember much of 2005 but I know that the last part was really cold and frosty, I can’t remember any snow here though.

2008 ended cold and that led into early December where we ended up getting quite a dumping of snow in the first week. My school was shut for the first time ever it seemed that week.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
On 29/10/2020 at 11:00, damianslaw said:

Yes a sense creeps in late November how winter might set up, in 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 and to some extent 2017, it felt things could be different to the norm... and that was the case. 

I thought that November 2009 was mild for most of the month, and it wasn't until the second week of December 2009 that a much colder pattern set up,  which set the pattern for generally the coldest winter of recent times.  I believe that in 2012 it was the back end of November that turned cold leading into a cold first half of December that year, and then it turned much milder through the Christmas and New Year period of that winter, before a much colder pattern set up in the second week of January 2013, and it was then that winter 2012-13 really got going for cold.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Nov 05 is one of my favorite months (second only to Nov 10 for me but actually quite similar in weather type to Dec 10 over Dec 09/Feb 10 - very dry, very sunny, very frosty/cold). Essentially a zonal pattern gave way to a northerly toppler which never completely toppled so we kept the high, later in the month we got a proper northerly. 

Nov 08 and Nov 12 were less notable for me but produced widely (more of a cooler, unsettled pattern though).