Best Sporting Theme Music  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Why did you vote for this particular theme?

• BBC Cricket/Test Match Special
    • BBC Golf Tournaments
    • BBC Ski Sunday/Ski Jumping
    • ITV International Football
    • BBC Match of the Day
    • BBC Snooker Tournaments
    • BBC Wimbledon Tennis Championships

Morning all,

I thought it would be fun to hold a Poll on Members favourite, Sporting Theme Music.

IMO there's only one place to start and that's with BBC's Test Match Theme Music:

For me, this Music was synonymous with West Indian Cricket, in the 1970's and 1980's.

Curtley Ambrose, Michael Holding, Malcolm Marshall, Andy Roberts, Courtney Walsh, etc. The list goes on and on.

If the Bowling didn't "get" you, the Batting of Gordon Greenidge, Alvin Kallicharran, Clive Lloyd, Sir Vivian Richards etc, probably would.

The Music epitomised the Calypso, Cavalier style Cricket of that generation of West Indian Cricketers.

If you were a quick Bowler, bowl as fast and as accurately as possible.

If you were a Batsman and the ball was pitched up at you, throw the "kitchen sink" at it, and watch it disappear to the boundary.

During the mid 1970's, I worked in the heavily populated West Indian area of South London, Brixton.

Brixton was a very vibrant and colourful place to work and the air was always full of the sound of the West Indies.

My favourite of those West Indian "quickies" was without doubt Michael "Whispering Death" Holding.

Holding had a run up to the delivery crease, as smooth as a Rolls Royce.

My second choice of Sporting Theme Music is BBC's Title Music. for Golf Tournaments:

This Music, I always associate with the Final Round of the Open and the Ryder Cup, when BBC still had the rights to these Tournaments.

IMO, when both Events are on a "knife edge", there is no finer Sporting Drama than the Open and the Ryder Cup.

But I often had to work on these Sundays, in my job as a Trader for a Credit Bookmaker in Croydon, Surrey.

Therefore, had to satisfy myself with a recording of the drama of the concluding Round, of these Tournaments.

My third choice of Sporting Theme Music, is again from the BBC "Stable." The Title Music for Ski Sunday:

If we were experiencing yet another Snowless Winter in the U.K., it was my only way of achieving a "Snow Fix."

Even though I'm not a Ski enthusiast (apologies to Carinthian and John Holmes), I would always try and tune in to catch a sight of the "White Gold."

For the same reason, I would always try to catch BBC's coverage of the 4 Hills Ski Jumping Tournament.

This is always held at the end of December/beginning of January, at the following venues - Obertsdorf, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Innsbruck and Bischofshofen.

The Theme Music which introduced the above 3 Sporting Events, always set my pulse racing in anticipation of the Sporting drama to follow.

Which Sporting Theme Music made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, when you heard these Programmes starting?  

Don't forget to VOTE for your favourite Sports Theme Music!!

Regards,

Tom.  👌  🏌️‍♂️

Edited by TomSE12

Thought I would post up Youtube clips of those other options, in the Poll.

ITV's turn for a "look in", with their Theme Music for England International Football.

This is of course the Intro to The Verve's, Bitter Sweet Symphony:

And now the BBC's Match of the Day Theme Musuc, which has hung around longer than the Mother-in-Law.

And now another "Golden Oldie", BBC's Snooker Theme Music:

Finally, another one from the BBC "Stable", their Theme Music for the Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Championships:

Apologies to ITV and other Sports Channels but the Beeb have pretty much dominated proceedings, on this Thread so far. As I can't afford Sky Sports, or other pay-per-view Sports Channels, not sure what might be lurking in their Wood Sheds?

If Members have any alternatives to the options of Sporting Theme Music I've listed in that Poll, please post up examples.

Regards,

Tom.  👌

• Like 1

I ought to give a plug to an ITV Theme, as their excellent Horse Racing Broadcasts form the cornerstone of my Horse Racing Competitions:

Regards,

Tom.  👌 🏇

• Like 1

Voted for the Cricket theme, always liked it. Liked the horse racing/jumping theme which was Mozart's musical joke.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dreckly said:

Voted for the Cricket theme, always liked it. Liked the horse racing/jumping theme which was Mozart's musical joke.

Thanks for that piece of info Jackie and for the vote has put BBC Cricket, into the lead. More on that piece of Music in a moment.

Another piece of classically inspired piece of Music that will be heard around some European Football Stadia, Tonight and Tomorrow, is the official UEFA Champions League Anthem:

Evidently the Theme is based on Handel's, Zadok The Priest. It was written by English Composer Tony Britten, in 1992. UEFA''s website states, that the Anthem is now almost as iconic as the Champions League Trophy.

It reminds me very much of the final movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, Ode To Joy. This was adopted by the European Union, and the European Ryder Cup Golf Team.

It is now played at the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Tournament, played between Europe and the U.S.A.

I'm pleased to see that my own personal favourite, the BBC Cricket Theme, is now in the lead after 3 Votes.

Although many Bands covered "Soul Limbo", it is mainly associated with American R & B outfit, Booker T and the MG's.

Below, is a Youtube clip of them performing Soul Limbo, on the David Letterman Show:

Finally, apologies to Darts Fans out there but perhaps I should have included another from the BBC Stable. This "Golden Oldie", below:

Regards,

Tom.  👌  

7 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

They were all very good..

The best, or should i say my favourite, was the old fanfare one used for international Athletics.

Just for mushymanrob. I think this is the Theme Music, you mean: 

Regards,

Tom.   👌 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I, the Returning Officer for the Poll for Netweather best Sporting Theme Music,  declare the Poll now closed.

Votes have been counted, all 5 of them and there were no Postal Votes.

The turnout was extremely low, less than 1% of the Netweather Membership.

This was no doubt due to Members not wishing to queue at Polling Stations, with the CV Pandemic raging around them.

I have to report though, that all my Staff wore face masks and sat behind perspex screens, at Polling Stations, and therefore it was a very safe environment, to vote in.

There were no spoiled Ballot Papers.

The following Candidates, all lost their deposits:

BBC Golf, BBC Ski Sunday, ITV International Football, BBC Match of the Day and BBC Snooker.

That should be a lesson to all those fringe parties, if your candidate doesn't have an attractive manifesto to Vote for, your core Voters, won't bother to Vote.

The Result is as follows:

The Winner with 3 Electoral Seats and 60% of the Vote is............................BBC Cricket/Test Match Special.

Second with 2 Electoral Seats and 40% of the Vote is, BBC Wimbledon Tennis Championships.

But the BBC Wimbledon Team have been very unsporting in their non-acceptance, of the Result.

They havn't congratulated BBC Cricket on their win and couldn't bother to show up at the Declaration, of the Result.

Instead, the BBC Wimbledon Team went off and had a round of Golf, claiming the Vote was rigged. Also that BBC Cricket employed Bully Boy tactics, by threatening their Supporters at Polling Stations.

They have also filed Lawsuits against those at Netweather Towers, claiming that many Votes for BBC Wimbledon, mysteriously disappeared. They claim that, "it's not over yet."

But there is no evidence of impropriety and Vote rigging. This is no doubt fake News and just a trumped up charge!!

The Fat Lady has cleared her throat and sung.

Speaking of Music it's Calypso time over at BBC Cricket Campaign Headquarters, with the Declaration of the Result.

The BBC Cricket Team hired Booker T and the MG's, to play a live version of their manifesto:

Yet again, the Polling Companies were totally inaccurate.

They had BBC Ski Sunday way out in front but they failed to register a single Vote.

BBC Cricket have appointed BBC Golf, who were their running mate, as their Vice President.

The Vice President (BBC Golf), will be making an appearance and Statement, during the highlights of the U.S. Masters Tournament, at the end of the Week.

Finally, as Peter Snow and his Swingometer show, a 3% Swing to BBC Cricket, was enough to tip the balance of Power, in their direction:

image.png.c2f73071fb82d3d8ea41397e5c7b8f22.png

Thanks to all who voted or not, as the case may be.

Regards,

Tom. 👍

Edited by TomSE12

The cricket and snooker themes have always been my favourites. Simply timeless. A shame I haven't heard them on TV for years because 1) the BBC stopped showing the cricket and 2) they remixed "Drag Racer" for their snooker coverage and now it just sounds lame.

A special mention also for "The Life Of Riley" as the Goal Of The Month theme. At least on this occasion the Beeb saw sense and brought it back. 

Edited by AderynCoch
7 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

I, the Returning Officer for the Poll for Netweather best Sporting Theme Music,  declare the Poll now closed.

Votes have been counted, all 5 of them and there were no Postal Votes.

The turnout was extremely low, less than 1% of the Netweather Membership.

This was no doubt due to Members not wishing to queue at Polling Stations, with the CV Pandemic raging around them.

I have to report though, that all my Staff wore face masks and sat behind perspex screens, at Polling Stations, and therefore it was a very safe environment, to vote in.

There were no spoiled Ballot Papers.

The following Candidates, all lost their deposits:

BBC Golf, BBC Ski Sunday, ITV International Football, BBC Match of the Day and BBC Snooker.

That should be a lesson to all those fringe parties, if your candidate doesn't have an attractive manifesto to Vote for, your core Voters, won't bother to Vote.

The Result is as follows:

The Winner with 3 Electoral Seats and 60% of the Vote is............................BBC Cricket/Test Match Special.

Second with 2 Electoral Seats and 40% of the Vote is, BBC Wimbledon Tennis Championships.

But the BBC Wimbledon Team have been very unsporting in their non-acceptance, of the Result.

They havn't congratulated BBC Cricket on their win and couldn't bother to show up at the Declaration, of the Result.

Instead, the BBC Wimbledon Team went off and had a round of Golf, claiming the Vote was rigged. Also that BBC Cricket employed Bully Boy tactics, by threatening their Supporters at Polling Stations.

They have also filed Lawsuits against those at Netweather Towers, claiming that many Votes for BBC Wimbledon, mysteriously disappeared. They claim that, "it's not over yet."

But there is no evidence of impropriety and Vote rigging. This is no doubt fake News and just a trumped up charge!!

The Fat Lady has cleared her throat and sung.

Speaking of Music it's Calypso time over at BBC Cricket Campaign Headquarters, with the Declaration of the Result.

The BBC Cricket Team hired Booker T and the MG's, to play a live version of their manifesto:

Yet again, the Polling Companies were totally inaccurate.

They had BBC Ski Sunday way out in front but they failed to register a single Vote.

BBC Cricket have appointed BBC Golf, who were their running mate, as their Vice President.

The Vice President (BBC Golf), will be making an appearance and Statement, during the highlights of the U.S. Masters Tournament, at the end of the Week.

Finally, as Peter Snow and his Swingometer show, a 3% Swing to BBC Cricket, was enough to tip the balance of Power, in their direction:

image.png.c2f73071fb82d3d8ea41397e5c7b8f22.png

Thanks to all who voted or not, as the case may be.

Regards,

Tom. 👍

look like my postal vote from Canada has just arrived..so looks like if MOTD/Wimbledon have enough votes to force a hung parliament of sporting themes