Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima winter 2020-2021 season

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Wow, an extraordinary temperature reading for the month of February. Looks like Braemar edged out in front of Kinbrace. Anyone know how low Kinbrace got in the end? To steal a line I read on Twitter (which I'm now unable to find), must have been 'kinbracing up there 

• Like 2

Posted

Incredible! That has made the winter for me. Coldest February temperature since 1955. Can't believe we got lower than Jan/Dec 2010.

Thinking about it, if more places got snowfall, who knows what the minimas would be in the CET zone. 

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

-23.0C!

Winter 2020/21 has now peaked! That won’t be beaten this month. 

@Relativistic Kinbrace -20.9C from what I can see - officially.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost, snow, thunderstorms, sunshine, intense heat

Got down to a comparatively toasty -7.3°C here in Staffordshire. Not sure how that compares to the rest of the CET zone. Looking at the modelling there's a decent chance the early hours of Saturday could be slightly colder than last night in the CET zone.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Excellent, was hoping we might squeeze out the -23C mark. First time in my lifetime.

• Like 2

Posted

Just noticed that today marks the 126th anniversary of the first -27.2C reading way back in 1895. According to TORRO, only eight dates in February hold records of -23C or below, and seven of them are held by 1895! The 16th has a joint record with 1978, and the 23rd is held by 1955. It seems that very few cold spells ever achieve such low temperatures in February. This reading really is historic.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I don't want to get anyone too excited; but, if I remember correctly, somewhere in Scotty got down to -22C, in March 2001?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

I don't want to get anyone too excited; but, if I remember correctly, somewhere in Scotty got down to -22C, in March 2001?

Kinbrace recorded -21.7C on the 3rd March 2001.

• Thanks 1

Posted

I’m glad Braemar has officially recorded -23.0c - an incredible temperature. It’s funny how the coldest  temperatures don’t always occur during the coldest winters - the lowest temperature out of 1947, 1963 and 2010 was -22.3C in Jan 2010. After a decade of temperatures struggling to drop below -15C it’s great that the 2020s hasn’t failed to achieve -20C. 

• Like 3

Posted

I work for Vaisala here in the UK and have the ability to see data from the 1100 or so roadside weather stations around the UK and Ireland. The lowest value I've seen this morning was from a station just to the west of Tillyfourie in Aberdeenshire where -22.8C was reported at 0630. Unfortunately there are no stations in Braemar, the closest one being just to the east of the village at Crathie, where -19.2C was reported at 0700.

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Dave Bullock said:

I work for Vaisala here in the UK and have the ability to see data from the 1100 or so roadside weather stations around the UK and Ireland. The lowest value I've seen this morning was from a station just to the west of Tillyfourie in Aberdeenshire where -22.8C was reported at 0630. Unfortunately there are no stations in Braemar, the closest one being just to the east of the village at Crathie, where -19.2C was reported at 0700.

Tillyfourie sits fairly high up as you drive over and down into the Alford Valley. The deep cold tends to pool around Whitehouse. There's a few -24C been eported around there today. Lumsden which is slightly further inland was also at -24C .

Unofficial temperatures off course as the nearest observation stations are miles away, one of which isn't nearly as cold as the Alford Valley.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

So are you saying the minimum temperature registered this morning. Is fake news?  Or just what you can see?
The Met Office official weather stations must be faking all these recorded temperatures then throughout the year and history. 

4C0261FC-ECB0-431A-987D-A50A4AAC6261.thumb.png.ba04497d69fc9dd8f9bba28b03e5a176.png

-23.0C in Braemar is our official minimum temperature of Winter 2020/21. 

I'm saying that on the roadside weather station network the lowest temperature I've seen this morning is -22.8C. This isn't the same as the official weather station network you mention. The set up is completely different at these locations and specifically tailored to measuring road and roadside conditions. For example the temperature and humidity sensors are mounted around 3m above the ground. However the sensors on the stations are professional or reference grade and are rigorously maintained to ensure the data reported is accurate

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Last post from me of the day/probably the rest of Winter in this thread as I can’t see us going lower than this on current models/charts/outlook.

Always nice to see 1962/63 mentioned. 

All the best to you all! ☃️

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Dave Bullock said:

I'm saying that on the roadside weather station network the lowest temperature I've seen this morning is -22.8C. This isn't the same as the official weather station network you mention. The set up is completely different at these locations and specifically tailored to measuring road and roadside conditions. For example the temperature and humidity sensors are mounted around 3m above the ground. However the sensors on the stations are professional or reference grade and are rigorously maintained to ensure the data reported is accurate

The road weather stations (e.g. https://trafficscotland.org/weatherstations/) are interesting for observing cold pooling on a still night with clear skies like last night, because both ground surface temperature and air temperature are reported (unlike the synoptic network). At higher stations on convexities (e.g. passes like Slochd, Drumochter), the surface temperature is lower than the air temperature as you'd expect from radiation cooling. At lower stations downslope of nearby valleys, the air temperature is lower than the road surface temperature (i.e. colder than it could be from radiation alone), because of the arrival and re-sorting of cold air from nearby.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, jacobdavies said:

The road weather stations (e.g. https://trafficscotland.org/weatherstations/) are interesting for observing cold pooling on a still night with clear skies like last night, because both ground surface temperature and air temperature are reported (unlike the synoptic network). At higher stations on convexities (e.g. passes like Slochd, Drumochter), the surface temperature is lower than the air temperature as you'd expect from radiation cooling. At lower stations downslope of nearby valleys, the air temperature is lower than the road surface temperature (i.e. colder than it could be from radiation alone), because of the arrival and re-sorting of cold air from nearby.

There are a few other local authorities that make some of their roadside station information available but sometimes it can take a fair bit of searching about. Perth and Kinross, Cumbria, Durham and North Yorkshire are a few that come to mind.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Mr Frost said:

Quite incredible!

-22.9C recorded in Braemar this morning is our lowest February minimum temperature since 1955! 
That was Braemar once again! -25C on 23/02/1955.

Impressive! I thought Feb 86 produced a colder temperature.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, A Winter's Tale said:

I’m glad Braemar has officially recorded -23.0c - an incredible temperature. It’s funny how the coldest  temperatures don’t always occur during the coldest winters - the lowest temperature out of 1947, 1963 and 2010 was -22.3C in Jan 2010. After a decade of temperatures struggling to drop below -15C it’s great that the 2020s hasn’t failed to achieve -20C. 

It is very notable we can achieve a figure this low in the days of climate change. Coldest minimum I think since 30 Dec 95, correct if wrong. What was the minimum in England, I think -13 somewhere.. not that spectacular in comparison..

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes - pretty incredible! 

Seen this earlier - 2010 was very special! 

A0DCED00-87C7-463D-AB34-6430998E5D17.thumb.jpeg.558c66b59d348d6ff5e0547e0d5d752c.jpeg

Also note on the above tweet...three UK stations went below -20.0C this morning. 

We all know about Braemar! -23.0C! Other two are Kinbrace -20.9C and Balmoral -20.5C. 

7385B210-F395-4502-9C72-1111AC612D66.thumb.jpeg.ea5f5cb7fd52fa7aa6a8171fea1c4281.jpeg20B1711C-5E50-45CF-89A2-FEFBD383F461.thumb.jpeg.241345b6c99ee493fe099aea80790578.jpeg

Altnaharra got very close -19.9C! 

8CFB7907-66EB-41B2-A7BB-176819B73054.thumb.png.f1246fb164d1240935b3fa20a051d0da.png

The Braemar temperature this morning is the coldest since 30/12/1995 - Altnaharra -27.2C.

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
5 hours ago, Relativistic said:

Just noticed that today marks the 126th anniversary of the first -27.2C reading way back in 1895. According to TORRO, only eight dates in February hold records of -23C or below, and seven of them are held by 1895! The 16th has a joint record with 1978, and the 23rd is held by 1955. It seems that very few cold spells ever achieve such low temperatures in February. This reading really is historic.

Yes great to see we can still get these temps albeit in Scotland.

-23 deg has been recorded 5 times in December,13 times in January and 8 times in February.

Whilst we may look at the fact this is the coldest temp since 1955 in February is historic it is not that historic.

Historic is trying to explain how -23 deg could possibly be achieved at the rediculously early date of November 14th as it did in 1919 or equally how it was within a hairs breadth in the very late date of March 14th at -22.8 in 1958.

It just goes to show the winters can be very long and cold if we get the right setup.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
58 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

1986 got to -21.2 on February 27th and -20 deg on 1st March

Posted
44 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Yes - pretty incredible! 

Seen this earlier - 2010 was very special! 

A0DCED00-87C7-463D-AB34-6430998E5D17.thumb.jpeg.558c66b59d348d6ff5e0547e0d5d752c.jpeg

Wow. 2010 beat all the years in the 60s and 80s, didn’t expect that. Goes to show we can still get very cold winters in a warming climate!

Posted
51 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

1986 got to -21.2 on February 27th and -20 deg on 1st March

Yes seen the stats thanks. Mins for England this morning stats?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

Wow. 2010 beat all the years in the 60s and 80s, didn’t expect that. Goes to show we can still get very cold winters in a warming climate!

That's an annual chart you were seeing. Jan 10 and Dec 10 alone were epic but together they are colder than most Jan-Feb combinations even before Feb-March.

That said even without Dec 10, the winter of 09/10 was the coldest since 79.

Edited by summer blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

Little chat I note on this morning low minima in Yorkshire, did somewhere report -15 degrees, coldest min in England this season so far. How does it compare with other absolute yearly mins for England?