Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima winter 2020-2021 season

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Sennybridge and Topcliffe were both -8C at midnight. Fingers crossed we can set a new low for the season.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

According to Netweather we bottomed out at -8.2C in Sennybridge.

Screenshot_20210125-081238_Chrome.jpg

Posted

Still yet to have notable depth of cold to produce notable low temps, need an injection of -10 uppers I feel, something so far we have failed to see this season, lowest values being about -8 degrees.

Posted
14 hours ago, Relativistic said:

According to Netweather we bottomed out at -8.2C in Sennybridge.

Screenshot_20210125-081238_Chrome.jpg

-9.7C at Sennybridge and -9.2C at Topcliffe'

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03507&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2021&mes=01&day=25&hora=21

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03265&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2021&mes=01&day=25&hora=21

Edited by Aleman
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Is it right the coldest night so far is -12.3 deg? If so it is the 3rd mildest minimum in the last 30 years after last year and 2014.

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Is it right the coldest night so far is -12.3 deg? If so it is the 3rd mildest minimum in the last 30 years after last year and 2014.

Yes we've not has uppers below about -8 degrees I think yet, need to get below -10 degrees uppers to produce something substantively colder.  Still plenty of time.

Posted
37 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Keep an eye on Saturday night through to the early hours of Sunday! -12.3C should be easily beaten.

Braemar could do well - many other spots also.

Met Office delivers -16C to -18C at least.

Could go even lower.

8322FA7A-73FB-4CDB-A365-769151F55361.thumb.jpeg.9aa816fd08adbd8bac19ca1c250dc518.jpeg

Sunday night through to the early hours of Monday more of the same expected.

Yes a tongue of high pressure from polar high ridging through Scotland, could be very cold, one to watch as you say. 

Posted
On 09/01/2021 at 13:47, Relativistic said:

There's a manual station in the region (Dawyck botanic garden; see link below). Perhaps we'll get a lower reading later today.

uk_climate_synoptic_and_climate_stations
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The map shows the current network of synoptic and climate stations covering the UK.

I mentioned Dawyck botanic gardens at the time, but also missed confirmation!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I just noticed we don't have a 2011 onward list. Targets (should do well with a less cyclonic but cold outlook).

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
5 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

I just noticed we don't have a 2011 onward list. Targets (should do well with a less cyclonic but cold outlook).

2011 -13.0 Althnaharra 8 January

2012 -18.3 Chesham (Bucks.) 11 February

2013 -13.4 Marham (near Norwich, Norfolk) 16 January

2014 -9.0 Cromdale (Morayshire) 27 December

2015 -12.5 Tulloch Bridge, Glascarnoch 19 January

2016 -14.1 Braemar 14 February

2017 -13.0 Shawbury (Shropshire) 12 December

2018 -14.2 Faversham (Kent) 28 February

2019 -15.4 Braemar 1 February

2020 -10.2 Braemar 13 February and Dalwhinnie (30 December)

• Thanks 2

Posted

May see something colder in the Highlands some point first half Feb if we see drier settled conditions overhead given expected snowfall over the coming week.

Posted
4 hours ago, hillbilly said:

2011 -13.0 Althnaharra 8 January

2012 -18.3 Chesham (Bucks.) 11 February

2013 -13.4 Marham (near Norwich, Norfolk) 16 January

2014 -9.0 Cromdale (Morayshire) 27 December

2015 -12.5 Tulloch Bridge, Glascarnoch 19 January

2016 -14.1 Braemar 14 February

2017 -13.0 Shawbury (Shropshire) 12 December

2018 -14.2 Faversham (Kent) 28 February

2019 -15.4 Braemar 1 February

2020 -10.2 Braemar 13 February and Dalwhinnie (30 December)

Interesting list.

Firstly worth asking if these annual or winter (I'm assuming 2011 should include the Dec and be -20.6).

Other than that it's a bit surprising how often England has won out and 2013/2018 underperform a bit.

Decent chance we can get the coldest since 2012 i think.

Posted
8 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Interesting list.

Firstly worth asking if these annual or winter (I'm assuming 2011 should include the Dec and be -20.6).

Other than that it's a bit surprising how often England has won out and 2013/2018 underperform a bit.

Decent chance we can get the coldest since 2012 i think.

Taken from Trevor Harleys site.He has it listed as the coldest of each winter but actually says coldest of each year at the top of the page.Am almost certain it is annually.Yes its very surprising how many times England has been the coldest ,certainly in recent times.

Posted

This thread should be alive this week! Many should see there coldest night of the season so far either tomorrow or Wednesday night most likely.

-15 degrees expected in Scottish Highlands.

Hope to see reports of low minima readings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
58 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

This thread should be alive this week! Many should see there coldest night of the season so far either tomorrow or Wednesday night most likely.

-15 degrees expected in Scottish Highlands.

Hope to see reports of low minima readings.

Yes, many places should see their coldest minima ....already -9C here at 11pm. tomorrow we may get down to -15C...or lower.  ❄️

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Livet Laddie said:

Yes, many places should see their coldest minima ....already -9C here at 11pm. tomorrow we may get down to -15C...or lower.  ❄️

Thanks for reply. This thread always gets lost it seems. We have potential for a min below-15 degrees both tomorrow and Wednesday night. Not here, somewhere in the Highlands.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
8 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Thanks for reply. This thread always gets lost it seems. We have potential for a min below-15 degrees both tomorrow and Wednesday night. Not here, somewhere in the Highlands.

Well , we are the Eastern Highlands- We are just  within the Cairngorm National Park - the boundary is the river Livet 20m below the house, at the front. Yes, probably beat this winter’s min tomorrow ; -14C  2 weeks ago. Radiative cooling will be on max too...clear night with a snowpack of over 30 cm.

FF56B37D-1B87-4C7C-8F25-6C2FAFD0D0EE.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Frigid said:

ECM 12Z forecasting lows under -10 in the south. Granted if we get clear skies, slack winds and snow cover it’s possible. 

Not at all unreasonable. Managed it in consecutive Winters when I was in Chelmsford (December 2010 and February 2012).

Posted

Lowest min of the season so far recorded in the early hours, Altnaharra at -15.6 degrees.

Shap fell below -10 degrees.

Tonight likely to be colder still, and we have Wednesday/Thursday night to come when winds will be lighter and skies clearer.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Reporting Scotland news just said Ballater got -18C so if correct coldest for some time!

edit. I have been unable to find anything more about this so I wonder if they were mistaken or thatI misheard?

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Reporting Scotland news just said Ballater got -18C so if correct coldest for some time!

edit. I have been unable to find anything more about this so I wonder if they were mistaken or thatI misheard?

Not heard as yet, will have to wait for the official figures. The low minima are going under everyone's radar.. everyone focused on the snow, there is a chance early hours Thursday somewhere in Highlands could drop below -20 degrees, impressive!

Posted
Just now, biggreyface said:

It’s-16 in Altnaharra at 11am looks like -20 should be easily achieved in the next 2days

Gosh temp continued to drop this morning, quite unusual given I suspect there are clear skies and sunshine. We are just on the right side of the solar input line, in a couple of weeks time, temps through morning should climb rather than drop. All eyes on Altnaharra. I'd love this thread to be kept alive, just as we all count down snow amounts.. this thread should be buzzing!

• Like 2

Posted

Also the coldest for 9 years.