Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima winter 2020-2021 season

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I'll be one of those picking an English spot and going for -12.5 °C at Pershore. I'm not expecting anything stupendously cold, but low negative double figures at that location is hardly beyond the realms of possibility.

I've just checked Trevor Harley's site, and in December 2010 Pershore fell beneath -15 °C at least twice, with -18.7 °C on the 20th, following a maximum of -8.2 °C the day before! It wasn't actually the lowest in England that winter, as Shawbury hit -19.6 °C on the 19th, but as a Worcestershire man I have to stick up for Pershore in this thread!

In my own part of Worcestershire, getting below -10 °C is very rare -- December 2010 managed it of course, but from memory only one or two winters since have done so. So I'll guess at -7.4 °C IMBY as the lowest I'll record myself this winter.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Resurrecting this thread,  whilst not expecting any especially cold minima in the immediate at least, many I suspect may record there coldest night of the season so far Christmas morning, a fitting time to do it. Only expecting mins -2 to -4 degrees, it has been a largely mild winter so far minimum temp wise. Hoping this thread springs into life as we enter 2021.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Did we beat Dec 19.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

-18 for the UK as a whole, in Scotland, -4 for me. Both in January

• Like 1

Met Office automatic forecast is showing potential for some very low minima in the west Highlands early tomorrow morning. The forecast cold pools are so small though that they could easily be missed by the weather station network though - although see tonight's forecast for Cluanie Inn, where there is a station.

cluanie inn.PNG

low minima.PNG

Posted

Not much activity in here, there should be, as tonight is expected to be the coldest of the season so far. Perhaps a -11 or -12 degrees in the NW Highlands, nothing exceptional but would beat last winter.

Wednesday night forecast cold over N England, might drop down to -8 or -9 degrees over the N Pennine Snowfields.

Whilst the spell of weather since Boxing Day has been decent cold wise, more in terms of persistant cold maxima, minima haven't been especially cold, indeed often hovering just under or above freezing on a number of nights for many away from where there has been snow cover. Indeed I've noted the difference a bit of snow cover has made quite locally, parts of NW region not renowned for particularly cold minima and normally milder than here, have had a few colder nights than here due to snow cover.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

What were the coldest minima of a winter 2019 and 2020.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

@summer blizzard Coldest minimum temperature for Winter 2018/19 was recorded on 01/02/2019 at Braemar -15.4C.

Coldest minimum temperature for Winter 2019/20 was recorded on 01/12/2019 at Tulloch Bridge -10.3C.

Had to laugh at 2019/2020, 1st December.

Posted

Friday night looking very cold indeed a severe frost expected across much of country. ECM 00z had -18C in Scottish Highlands on course for U.K. to see its coldest temperature since February 2012. 

3E4395C8-5B6A-43E9-8914-CF1D92AA7926.thumb.png.9cf214cdfae933cccdc2741e5129513e.png

Actually -16°C seems to include Scandi. To be coldest since 2012 need to beat 2019 with -15.4C irs doable. Will a station record it though? 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Wow!!

Wow surly a -18/-19 could be in order tonight then? 

Posted

Yes BBC were saying possible -15 degrees somewhere in the southern uplands. Deep snow cover and light winds, clear skies reason why. 

Where can we view current minima temps. Cold night in N Pennines I suspect as well. Northumberland as well, possible sub -10 degree in Redesdale or Spadeadam perhaps.

Posted

The Highlandweather twitter account is mentioning quite a few personal weather stations in the area to the south-west of the Pentland Hills getting down below -15C, with Hartree House near Biggar getting down to -17.8, but the Met O is giving the overall low as -11.8 at Tulloch Bridge, east of Fort William. Not sure if there is any scope for the Met O to check and verify these temperatures. That area seems quite prone to low temperatures under certain set-ups. It would seem that there used to be some kind of official/semi-official weather station at Carnwath, as it holds a few of the annual low temperature records (including -24.6 at Carnwath on 13 January 1979).

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2012/10/16/top-ten-coldest-recorded-temperatures-in-the-uk/

4F92D460-EDD2-47A7-8B55-9EAAE922D9D2.thumb.jpeg.559c77875be6daa32c5f1152011bf1aa.jpeg8AAC293B-79CE-4B6D-BC85-64135CA571E4.thumb.jpeg.9884ebbce9aef1b668315e21d595dc0e.jpeg8AAC293B-79CE-4B6D-BC85-64135CA571E4.thumb.jpeg.9884ebbce9aef1b668315e21d595dc0e.jpeg

Edited by Spindrift2017
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

3 hours ago, Spindrift2017 said:

The Highlandweather twitter account is mentioning quite a few personal weather stations in the area to the south-west of the Pentland Hills getting down below -15C, with Hartree House near Biggar getting down to -17.8, but the Met O is giving the overall low as -11.8 at Tulloch Bridge, east of Fort William. Not sure if there is any scope for the Met O to check and verify these temperatures. That area seems quite prone to low temperatures under certain set-ups. It would seem that there used to be some kind of official/semi-official weather station at Carnwath, as it holds a few of the annual low temperature records (including -24.6 at Carnwath on 13 January 1979).

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2012/10/16/top-ten-coldest-recorded-temperatures-in-the-uk/

4F92D460-EDD2-47A7-8B55-9EAAE922D9D2.thumb.jpeg.559c77875be6daa32c5f1152011bf1aa.jpeg8AAC293B-79CE-4B6D-BC85-64135CA571E4.thumb.jpeg.9884ebbce9aef1b668315e21d595dc0e.jpeg8AAC293B-79CE-4B6D-BC85-64135CA571E4.thumb.jpeg.9884ebbce9aef1b668315e21d595dc0e.jpeg

There's a manual station in the region (Dawyck botanic garden; see link below). Perhaps we'll get a lower reading later today.

uk_climate_synoptic_and_climate_stations
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The map shows the current network of synoptic and climate stations covering the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Posted

Had a feeling Redesdale might be the coldest spot last night in England, and record current lowest figure of the season so far. 

Not sure about the S Scotland figures were some place not already at -12 degrees before midnight - what happened were these not official?

More generally pleased this thread is alive in the true winter month that is January. Last year it was dead as soon as winter started, likewise year before.

Hoping it will stay alive through the coming weeks!

Edited by damianslaw

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

The MO app on my phone says -8C in the West Midlands tonight. Could some places go lower than this?

Posted
3 hours ago, Relativistic said:

The MO app on my phone says -8C in the West Midlands tonight. Could some places go lower than this?

Assume reason being snow cover. Skies are set to clear, so there is a possibility of moderate low temps. Moderate category I class as -5 to -10 degrees.

Despite cold maxima at times this winter so far many haven't gone below -5 degrees, not exactly anything special. Plenty of time yet for some widespread very cold nights.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost, snow, thunderstorms, sunshine, intense heat

Temperature dropping rapidly here in Staffordshire with crystal clear skies, no wind, and a thick layer of snow. Dropped from -0.8C at 9:00pm to -3.4C at 10:10pm. 

Already the coldest night of the winter here, excited to see what it dropped to come morning.

Screenshot 2021-01-24 at 22.22.09.png

• Like 2