Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hurricane sun and the remains of hurricane Ophelia: 16th October 2017

Weather-history

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

DSCN3399.thumb.JPG.daf173c45cf1b25d412447874d7e040e.JPGDSCN3411.thumb.JPG.a862d4b25f5d7502a5dcc2bacfb0e3f5.JPG DSCN3420.thumb.JPG.aaf9e0d91f5270863f29cac7afb59e19.JPGDSCN3427.thumb.JPG.7cc0604f408c61ed90801250bde92191.JPGDSCN3431.thumb.JPG.5bf701cad44324daa54b343cc80487ba.JPGDSCN3433.thumb.JPG.b0bd86e343ab3e0ae15a4922313d9f7a.JPG

One of the weirdest things weather wise I've seen in the last 4 or 5 years. Sunset was exceptionally odd with a sort of green undertone just above the horizon.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I was moving a boat in the Midlands that day incredibly strange light from the Portuguese smoke dragged up over the UK. 

All of a sudden, the skies cleared mid afternoon and the wind picked up big time.

Posted

It was really surreal, the best way I can describe it was like living through a heavily filtered Instagram photo! I remember how mild it was the weekend before as well, it felt really warm in the strong Southerly winds. 

• 3 years later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

I would say this is the first of several events that increased my passion for the weather, with the snow in December and the Beast from the East following soon after, then the storms in May 2018.

My memory of it is in school seeing the sun and thinking it looked quite wrong. I also felt the dust and other particles brought up by the southerly winds making my eyes itchy and irritated. It left quite quickly afterwards and as I was walking home mid afternoon, some of the strongest gusts I can remember here, which at times made walking very difficult. They had to be approaching 50mph and likely boosted by the wind tunnel effect between taller buildings.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 1

Posted

The Saharan Sand effects were also exacerbated by intense wildfires that were ongoing in Portugal at the time, seeing daylight turn from a typical blue summer hue to the dusty yellow/red was eery and somewhat reminded me of the lighting effect that I saw during the Solar Eclipse in Turkey just before it completely dropped to 'twilight' and then darkness.

64.thumb.jpg.81f19a3e0e8e6b41259f071b3a9acfa3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

At Pagham, I remember how quite dark and stormy it looked with yellowy and orangey coloured cloud, but there was only a light shower. 

• Like 1