Jump to content
Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Stratosphere and Polar Vortex Watch 2020


SqueakheartLW
 Share

Recommended Posts

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
Posted
  • Location: Scunthorpe
  • Location: Scunthorpe

    Noticed they have added a bias correction to the CFS runs on weather is cool

    u10serie.thumb.png.e14c393969ad18f624d221d621778f25.png

    I don't want that top one to happen. We don't want "POLAR VORTEX OF DOOM PART 2"

    Notice how it also ramps up in the most convenient place too, as soon as December begins

    Are they onto something again or is this a response to the last 2 winters when the vortex got its act together as soon as winter arrived

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Scunthorpe
  • Location: Scunthorpe
    On 22/09/2020 at 08:56, Daniel* said:

    It’s quite interesting ECM 00z almost splits the vortex having a bit of a hard time so far.

    0CC3C2C7-BEB9-424C-B5F1-31CFC21095B8.thumb.png.333f1b4e156ab8abe8bba4c0e3156fe2.png

    We want the vortex split in winter, not now as it has plenty of time to get its act together again before winter

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Crewe, Cheshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
  • Location: Crewe, Cheshire
    1 hour ago, SqueakheartLW said:

    Noticed they have added a bias correction to the CFS runs on weather is cool

    u10serie.thumb.png.e14c393969ad18f624d221d621778f25.png

    I don't want that top one to happen. We don't want "POLAR VORTEX OF DOOM PART 2"

    Notice how it also ramps up in the most convenient place too, as soon as December begins

    Are they onto something again or is this a response to the last 2 winters when the vortex got its act together as soon as winter

    Even most of the bias corrected members are below average into December 🙂

    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Hoyland,barnsley,south yorkshire(100m asl)
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
  • Location: Hoyland,barnsley,south yorkshire(100m asl)

    Just a couple of snippets.

     

     

    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl

    Recent years I think have brought a rather weak ragged vortex in November only for it to ramp into full gear come December, last year did this. We've had quite a few Novembers with spells of calm anticyclonic cold weather at times, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019.

     

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
    2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

    Recent years I think have brought a rather weak ragged vortex in November only for it to ramp into full gear come December, last year did this. We've had quite a few Novembers with spells of calm anticyclonic cold weather at times, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019.

     

    I think you mean slack cyclonic. Didn’t surpass 1020mb here until the 29th and the average SLP for the month was lower than all 3 winter months. Classic southerly jet stream.

    Shame the PV suddenly blew up in December and sucked everything north again.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Coniston, Cumbria 90m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
  • Location: Coniston, Cumbria 90m ASL
    13 hours ago, MR EXTREMES said:

    jma showing some slight warming will this build further.

    expecting some stratospheric action this year.

    JN240-5.thumb.gif.1de5ac842dac9b56327d0f614e059a34.gif

    'Ave Iiiit!!!

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: New Ash green 150M / 500 FT
  • Location: New Ash green 150M / 500 FT

    Todays stratospheric zonal wind sets a date record for the weakest ever for 27/09 at 7.9M/S

    Sadly the correlation between these date records & the strength of the subsequent DJF zonal wind is very low.

    • Like 3
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: portsmouth uk
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
  • Location: portsmouth uk
    18 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

    Todays stratospheric zonal wind sets a date record for the weakest ever for 27/09 at 7.9M/S

    Sadly the correlation between these date records & the strength of the subsequent DJF zonal wind is very low.

    absolutely no surprise with the dominate heights in the northern hemisphere so far.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
  • Weather Preferences: Anything except blazing hot summers!
  • Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    On 26/09/2020 at 09:17, MR EXTREMES said:

    jma showing some slight warming will this build further.

    expecting some stratospheric action this year.

    JN240-5.thumb.gif.1de5ac842dac9b56327d0f614e059a34.gif

    Please not lets see endless T+384 strat charts again this year, it's a completely futile exercise. (Not aimed at you mate, there's a few that did it all the way through last winter, and it's completely pointless at that range).

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Broadmayne a few miles north of Weymouth in Dorset
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
  • Location: Broadmayne a few miles north of Weymouth in Dorset
    On 27/09/2020 at 11:59, Steve Murr said:

    Todays stratospheric zonal wind sets a date record for the weakest ever for 27/09 at 7.9M/S

    Sadly the correlation between these date records & the strength of the subsequent DJF zonal wind is very low.

    Quite so Steve 7.9m/s in Mid December and we might be talking something interesting. Otherwise it means nothing at the moment.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Nuneaton,Warks. 128m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
  • Location: Nuneaton,Warks. 128m asl
    11 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

    Quite so Steve 7.9m/s in Mid December and we might be talking something interesting. Otherwise it means nothing at the moment.

    Yes it's notable how quickly things can change in late Autumn. 

    There has been plenty of recent October's with northern blocking but by late November the PV usually becomes dominant. 

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Crewe, Cheshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
  • Location: Crewe, Cheshire
    3 hours ago, phil nw. said:

    Yes it's notable how quickly things can change in late Autumn. 

    There has been plenty of recent October's with northern blocking but by late November the PV usually becomes dominant. 

    In recent years we haven't quite achieved HP in the correct places to promote trop led blocking feedbacks. That has allowed the strat to dominate the trop as it strengthened.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
    4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

    In recent years we haven't quite achieved HP in the correct places to promote trop led blocking feedbacks. That has allowed the strat to dominate the trop as it strengthened.

    Suspect the PV was weak throughout Autumns of 08, 09 and 10, lots of northern blocking in those years, also 12, any coincidence all four autumns were followed by cold or very cold winters, with all Decembers featuring some degree of cold, not so potent in 08 and 12 but it occurred in both years early on and later in 08, 09 notable cold second half, and 10 significant until the near end.

    Recent Autumns, have featured relatively weak PV states, but as said not quite accompanied by the feedback needed to give it a proper bashing come start of the winter. End product has been lots of mid lattitude heights, or heights directly overhead especially in November or weaker heights to the north and cyclonic conditions overhead as happened last year. 

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK

    image.thumb.png.fb50e4a7b9e56e1f565ea39dcfcb93ed.png

    Looks like the slow start will soon be but a distant memory...

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: South Oxfordshire
  • Location: South Oxfordshire

    I take no credit, more Simon Lee teasing from twitter - is this the new twitter thread? 😜

     

     

    Edited by Griff
    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Scunthorpe
  • Location: Scunthorpe
    1 hour ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

    September 2020 7.95

    https://psl.noaa.gov/data/correlation/qbo.data

    We see the strengthening of the polar vortex.

    ecmwfzm_u_f240.png

    We also see the strengthening of the WQBO too to a moderate WQBO now. Guess that probably rules us out of an average weak WQBO for autumn 2020 then which is bad news for a colder winter unless the east based La Nina and low solar activity can override the WQBO signal

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
    3 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

    We also see the strengthening of the WQBO too to a moderate WQBO now. Guess that probably rules us out of an average weak WQBO for autumn 2020 then which is bad news for a colder winter unless the east based La Nina and low solar activity can override the WQBO signal

    So many conflicting signals for the winter ahead!

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
    5 minutes ago, Don said:

    So many conflicting signals for the winter ahead!

    That's why I never pay 'signs' much attention, Don! Though, having said that, I did get a tad carried-away with the high expectations for winter 2018-19!:oldsad:

    • Like 4
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
     Share

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...