Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

The sky is cloudy to the west, less so to the east and the sun is getting through, the ground is damp and the trees are still although it looks chilly; not a bad morning.

Temperature currently 8.3deg.C down from a max of 8.8deg.C at 02:11 and up from a min of 7.0 at 08:50, humidity 94%, wind very light from the southeast with a max gust of 10mph at 01:44, pressure is 994.4hPa rising quickly and there's been 13.4mm of rain since midnight and 23.6mm in the last 24 hours.

Today I shall be walking to the post box to post a letter, because that's what we do for entertainment in a locked down village.

• Like 5
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to see some areas getting a bit of a top up today - while this was sort of on the radar (to pardon the pun, especially given the amount of false echoes I saw nearby to start with) it wasn't reall

Posted Images

Thankfully a quieter start to the week after the mayhem of the weekend with the rain. That is the trend for the week thankfully time to dry out

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Sanserit said:

I have so much to learn...I'm assuming this is looking good for cold weather in mid November? Is there potential for snow as a result?

If it comes off like that yes 😂 you will quickly learn it’s rarely simple getting colder air to the UK there are quite a few things that can mess things up often leading to the toys and prams becoming dangerous objects in the mad model thread 🥴🤣 I have done a little diagram for the possible first scenario in around a week or so the black line shows what we don’t want to see which is too much of the energy and lower pressure going over the ridge / higher pressure causing it to flatten and messing up the easterly whereas the red line is what we are looking for with the lower pressure going to the south which gives u every chance of getting the flow from the east. There is the third option which I have been showing which is the low pressure just remains to the west and the Scandinavian high basically does all the work and gives any cold pools to the east the shot of coming around the high toward us which is probably the ideal scenario 856E1ED0-BF19-443E-BE10-E463DFFC99BD.thumb.jpeg.8ceaa9ca4546f9e7ff471212c3b25333.jpeg

often the models can over do the strength of the low pressure and underestimate the strength of the higher pressure.

• Like 4

And like magic here’s one showing what I was describing anim_yfu0.gif another that is good too 216176AE-4266-4E8D-B823-F1D4B7A15281.thumb.png.6d4bfc6ed95656605849a37ca76fc966.png

the key will be once we start to see the pressure building in Scandinavia (hopefully 🤣) then see where things go from there.

• Like 3

Thank you @Kirkcaldy Weather for your explanation 🙂

A reasonable day on Deeside, ground still wet as dogs came back sodden from their walk but it seemed pleasant enough. High of 12.8c, currently 5.6c and dropping so perhaps tomorrow will be the day my summer bedding finally dies off?

Meteo Group are forecasting a high of around 16c for here on Thursday on my phone's weather app - whatever happened to the damp, foggy and cold bonfire nights of my childhood?! Ok, so that was over 40 years ago and things have changed drastically since then but is it wrong to dream of them returning? Whatever happened to the gulf stream switching off? Ho hum, I'm off to watch a snowy film on the box to reminisce of days gone by.

• Like 5

Nice benign day, grey but a light grey so at least the sun made a attempt to break the Aberdeen Permagloom™ shield.

Light winds and a max of 11c.

Managed to fill a vase with fresh Dahlia flowers from the garden this afternoon, don't ever recall being able to do that this late in the season.

• Like 5

Temperature currently as low as it's been today at 6.3deg.C, it's breezy at around 3 to 6mph southeasterly with a maximum gust of 12mph at 22:53, and it's raining at a rate of 3.8mm/hr with a total for today of 22.2mm so far.

• Like 3

It feels like we're stuck between the wet and windy weather of the last couple of days and the promised land of frost, mist and sunshine that's supposed to be here in a day or two. This morning it's just damp and dull.

Temperature currently 5.4deg.C up from a minimum of 3.9deg.C at 08:41, humidity is 96%, the wind has dropped to nothing, pressure is 1014.1hPa rising quickly, the rain is off and on with a total for today of 18.0mm and 28.8mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 6

Or as those of us up on the moors call them, 'bottom feeders'.

(Apologies for this unnecessary, bordering on Trumpian, decent into factionalism. I shall go and thrash myself with an old copy of Meteorology Monthly.)

Sun's out.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
adding a superfluous weather bit

Lovely day today but baltic with it! Currently 8c but bitter wee wind helping to bring temp down a tad. Clear blue skies too, something not seen here for a while! Fire on, munching my way through a packet of jelly babies! 🍬😁

• Like 4

It's been a day of Aberdeenshire PermagloomTM with a high of 11.7c at 2pm and it's steadily dropped since to current temperature of 2.8c. It's noticeably more chilly when I'm standing at the door trying to shoosh the gobby dog who just wants to let everyone know that a leaf has blown past! The other one has more sense and sits by my feet in the warmth. 

image.png

• Like 6

Sunshine most of the way here today after the overnight rain. Max of 8C with light winds. Down to 4.3C now with starry skies.

Looks to me as if the building Scandi high in the next couple of weeks will be too far South to give us anything of interest up here at least at first but you never know.

• Like 5

Mrs Mair Snaw has just shown me a "beautiful house for rent" i say "location" she repies "Broughty Ferry" i kid thee not i spat my San Miguel down myself and replied with " on ya stained glass windowing own" 😂😂😂😂

Sorry @Hawesy...😂😂😂

• Like 1

A very uninspiring start to the day with low cloud and drizzle.

Never judge a day by its first instalment though as by the end of the morning the sun broke through and the afternoon had plenty of sunshine.

Not warm mind with a max of 8c, but with light winds felt fine outside.

Temperature dropping like a stone at sunset but a veil of cloud has arrived in the last hour which has allowed the temperature to recover to 5c.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Looks to me as if the building Scandi high in the next couple of weeks will be too far South to give us anything of interest up here at least at first but you never know.

I’m feeling pretty confident about it I’ve been mentioning the scandi high pattern for a while now and it’s slowly starting to come together 😈 ❄️ the 850 hpa temps to the east are also being shown really quite cold for the time of year with -16 to -20 850s often cropping up like the BFTE.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I’m feeling pretty confident about it I’ve been mentioning the scandi high pattern for a while now and it’s slowly starting to come together 😈 ❄️ the 850 hpa temps to the east are also being shown really quite cold for the time of year with -16 to -20 850s often cropping up like the BFTE.

Hope that you are right. What I fear is more like this with winds up here from the SW so cool and possibly cloudy with the far NW being milder, windy and damp.

D0FE8B3A-F2AD-45CB-B5CD-73904D21EAAA.png
Some potential there though looking again!

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

A sharp sunny morning today with mainly clear sky to the south making up for mainly cloudy sky to the north and not a breath of wind or hint of rain in evidence.

Temperature currently 8.3deg.C up from a minimum of 3.4deg.C at 05:27, humidity is 92%, wind is zero, pressure is 1034.3hPa rising quickly and there's been no rain since midnight and only 0.6mm in the last 24 hours.

• Like 2
  • Paul locked this topic