Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Just to echo others on that fantastic post @LomondSnowstorm - let’s see how we do here. NW should be decent but got some concerns about my lack of height here (30 m asl) and the shielding hills of Argyll which could gobble up all the snow!

still though, nice to have some seasonal weather coming up. Apologies for my previous grinch posts, probably spending too much time with the fantasists in the model thread.

some amount of rain has fallen here today, hoping it becomes snow before too long.

• Like 6

Posted
15 minutes ago, edo said:

Did someone say Perth South of Perth probably right

Ha well the UKV model has been incredibly consistent today with bringing snow across Perth in the last 5 or 6 runs and i am also from Perth too but about 4 or 5 miles SE of the city centre so i am in the valley, however i do think a few cm could accumulate even in the lower parts of Perth but more than that possibly near the Broxden area and higher elevations. Tomorrow evening is worth watching. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Nice @MAXcrazystormI'm off for 2 glorious weeks so can lamppost watch all hours....

A week away but I do like the look of this a week away, easterlys keep showing up and no beasts from the east but with the sea temps warmer perhaps can generate some decent events in this cold spell which it does now appear like its going to be an actual spell. 

Screenshot_20201226-210706_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
2 minutes ago, edo said:

Nice @MAXcrazystormI'm off for 2 glorious weeks so can lamppost watch all hours....

A week away but I do like the look of this a week away, easterlys keep showing up and no beasts from the east but with the sea temps warmer perhaps can generate some decent events in this cold spell which it does now appear like its going to be an actual spell. 

Screenshot_20201226-210706_Chrome.jpg

It looks to stay cold even until after the new year so any snow shouldn't melt to quickly at least, though could be a big ice issue. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Good luck to everyone, I love the anticipation of what could happen. Hopefully this forum keeps busy with pictures and reports of snow over the next few months. After what has been a tough year for us all we deserve a decent memorable snow event  

• Like 8

Posted

Breezy grey Aberdeenshire Permagloom™ day.  Thermometer read a max of 7.1c, wind chill made it feel positively Siberian (Baltic these days is more ambiguous what with climate change and the like ).

Dry though and temperature on the way down, now 4.6c.

The snow from Christmas Eve all gone now bar the remains of the kids snowman; hopefully a refresh for that in the coming days.

• Like 4

Posted

Absolutely @stormeh it saves needing to read the model thread for a weather hit when this place is busy. It's also amazing having LS back... 

• Like 5

Posted

The wind has died off and rain stopped, hope the cold arrives with a vengeance as the ground is so wet, going to take a lot of snaw to start settling here. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

The wind has died off and rain stopped, hope the cold arrives with a vengeance as the ground is so wet, going to take a lot of snaw to start settling here. 

I used to worry about this but as long as the intensity is there it's amazing how snow can start lying on the saturated ground, never pleasant underneath though would always prefer a few hard frosts to prepare for lovely snow. 

@Mair Snawmust be passed out from all his Xmas beers. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
59 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

probably spending too much time with the fantasists in the model thread.

I haven't been in there much the last couple of days but decided to have a peek. It appears that at the prospect of a few snowflakes it's largely turned into a IMBY feeding frenzy. 

Windy here at the moment, coming from the West. Probably the low dropping down from the North that's causing that, with the colder air behind. Temp currently 4C after a high of 5.8C just after midday. Not really much snow left here now, which is a real pity as going forward it would have survived quite a while at the forecast temps. 

Doubt I'll see much more than an isolated snow shower here in the coming week, but I'm in no position to complain. That's me had two lying snow events already this winter. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

The storm, such as it is, made a brief appearance earlier this evening as the continuous drum roll on the rooflights gave evidence that it was pishing doon fit tae burst.

Temperature down to 4.5deg.C, wind 4 to 14mph generally southwesterly with a 28mph max gust at 17:56, pressure is 974.5hPa dropping like a stone as it was this morning, and the rainfall total for today is now 13mm, dew point is 3deg.C.

Actually, the rainfall total might be higher than I've recorded but as the precipitation I've seen has been of the horizontal variety it probably hasn't been collected in the rain thingy. Someone in Norway will be collecting it.

• Like 4

Posted

I think my radar app is being ambitious 

Screenshot_20201226-224900_Google.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, edo said:

I think my radar app is being ambitious 

Screenshot_20201226-224900_Google.jpg

Nice Edo, I hope it's right... my expectations took a hit when I checked the BBC forecast for Perth and not a proper snowflake in sight - just the usual cold and bright they always predict during cold weather

Posted

Bit of sleet in the shower rattling through at the moment. Quite surprised, didn’t expect any hint of anything other than rain here for a while yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

Nice Edo, I hope it's right... my expectations took a hit when I checked the BBC forecast for Perth and not a proper snowflake in sight - just the usual cold and bright they always predict during cold weather

I'm quietly optimistic we will see plenty showers at times and small accumulations over next 5 days... And after that hopeful of something meatier. Cant be worse than last year 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)
1 hour ago, Mr Frost said:

First of all these two posts/pictures above - perfect Christmas Eve and Christmas Day scenes! That is seriously the absolute dream - wonderful/stunning festive pictures there! Thanks for sharing those with us. :santa-emoji:

Hope everyone on this thread had a wonderful Christmas!

How exciting is the current outlook!?

The risk of heavy, thundery wintry/snow showers tomorrow for starters.

UKV snapshots below:

27/12

07:00

EA0C87FF-74E0-49C0-BC5C-D9CA1C6A8960.thumb.png.2db1d221b05f94452c7dc53b97f0909c.png

08:00

14453207-A802-4F93-BD6E-4E531D5CA453.thumb.png.cfc057bbe7b008ba0ee702fa99ca788c.png

Main event later that evening/overnight:

19:00

F742A0E5-3ABB-4B64-AA75-F9FC4ACE050C.thumb.png.1a739382b4934b88f300607b768a899a.png

23:00

D583F3D3-E364-4D67-A56D-1181C826943D.thumb.png.94b7a41a95f44c625ce52d14cb7b97ea.png

28/12

02:00

121F4B55-283A-45BC-8C3E-1929AF5DA6F5.thumb.png.dd9b67610e63a19eb61df66d471d8775.png

Track/detail as ever subject to change but as we all know it’s all about nowcasting, radar watching and looking up to the sky/lamp post! :snowman-emoji:

Great posts in here as usual from everyone - good luck to you all!

Cheers! 

Hopefully now starting to see high res models agreeing on the track of this. Headed into the model thread and looks like Icon is now inline with UKV so hopefully good news judging by comments.

Bonus is GFS looking ahead to NY and beyond has backtracked from earlier and joined it's bigger cousin (GFSp) in better outlook. Temperatures really on the slide from tomorrow onwards. Ice, snaw and freezing fog order of the day.

Fingers crossed

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Bit of sleet in the shower rattling through at the moment. Quite surprised, didn’t expect any hint of anything other than rain here for a while yet. 

Same here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Very intense squalls coming through there, some bright red on the radar. Briefly cleared again so hopefully a bit of drying out although the radar looks very active. A notable drop in dewpoints to the west already - Glen Ogle down to -1C dewpoint, the Hebrides appears to be uniformly 0C which is no mean feat! 

All seems broadly in line with model projections, if anything a tad slower but that's as much based on the low being a little slower moving based on some of the pressure observations than perhaps modelled rather than any major issues so far. 

Fingers crossed there'll be something wintry to wake up to for some of you...

• Like 2

Posted

Harmonie looking interesting for a chunk of us aswell on Sunday night early Monday morning... A late night potentially 

Screenshot_20201227-003737_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Not much rain over here today but quite windy. Definitely snow at altitude now. Here us the A 93 just South of the ski area.

38D9B76D-CBAE-473B-BD6A-9211D3BA6146.jpeg

• Like 8