Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Still a tropical +1.3c here (max 4.8c). I was hoping to beat @Benvironment for the first air frost of the autumn/winter too! 😄

Heres our problem @Kirkcaldy Weather wet bulb/baw freezing level. You want it to be at or below 200m for snow to accumulate on low ground (very crude interpretation). 

8869568F-AA84-44CE-B1CD-251E27C42E72.gif

• Like 5
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to see some areas getting a bit of a top up today - while this was sort of on the radar (to pardon the pun, especially given the amount of false echoes I saw nearby to start with) it wasn't reall

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Still a tropical +1.3c here (max 4.8c). I was hoping to beat @Benvironment for the first air frost of the autumn/winter too! 😄

Heres our problem @Kirkcaldy Weather wet bulb/baw freezing level. You want it to be at or below 200m for snow to accumulate on low ground (very crude interpretation). 

8869568F-AA84-44CE-B1CD-251E27C42E72.gif

We're down to -0.4C!!!!!! 🙂

• Like 5
3 hours ago, 101_North said:

Every winter she does it! Without fail 🤣😂 Jumps in the car without clearing the windscreen, turns on the iced up wipers and boof! Rubber stripped and connector broken! Given the weather forecast for tomorrow morning there's no choice except an evening trip to Halfords to pay through the nose for something that I could get online for less than half the price!   🤬🤬

I finished reading this then popped outside to see Mr Snowidea who was defrosting the car so I could drive to Tesco, only to find him holding the drivers side wiper blade in his hand. So not just a female thing @101_North

1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Damn. +0.6c here. 😊

+0.8°C here right now and max of 2.5°C this afternoon. These measurements have satisfied me that the weather station is accurate and not recording multiple fake air frosts for sure! 

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Norrance said:

Here is a link to Pauls explanation of dewpoint in the learning area. Hope that helps a bit. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/learning/basics/dewpoint-r81/?do=getNewComment&d=1&id=81
There are many other subjects in the learning area that may also be of use. Our expert on wet bulb and its importance for snow to fall in the Regional thread is @Hawsey 

edit. See that I was beaten to it. There are very helpful people in this thread.

Thanks bud, I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Will give it a thorough read 🙂

• Like 3

Been tracking that too and thinking the same BFT.   Don't know the 850's tho'.   Do you?   I think

I'm right in saying that warm air pockets in the 850's can scupper the precipitation type?   If the upper air is conducive, looks like a direct hit for east/east central and southern Scotland?

Don't get too excited yet Mardatha,  I've only been on here 16 years  so  I'm probably wrong!  😊

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 3

Weather on the change, some cloud now and a slight breeze has started.

Temperature rising as well, hit a low of -5.3c at 20:20 going by the weather station - now a "balmy" -4.1c.

• Like 5

I sneaked a peek at the 850s and they don't look cold enough to me.  May start off with a bit of wet snow/sleet but looks as if it will turn to rain quite soon afterwards?

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

27F  after a maximum of 36F this afternoon  with frost lying in shade all day here so looks as though there will some very icy surfaces in the night when the rain starts. Doing a bit of reminiscing tonight so thought I would go back to school days  farenhight. One of those farmers who can"t give up acres either.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9

Light snow just starting here as the ppn starts to move in! How long will it last though?

Edit: About 2 minutes was the answer. Nothing falling now despite the radar. Not sure I have the energy to wait it out for the heavier stuff to move in!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4