Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Morning.

Looks as if it will be on the showery side today.   Had a few heavy ones overnight.   Still, anything is better than the misty murk that we have had here lately!

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to see some areas getting a bit of a top up today - while this was sort of on the radar (to pardon the pun, especially given the amount of false echoes I saw nearby to start with) it wasn't reall

Posted Images

Had a nice lunch down at the cafe earlier and noted a fair bit of wind on the way back.

Temperature currently 8.2deg.C up from a minimum of 6.5deg.C at 09:02, humidity 86%, wind variable between 2 and 17mph southerly, pressure is 1003.5hPa rising slowly and there's been 11mm of rain since midnight.

(the wind mentioned above was a meteorological effect, not a gastronomical one - just to be clear)

• Like 5
5 hours ago, AFC Snow said:

Signs of a northerly starting to appear out of nowhere? 🤞

Aye, Thursday and especially Fri & Sat next week could be rather chilly. Cold enough for a flurry if there's precipitation around. 

• Like 7

Some bright intervals here today and just a couple of light showers. A cold wind though despite the temp topping 10C briefly. Now 6C.

Incidentally I don't think I can remember ever seeing as many geese flying over my house heading down towards the Tay  as there were at dusk today. Must have been at least twenty large skeins. What does it mean?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Aye, Thursday and especially Fri & Sat next week could be rather chilly. Cold enough for a flurry if there's precipitation around. 

From mwis.

Planning Outlook

Generally unsettled as a series of weather systems move across Britain from the Atlantic. Frequent upland gales, sometimes severe gales. Considerable rainfall totals over western mountains. Mild southwesterlies return early in the new week, but indications favour a colder pattern developing later next week as the prevailing airflow turns northwesterly, resulting in higher mountains being more commonly sub-zero with snowfalls at times. Don't miss our latest video content on the MWIS YouTube channel, also available at mwis.org.uk

• Like 6

Morning all! A bit boring here today, grey and murky, so since there's no wind or rain I guess that log chopping is the order of the day. Yes, I caught a glimpse of the forecast for later in the week so best get as much chopped as I can.  it would seem that there may be some white stuff falling from the sky, but since I'm usually disappointed whenever it is forecast I'll not bother looking out the snowshoes just yet. 😆

• Like 9

I'm in a quandary; I don't approve of Amazon, never have, and I don't use them for anything, however the autumn rugby internationals are on their channel and my pal from up the road has a thing called a firestick that he is fitting to my tv at this very moment. Should I send him and his firestick home or just sit here with this vast collection of beers and see what unfolds...?

Temperature currently 9.0deg.C up from a minimum of 7.7deg.C at 04:29, humidity is 92%, wind is between 4 and 10mph south to southeasterly, pressure is 998.4hPa and dropping like a rock, there's been 4.8mm of rain today so far under a completely cloudy sky.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

I'm in a quandary; I don't approve of Amazon, never have, and I don't use them for anything, however the autumn rugby internationals are on their channel and my pal from up the road has a thing called a firestick that he is fitting to my tv at this very moment. Should I send him and his firestick home or just sit here with this vast collection of beers and see what unfolds...?

Temperature currently 9.0deg.C up from a minimum of 7.7deg.C at 04:29, humidity is 92%, wind is between 4 and 10mph south to southeasterly, pressure is 998.4hPa and dropping like a rock, there's been 4.8mm of rain today so far under a completely cloudy sky.

Ah, Amazon? 

Well then; if, like moi, you're built like an afterthought to the brick sheethouse, you'll understand just why I'm havering, over whether or not I should buy a chest-expander, from Amazon...?

Meanwhile, it's dull and dreich here in 'sunny' Beccles, just now!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

Just using a firestick myself for the first time. Amazed I could get it to work but unfortunately the Scotland team are not working too well😟

Mostly cloudy here with a few showers at 9.0C

edit. Just as I say that they score and go ahead😀

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, Norrance said:

Some bright intervals here today and just a couple of light showers. A cold wind though despite the temp topping 10C briefly. Now 6C.

Incidentally I don't think I can remember ever seeing as many geese flying over my house heading down towards the Tay  as there were at dusk today. Must have been at least twenty large skeins. What does it mean?

I saw 9 large skeins of pink footed Icelandic geese at the beginning of the week and I thought that was a lot!   I normally start seeing them around mid September until mid October on their way to Loch Leven National Nature Reserve which is just over the hill from me.  This year however, I didn't see/hear any at all until mid October.   Maybe the weather in Iceland was milder than usual for leaving at their normal time?  Don't know really, but they all seem to be getting a move on now.

Click picture in link.

BarnacleGeese-D3334.jpg?itok=N3T2px5v
WWW.NATURE.SCOT

Flocks of geese from Greenland, Svalbard and Iceland make their way to Scotland in impressive numbers every winter.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 8

Max of 10.7°C, brightness then grey, then rain and this evening that line of torrential downpours didn't disappoint. 

PXL_20201114_155514334.jpg

Couple of minutes after taking the shot, I was distracted by an animal moving in front of the trees. Black, size of a doberman, moving fast and reminiscent of a cat.... Ran until out of sight down the valley in the rapidly failing light. Nobody else about - all very spooky. Am going to report the sighting on the big cat site.... 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

I saw 9 large skeins of pink footed Icelandic geese at the beginning of the week and I thought that was a lot!   I normally start seeing them around mid September until mid October on their way to Loch Leven National Nature Reserve which is just over the hill from me.  This year however, I didn't see/hear any at all until mid October.   Maybe the weather in Iceland was milder than usual for leaving at their normal time?  Don't know really, but they all seem to be getting a move on now.

Click picture in link.

BarnacleGeese-D3334.jpg?itok=N3T2px5v
WWW.NATURE.SCOT

Flocks of geese from Greenland, Svalbard and Iceland make their way to Scotland in impressive numbers every winter.

Funnily enough tonight a more usual number of geese came over around dusk. I wonder if at least some of last night's big numbers were later than usual new arrivals that have now moved on further South? This year we had some early arrivals at the beginning of September then it was very quiet until a couple of weeks ago when greater numbers started appearing.
Raining here now and a bit milder at 9.8C.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

Re the geese I heard them a few times a few months back but have heard them a few times again over the last few weeks usually pretty late at night. 
will be interesting to see if any ❄️ comes at the end of next week but there’s @shuggee ‘s -10 850hpa that he’s struggled to spot over the last few winters 🤣😃 9BDF0157-D20E-4667-A77A-E75F7B3C54E9.thumb.png.c46ec173d135152251f550e6946ad722.png

• Like 5
53 minutes ago, Klippie said:

What's everyones thoughts for this winter...cold with piles of snaw or damp wet mild pish.

Best chance of cold before the end of the year then increasingly mild and wet Jan & Feb. That's the theory with La Nina, so I read.

It's not bad here so far:

20201115_091459.thumb.jpg.40e043292be19a656b4a8a680bbbb5f0.jpg20201115_090216.thumb.jpg.e61e903a1a022f57af51a5df9b42628d.jpg20201115_091854.thumb.jpg.145e7ddac63f2cfa0f32e2ad09efdb27.jpg

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 4

Dampish morning, the sort of damp that arrives at 13mm/hour, but I'm not letting it disturb my good humour. Watched the rugby yesterday and if what they say about it taking a good team to win while playing badly then Scotland were blooming brilliant. I haven't seen any of the widely reported skeins of geese but after the Scotland results at football and rugby this week I fully expect to see a formation of pigs overhead, flying northwards to pick up some snow clouds...

Temperature currently 9.3deg.C up from a minimum of 7.7deg.C at 07:20, humidity is 94%, wind currently very light westerly, pressure is 982.2hPa falling and there's been 9.0mm of rain since midnight and 11.6mm in the last 24 hours.

• Like 4

Morning.

Well,  this is it so far.   8.9c  with an E wind of 2.9mph.  Signs of it breaking from the east though.   We live in hope!

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4