Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Made the excuse that the streets were to icy and dangerous to go for a walk with the kids so I could stay in and watch the Old Firm game 

• Like 9

Posted
46 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Here, up the hill, the showers are still wintry, although not really cold enough for it to be lying. We still have a wet covering from overnight but it has thawed some. In fact it's just started snowing again, heavy shower of wet looking snow.

It was pretty wintry on the hill at the back of the house this morning. It sits at 280 metres asl and had a few centimetres. Cairn William looks like it caught a bit of snow, not unexpected given its height.

Plenty of cold conditions during December that didn't translate into notable or significant snowfall.

Perhaps January will deliver...

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

It does

The upstairs back window is a different story. The Pentlands are behind there somewhere! 

20210102_132308_HDR-1746x3492.thumb.jpg.89df30eb1f137b5d6c1bc7b1fd235ecf.jpg

In all my life I have never wanted such a beautiful, living thing, to meet such a horrible chainsaw inspired death!!

Looks a bit close to the house?!

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Hairy Celt said:

Looks a bit close to the house?!

Exactly. Id be checking the house insurance disclaimer on trees and maximum distance from the house. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
10 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Exactly. Id be checking the house insurance disclaimer on trees and maximum distance from the house. 

I'd just take the ****er down. And burn it.

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

I'd just take the ****er down. And burn it.

It's removal has been arranged! It's so close you could lean out and touch it! 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

gfseuw-16-192.thumb.png.955ace939a5741bddf4d61f19d0425d0.png

Think Peterhead needs to be named the snowless capital of Scotland if even the Western Isles are covered!

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny Leith said:

Aye, seems inevitable. It's overcast here now and if the onshore breeze picks up then the warm up begins, well here at least  - although it's all relative of course.  The ground is cold though so maybe a slow yucky thaw for a couple of days. 

Temp back down below freezing here but cloud is building a bit!

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sunny Leith said:

Aye, seems inevitable. It's overcast here now and if the onshore breeze picks up then the warm up begins, well here at least  - although it's all relative of course.  The ground is cold though so maybe a slow yucky thaw for a couple of days. 

Yeah will be a real shame if we are on the wrong side of marginal but it’s usually -10c uppers needed here when it’s an easterly but we can hope ! Especially as looks like potential for lots of showers / streamers next few days ..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

Temp back down below freezing here but cloud is building a bit!

Was over by Bruntsfield Links earlier, sledging was still going full tilt and they've got the runs glass hard by now. I hope they get another day out of it. We're all snaw fans on here anyway,  but locally I have to say these last few days have been a real tonic at the end of a bloody long year ☺️

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
8 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Yeah will be a real shame if we are on the wrong side of marginal but it’s usually -10c uppers needed here when it’s an easterly but we can hope ! Especially as looks like potential for lots of showers / streamers next few days ..

Aye no complaints JS, things have gone right for us the last few days and its been enjoyable. Plenty of interest in the next 10 days and beyond, maybe we get lucky again !

• Like 8

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

The exact location of the showers not worth taking as 100%, likely to change from run to run but latest wrf nmm 2km (likely that front on the fax chart) as winds start to turn to the east brings snow showers in from early morning image.thumb.gif.fdb40c932b54405cc6bad00dd2228760.gif 

✅ list

temperatures will be near freezing like recent days

well in the sub 528 dam air 

850 hpa around -6 getting colder from time to time 

Again the only thing that will likely alter the precip now and again will be the dewpoints which at worst look to be +3 in the North Sea but it’s whether those will come on land the majority of the time ?‍♂️ And any heavier precip will help bring the dewpoint down so I don’t think it will be a huge issue.

You seem confident using the term Snow showers??

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
3 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

You seem confident using the term Snow showers??

Yeah fingers crossed especially if the showers are heavy enough that should eliminate any marginality, radar and dewpoint watching will be best

• Like 6