Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
6 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Met-Office outlooks seem ok

415817476_Screenshot_20201230-151026_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9fc1036436507d18d6d30827c655540c.jpg104596669_Screenshot_20201230-151045_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.9d0f253fd2837e482552efa13d2d2c47.jpg

That reads fine. No doubt about that.

The problem is the Mets 10 day trend is somewhat different. Strong easterly winds next week but the source of the air is the Med.

• Like 4

Posted

A day of two halves.

Morning lovely and sunny with a nice crispy white frost covering everything.

Then I learnt I should put more faith in the Met Office as, right enough, there was some snow mid-afternoon which was enough to whiten everything. 

No Narnia photos like previous posts but it's the closest we seem to get here these days.

Snag_184f44.thumb.png.9ed08cc0ca4d11037df513c2d052e7a9.png

Snag_188807.thumb.png.42dae4e33d81b3afdb6f89ca88741ed9.png

Temperature is already rising outside (+0.5c and the shed roof snow is melting) so that scuppers any hope of some snow tomorrow.  Mmm, cold rain, can't wait. 

• Like 9

Posted

A surprise light snow shower here. Radar suggests it should be heavier than it is though! 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
8 minutes ago, 101_North said:

A surprise light snow shower here. Radar suggests it should be heavier than it is though! 

your snow reports are getting boring 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

fab stuff LS........ i look fwd to the jam tomorrow

and by that i mean decent falls next week......maybe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Woke up at 4 with a sore back, very light dusting of snaw ootside I think - unless it's heavy frost, canny see properly. Drinking tea and eating liquorice toffee with Beeglie.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

It has just started here as snow though fairly light. Settling on the ground right away.

Edit. Soon got heavier and turned into graupel. Still -1.4C so not helping the iced up side roads and pavements. How long before it turns to rain?

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted

The heavy rain woke me up around 0530 and its been constant rain since. Further inland, and with elevation, could be  getting hammered with snow.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
39 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

The heavy rain woke me up around 0530 and its been constant rain since. Further inland, and with elevation, could be  getting hammered with snow.

Need to be higher than me as its currently 1.9/1.5C here and has been raining. Local weather station shows that it got back above freezing not long after midnight and the rain dtarted around 3am.

• Like 6

Posted

Netweather radar says sleet just now but lamp post says snow. Temperature is creepy up slowly though...

• Like 4

Posted

Main band just about to hit but what will it be? Temp is -1.5c dp -3.7c so fingers crossed for snow, at least for a while!

That front looks well west too. On current trajectory Edinburgh and the Lothians could be out of ppn pretty quickly! Something @LomondSnowstorm highlighted in that great summary last night!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 5

Posted

It started snowing here 20-25 minutes ago with a temperature of -1C . The snow became more and more sleety as it approached 0C. It’s currently light sleet at 0.3C. I am thinking this is due to the fact that on the skew t chart it wasn’t showing any temperature drop ( slight warming even ) until around 500m elevation. This must be allowing the snow flakes to partly melt. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Now a wintry mix of graupel, rain and snow flakes. Air temp  up to -0.3C A warmer layer somewhere aloft perhaps causing this mix?

edit. Pretty much as Max just posted above. 

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted
18 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Now a wintry mix of graupel, rain and snow flakes. Air temp  up to -0.3C A warmer layer somewhere aloft perhaps causing this mix?

edit. Pretty much as Max just posted above. 

Morning all, plain old rain here in Pittenweem at 0.8c. My hopes of seeing snow for an hour or so are dashed - oh well maybe next time!  Judging by the reports freezing rain must be a concern this morning, as @LomondSnowstorm flagged last night. Not something we see much of in this country.

• Like 8

Posted
44 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Need to be higher than me as its currently 1.9/1.5C here and has been raining. Local weather station shows that it got back above freezing not long after midnight and the rain dtarted around 3am.

Agreed with your elevation point.

The house looks onto Cairn William which sits at 450 meters ASL and the snows disappeared up there. Slightly warmer up this end of the valley at 3C.

Win some, lose some.

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like Edinburgh is about to get a good spell of snow. I notice this area always seems to get snow streamers when showers packing in from the north with any kind of easterly influence! Great place to live i this kind of set-up.

• Like 6