Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted

Fifteenth air frost at -1.2°C. Snow icy and crunchy now. Brrrrr.

Cyril our resident woodpecker is happy for nuts and the other shot last night in moonlight (not a bad phone photo!). 

PXL_20201227_153210998.jpg

PXL_20201227_201729922.NIGHT.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

The proverbial 'damp squid' overnight here. Something fell and the slush it left behind then froze solid. Ice everywhere. Snowcover a bit patchier. Overnight low of -2.1°C and currently hovering just below freezing point. Still looking cauld for the foreseeable. 

"Get the cauld in first..." etc

• Like 7

Posted

Afternoon All

New puppy got me up at 647 this morning. Two espressos later and some weird (wired ?) notion had me out for a dawn dog walk

oh my joy to find the mobile battery dead when I went to take the proverbial frosty sunrise photos

ok so it didn’t snow , plenty of that to come , but just crunching through frosty grass is brilliant in itself

It begins .......

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Overnight min temps here -0.7 C / DP -1.3C, currently 1.7C / DP 0.4C and have visual of the edge of those cells entering the Firth of Forth, wrf nmm still keen on the activity moving through Fife has a NE-SW aligned streamer into tonight. I find it really positive and impressive  that the North Sea isn’t a million miles off how you would expect it to look in a typical cold easterly that’s with uppers of only -2/-4 model trends currently look like we could double that over the next week and a bit so doing a bit of simple working out possibly double the activity and intensity perhaps, still pondering what a BFTE equivalent would equal and also even the wrf nmm 2km which is great with convection looks to have underplayed it so worth noting for other models. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Warnings  2F9BE68E-3675-470E-857A-A9AEAA2C4E2C.thumb.jpeg.7c9cbfb0caf4f923edb795cbbe89da6d.jpeg image.gif.f2ec19d93b9dddfd5d5d1774838be6c6.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
15 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Warnings  2F9BE68E-3675-470E-857A-A9AEAA2C4E2C.thumb.jpeg.7c9cbfb0caf4f923edb795cbbe89da6d.jpeg image.gif.f2ec19d93b9dddfd5d5d1774838be6c6.gif

The East Wemyss snow and ice shield is fully operation ?️?️❄️

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks @Mr Frost although that’s the rain just started here in Pittenweem  Currently 3c.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
1 hour ago, Serac said:

Afternoon All

New puppy got me up at 647 this morning. Two espressos later and some weird (wired ?) notion had me out for a dawn dog walk

oh my joy to find the mobile battery dead when I went to take the proverbial frosty sunrise photos

ok so it didn’t snow , plenty of that to come , but just crunching through frosty grass is brilliant in itself

It begins .......

Oooh photo of new puppy please. This one also had me up early and standing in the frosty garden whispering  "go on, do a poo" at 6.55.

DSC_2034.JPG

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Good to see some potential from the easterly (well more of a northeasterly) later on. There's a bit of a limit on how much we can really get from it as the upper cold pool, which is already quite shallow, will be eroded overnight, but still some decent potential this evening. 1923220758_viewimage(1).thumb.png.b27afa93229fdeebe5e7e6e5c42a2ed4.png

That on the face of it would be fine enough for snow particularly if there's a bit of intensity to ward off what looks to be a very marginal layer around 925hPa. 

Later on in the evening we are likely to see the snow level move to higher altitudes as the surface cold erodes a bit, but this seems to coincide with the showers dying out anyway as the flow turns more northerly. At that stage I think it's unlikely to be a huge problem as clearing skies will bring surface temperatures back down too, so possible some areas can get up to an inch or so and retain cover through tomorrow as well. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I should also say, it's just nice to see proper wintry weather again even if there's not much snow - the Lomonds look stunning today with a pretty thick frost and yesterday evening's dusting intact:IMG_20201228_144805.thumb.jpg.8b726d7d2abe9fc46bad6d32ad25d154.jpg

I can also report that Innsbruck is experiencing similar frustration at a near miss, with 40+cm in South Tirol and the Trentino but very little making it to the other side of the Alps aside from the pesky foehn winds and stupidly low humidity (10% on the nearby mountain!!). 

• Like 6

Posted

Light northerly wind, temperature still below freezing and some impressive clouds building.

Looking east in the direction of Aberdeen.

Snow incoming me thinks.

20201228_145121.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cloud off the coast here too. Max daylight temp has been 0.8C and dewpoint is -1.5C. 

• Like 5

Posted

Think there was a little snow last night but seemed to turn to rain. Today been mostly cloudy but a little sun. Skies are clearing though and it is already chilly. Guessing game of how low we will go tonight

• Like 4

Posted

The GFS shows how marginal it's likely to be tonight - with showers moving into Fife and the Lothians from 6-9pm it also shows this at the 925hPa level:20122821_2812.thumb.gif.72e87c4631bd7b5c6ce7c0d3d401e9a1.gif

Surface temperatures look fine enough away from the immediate coast but it's really a bit above the surface, where the flow is more of a direct easterly for a time, that the marginality sneaks in. The WRF soundings will probably be most useful in placing this in relation to the precipitation because the GFS grid is too coarse but difficult to call either way.

Unfortunately my weather station picked a bad time for the battery to die so until the new ones arrive tomorrow I'm flying blind on conditions here (other than the weather station at the other end of the village on Wunderground). 

• Like 7

Posted

Afternoon all,

Enjoyed a nice walk up Kellie Law from Pittenweem. It’s a modest hill (184m) but affords great views down and across the Forth. Lomonds are clear in the distance. The shower cloud looking towards Anstruther hit us on the walk home. Would have been lovely if it had been snow but instead it was light rain. Currently 2.2c/1.5c. 

8A08421F-D3B9-43B8-9428-CF9890A12D17.jpeg

8D52D296-1DB1-44A1-B287-83DB3C6D5311.jpeg

37C2E608-860C-4E67-AA27-2299BE893F39.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Out to Portree this morning at 9.30, roads fairly clear, a car off the road a few miles from Portree but driver OK. Temp was 3.5 by this time. When I came home at 11.30 the snow had all but disappeared.  Temp is now 0.01c with a beautiful clear sky and an almost full moon. Might be a bit icy out tonight and tomorrow. 

• Like 5