Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted

That front running down the West Coast is pepping up the intensity now, somewhere inland with a bit of elevation will get a good fall of snow. I'm expecting we'll end up with sleet/wet snow here but I'm still hopeful of something better! 

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Decent snow shower here and settling easily. 0.9c / -3.7c 

Yes, decent wee snow shower has made it look very festive in the space of about 5 mins.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

The chances are pretty hopeless for snow if your to the east of Stirling tonight.

Ack Max... that's exactly what I was thinking.... we don't get snow here unless it's a mini ice age lol

Tim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Newly installed light on my go to Lamp Post confirms SNAW !

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
35 minutes ago, edo said:

Fax for midday tomorrow showing a trough down the east side.... Cmon north sea snow machine 

Screenshot_20201227-172924_Chrome.jpg

Yes, it looks like some fetch off the North Sea late tomorrow afternoon and evening is the best shot at snow for the Lothians 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter, hot summer

Snowing here!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Cracking day, slight wind, chill factor felt like - 5! Perfect bike riding weather for the little one .  Fingers crossed for even a flurry to watch tonight but not convinced it will happen. 

IMG_20201227_145932.thumb.jpg.36d60b475e8ea0a3a0ff1c00d1a339ca.jpg

IMG_20201227_145939.thumb.jpg.7c775e7d0e28215bae35b3b1e08e6637.jpg

IMG_20201227_145946.thumb.jpg.d3f97c080d04626c9f508d090f12dd62.jpg

IMG_20201227_143405.thumb.jpg.e23a23d8538d2c7e73d5d694bf1419e4.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Anyone else watching the radar?! image.thumb.png.af9a8320ed2f08249a2f9c490062e212.png

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Anyone else watching the radar?! image.thumb.png.af9a8320ed2f08249a2f9c490062e212.png

Yeah, but looks like rain at the rest and be thankful so it's not looking good for here... Rain/Sleet turning to snow likely here so a slushy mess at best I think! 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

The 12z wrf nmm 2km doesn’t take the precip very far east and watching the radar I don’t think it will be far off the mark but hopefully a decent amount for you westies does show the North Sea pepping up through tomorrow so chances for east coast and Fife hopefully of at least a few wintry showers, it’s a pretty rare evolution where we get the chilly setup and the models recently and in some fashion tonight build an easterly over the next week or so which could see small upgrades run on run which could increase the chances of it being rather snowy a few % until we get it down to the short range models, then it’s the turn of the stratospheric warming to play out and if we get fortunate maybe further reinforcement of an already cooling setup into cold, proper cold then an outside chance of something truly memorable? Long way to go but as I’ve said always had a feeling that this winter had something up it’s sleeve, could this be the beginnings of it setting up? I’m sure it will continue to be fascinating watching it unfold.  :reindeer-emoji:

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The precipitation is not far away from me now. I feel it will be a sleety mess here so I may have to take a wee trip to Eaglesham again tomorrow so the kids can get their snow fix  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
8 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

The 12z wrf nmm 2km doesn’t take the precip very far east and watching the radar I don’t think it will be far off the mark but hopefully a decent amount for you westies does show the North Sea pepping up through tomorrow so chances for east coast and Fife hopefully of at least a few wintry showers, it’s a pretty rare evolution where we get the chilly setup and the models recently and in some fashion tonight build an easterly over the next week or so which could see small upgrades run on run which could increase the chances of it being rather snowy a few % until we get it down to the short range models, then it’s the turn of the stratospheric warming to play out and if we get fortunate maybe further reinforcement of an already cooling setup into cold, proper cold then an outside chance of something truly memorable? Long way to go but as I’ve said always had a feeling that this winter had something up it’s sleeve, could this be the beginnings of it setting up? I’m sure it will continue to be fascinating watching it unfold.  :reindeer-emoji:

Yeah it does look as though it's going to end up a bit too far west for the likes of us unfortunately, should turn to snow as the heavier stuff moves in particularly inland but certainly seems the less snowy scenario for most of Scotland. 

However I wouldn't get too disheartened - the cold is in place now, Edo rightly points out that the North Sea snow machine is still running (even if it is just warming up). The ECMWF is absolutely worth a look if you're a fan of snow near the east coast - some very tasty precipitation and cold enough uppers especially with a slack flow around New Year 

WWW.ECMWF.INT

ECMWF is the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts. We are both a research institute and a 24/7 operational service, producing global...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
26 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Sometimes it feels like that's all I EVER do!  I actually quite miss that old existence pre-internet when you had no idea. You just looked out the window and suddenly, quite unexpectedly, there it was   

A few years ago I toyed with the idea of staying away from weather forecasts altogether for a winter season to see whether I could recapture that childlike  'OOOO! IT'S SNOWING! LOOK MUM, IT'S SNOWING!!!!' wonder but......ugh, I couldn't be bothered

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Meteor M2 satellite went overhead 5 minutes ago and produced this. It's take your pick what might be snow and what might be simple low level cloud. 

7.4Mb first pic so enlarge for detail. 

low2 (2).png

low (2).jpg

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Snap 

It’s pretty light here. With a bit more intensity, it might turn to snow. 

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, JamesM said:

It’s pretty light here. With a bit more intensity, it might turn to snow. 

Yeah, the rest and be thankful and tydrum cams also appear to be showing snow now so some hope for later! 

• Like 1