Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Yesterday after lunch (lentil soup, two bacon rolls, large wedge of chocolate sponge, pot of tea,) the sun came out and it turned into a lovely day.

225941084_niceday.thumb.jpg.8bbc21f7be2665d4dfd77cfcd473464d.jpg

Today isn't like that.

Temperature 8.9deg.C up from 5.4deg.C at midnight, relative humidity is 89%, the wind has slackened to 1 - 5mph southerly from a maximum gust of 18mph at 09:26, pressure is 995.8hPa steady, there's been 0.8mm of rain today and 5.0mm in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 8/8. Oh, and it's already dark.

• Like 8

Posted

Back to Aberdeenshire Permagloom™ - but they promise sunshine tomorrow 

Very wet morning, then dry but overcast the rest of the day.

Fresh SSW/SW wind and actually quite mild with a max of 8.6c.

• Like 6

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
10 hours ago, Quinach said:

Back to Aberdeenshire Permagloom™ - but they promise sunshine tomorrow 

The east must surely be in the running for one of the dullest Decembers on record? To be honest the only coping mechanism I have for winter months like this is getting up into the snow on the higher hills....but that looks like being off limits well into the new year. Ugh, it sucks!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Good morning all! It's a wee bit clearer today so will hopefully venture out for a walk later. I see New York is getting a bit of a pasting with the white stuff. 3 feet in some places.  So according to the charts this is January 1st.  Hhhhhmmm, I doubt it, but we'll see. The charts change so quickly so we'll see how that goes! 

uksnowrisk.png

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
23 hours ago, mistyqueen said:

Phew! 45 minutes of log chopping there! A wee break in the rain forced me out and my timing was just right! Dark clouds coming in now. Am now relaxing with tea and peanut M&M's. Aaaaaaand breathe...... 

Just now, mistyqueen said:

Phew! 45 minutes of log chopping there! A wee break in the rain forced me out and my timing was just right! Dark clouds coming in now. Am now relaxing with tea and peanut M&M's. Aaaaaaand breathe...... 

image.thumb.gif.1b453cba5321a550559dd0deb181cf4a.gif Sounds like you are having a big bit of deja vu there misty

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
5 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

image.thumb.gif.1b453cba5321a550559dd0deb181cf4a.gif Sounds like you are having a big bit of deja vu there misty

NO idea what happened there! Sorted now! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
17 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

The dream scenario  

44 inches is insane!! 

Think some reports of around 12-15 inches in around 2 hours, really fascinating the amount of energy these systems generate, the southern end produced quite a big tornado for the time of year in Tampa Bay Florida. Also check my snow and ice twitter thread out Japan huge sea effect snow that's what's intriguing me obviously it would be a much less intense version but I imagine if / when we get the cold upper air coming over the north sea could be some intense snow streamers due to the sea temps. 

Stop it...  You tease !

• Like 2

Posted

Northern Japan has had two metres of snow in two days, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Yanks. Meanwhile I'm just back from lunch (industrial turkey dinner,) and can report that although we're still, thankfully, avoiding the seasonal permapish, it's been dull and raw all day.

Temperature 7.4deg.C down from max of 7.8deg.C at midnight and up from min of 6.2deg.C at 05:12, humidity is 89%, wind was gusting to 14mph earlier but now around 0 to 4mph southeasterly, pressure 1005.6hPa falling, there's been 2.4mm of rain today and 6.2mm in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 8/8, which is why it's already dark.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Not been in the mad house today yet as have been away for kitten cuddles. But last night the mood was very downbeat.

We have a name for the kitten now so her she is Bella 

20201217_140159.jpg

20201217_140918.jpg

20201217_140824.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

@Mair Snaw They've now got to the point of discussing how little the charts need to change before predicting sleet in SouthernSoftieLand. It's quite cute really, but not as cute as your new kitten.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Been following the model thread quite closely which is unusual for me, and they’re holding up quite well in the main. Seems that although a cooler or cold spell of some description is likely, the exact outcome in terms of temps, snow and length is very much up in the air.

A trend Im detecting though is that the models aren’t factoring in the big winter storm in the NE US very well, which may well throw everything the models are saying out of kilter, with regards to the output for ourselves next week. The implication I think is that an as yet un predicted wet and windy scenario could reveal itself. I hope not, as I’m looking forward to some crisp weather, and a period of sub zero temps with ice days is a bit overdue. Last one I can recall was Dec 2010.

I’ve always had the impression such spells were a once per decade thing for here - I’m thinking 2010, 2009, 2002(?), 1995, 1987.... 

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 4

Posted
7 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Stop it...  You tease !

After seeing @lorenzo 's post in the strat thread I believe it is he who is the tease

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

After seeing @lorenzo 's post in the strat thread I believe it is he who is the tease

Sounds intriguing, whats the general gist? Should I buy a scarf or speedos?

?

• Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Sounds intriguing, whats the general gist? Should I buy a scarf or speedos?

?

I’ll refer back to my puzzle / Lego terminology everything coming together nicely the building blocks falling into place, not sure if @lorenzo is of the same thinking or if @LomondSnowstorm has had a look at the charts but my thinking currently is things could become interesting as we head through the Christmas- New year week and thereafter from a few areas, ensembles are toying around at the min with the idea of the high in the Atlantic linking up with the one to the east which is forecast to strengthen over the next few weeks somewhere around 1060/1065 hpa and one thing I usually look for is lower pressure either to the south or south west of UK as majority of times this is helpful in trying to get an easterly, basically stops the pattern falling apart so easily with higher pressure inclined to develop to the north of the low - a rough idea these will continue to have adjustments in following runs 13F81D21-E334-46C0-ABDC-0224D9FD6E51.thumb.jpeg.87da5ddd2e43ae8509f444275bc65daa.jpeg9D51976C-EF37-4E80-AE7A-7C3130AECF85.thumb.jpeg.c546006773b98b3e48f180ac2f628768.jpeg32907AA3-39AC-4B39-B988-7FFD84B295B1.thumb.jpeg.b196971f028880b9e2b87eebc37c293c.jpeg

and the other area being the stratosphere which Lorenzo has explained greatly I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of the strat guys on here like Lorenzo tho I understand enough, things becoming increasingly warm up there again through the Christmas- new year week next thing I’m looking for is hopefully the ensembles to start showing the splits in the PV certainly getting closer over the last few days. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Lots of positive sounding posts and charts being posted, but until I see snow falling and settling with my own eyes, and feel the raw wind on my face, I believe nothing.

• Like 9

Posted

The mad house is a happy place at the moment. Can’t help feeling that the boom charts they are getting excited about are always around day 10 though. But to my untrained eye and following some of the more knowledgeable posters, I do get the feeling something is afoot. But like you say @Glaswegianblizzard until the snow if falling, I won’t believe anything!

Back to the here and now, so far it’s another day of gloom, although at least it’s dry. 

• Like 4

Posted

image.gif.ff8c8282810fe968439ee2cce6a223a2.gifimage.thumb.gif.da5cc05f180dbcf20350f667453420da.gifimage.thumb.gif.7d07720671b3f961a13909f09866e11a.gif yeah that would let us see if the North Sea snow machine would indeed be an improved character this year

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Good to see some interesting charts, let’s hope it continues. I want some snow

• Like 6