Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Autumn 2020 onwards

Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm posting pics in the North American thread so the snow pics will go in there when/if I get some rather than cluttering up here.

In the meantime here's part of the "Ethnic" aisle in the local supermarket:

20201208_115752.thumb.jpg.d5a9a1dfc2158efcc5f47c75385a51e9.jpg

Something missing there Catch, will have a word with Boyd the morra when I pop in. 

20200705_123828.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Often felt in the past when I was kid that all this cold rain was natures way of cooling the ground for snow to settle or frost to take a good hold.Now understand its more to do with the clash between tropical air masses and polar air masses and    which one wins the battle.Still feels like the start to an old fashioned winter and as @Kirkcaldy Weathersays above snowfall most likely to occur between Christmas and New year.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Get the pictures in here CMD, we will tell you in due course if we get bored of your Canadian musings

Posted
12 hours ago, Polar Side said:

Evening folks, just wanted to share this wee video which looks to have captured the overhead lightning strike which caused the power surge into my  house and lots of my neighbours, damaging tv’s and other electrical devices. This camera is around 500 yards away but you get a feel for the strength of the strike. The video was pinched from Facebook but thought it was worth stealing .

IMG_1457.MOV 9.29 MB · 5 downloads

Quite incredible! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Howdy folks! Well, after a lovely Sunday and a agonizingly gorgeous Monday with white frost and frozen puddles we are now blanketed by ( the word of the year! ) Permagloom! Temp on Monday never rose above freezing and yesterday we got the dizzy heights oh 6c. Doesn't look like much will change over the next few days, which is a bummer. Anyhoo, walkies later on today with a friend and her doggie. Currently 5.2c and grim. Ah, well!

• Like 6

Posted

Afternoon all,

A bit of brightness in the offing in Pittenweem at the moment. 6c in light winds so not a bad day. Models showing fairly typical winter fare for now - not what most of us on here want to see, of course! I'm relying on @Kirkcaldy Weather to keep us posted on any exciting developments. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Pish again.. and ive just seen im under 72 hour warning ⚠️ for rain and cold rain at that...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
35 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Afternoon all,

A bit of brightness in the offing in Pittenweem at the moment. 6c in light winds so not a bad day. Models showing fairly typical winter fare for now - not what most of us on here want to see, of course! I'm relying on @Kirkcaldy Weather to keep us posted on any exciting developments. 

I picked a brilliant time to escape the mod thread if I’m placing a virtual bet on the situation I’m punting it on the models not dealing well at all with the emerging Arctic High (another puzzle / Lego piece) the positioning and strength could be interesting for us, some trying toward Greenland others just have it meandering around but the big theme is it will help continue the split tropospheric vortex, I’m more inclined for higher pressure around Scandi helping to get that cold air toward us be we will see, like previous cold spells the main thing is keeping a level head it’s typical for the models to go before getting back on track but no doubt the mod thread will remain chaotic. 6B0017DB-D289-46EF-AF48-04428C9698E8.thumb.png.d20e0ee933073b4540d24188b6406215.pngD026C4D9-C9C5-4123-A849-9CCFA3C0EA9C.thumb.png.300d3409d12052a529bf3ae5bab16c4b.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Stay out the mad house, ive just spent 20 mins reading it and my head hurts. Some really long technical posts that i do not understand one bit and then the mention of an Arctic high and then i left... couldnt take anymore..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

8/8 cloud cover this morning but remaining reasonably bright despite that. My county has been moved from Level 4 to Level 3 as from Friday; does that mean I'm allowed snow again?

Temperature 5.1deg.C but max was 5.9deg.C at 03:36 and min was 3.8deg.C at 09:04, which is curious. Humidity 92%, wind 0 to 5mph southeasterly, pressure 1003.1hPa falling and there's been 0.4mm of rain so far today. We seem to have pretty much escaped the days of rain that others have been reporting.

• Like 3

Posted
19 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I’ll likely stick to posting my thoughts in here as the model thread gets panicky far too easily and too many who fail to look at the big picture, currently I would say it’s a bit like building a puzzle.....etc.

The problem in the mad thread seems to be that there are many jigsaw puzzles but, in winter at least, only one lid.

• Like 1

Posted

Misty and murky first thing, then a bit of brightness mid morning, before the Permagloom™ returned with a vengeance at lunchtime.

Currently 4.8c with light winds.

Really need a dry period now, ground is completely saturated so the heavy rain forecast at the end of the week is definitely not welcome.

Snag_10c9459.thumb.png.c33ecd3f12521d8ddb5aff5684c82f66.png

Snag_10cc089.thumb.png.97f176205f6f3d8cafae1daa207551da.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
5 hours ago, Quinach said:

Really need a dry period now, ground is completely saturated so the heavy rain forecast at the end of the week is definitely not welcome

Our garden is on a slope down to the flat of the driveway, then from there down to the road. Water is still oozing from the garden across the driveway down to the road. 

Can't say I've seen much of the weather today, it was damp and misty on the way to work, damp and drizzly on the way back home. Around 4C both ways. 

If we can't have snow at Xmas can we please have dry and sunny. At least that way we'll get out for some walks. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

So very bored of the continuous negative posts and misuse of the word “zonal ” in the mod thread image.gif.9bbbd9f4a756dfbb56826f32d83c4619.gif, models differing so much from day to day can often be an indicator that something is lurking, I’m still most keen on the weekend runs for day 10 timeframe but other things I would say 

Arctic high will continue to make the models struggle but big picture is it helps keep the split TPV

I would say that the lows being modelled toward UK will end up being more negatively tilted ie slider type rather than the deep stormy kind.

I still prefer the idea of high pressure building somewhere around Scandi helping to get the mega cold air out of Siberia

24EA3A21-5E8A-44DF-AC03-FBBDCDB11300.thumb.jpeg.2feabf60199dfc3d378944d2ffff40cc.jpeg image.thumb.gif.57ae68b8f69b2fbe03723a15ab67f101.gif

• Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

So very bored of the continuous negative posts and misuse of the word “zonal ” in the mod thread

Annoying isn't it, a low is modelled for the Atlantic and suddenly its "zonal this, zonal that". Even the worse charts being modelled at the moment are far from our typical zonal fare. OK, so they may not be displaying a wintry Nirvana every run, but they ain't boring. I still think the week running up to Xmas and beyond hold some sort of hope of snow, and as usual living in Scotland will increase the chances. 

• Like 6

Posted

Nice pics @CatchMyDrift. By spring you’ll be sick of it and crave grey skies and drizzle. 

Actually when I was in Toronto I was glad to see the back of winter mostly because of the ice and freezing rain. Shouldn’t be such an issue in Calgary! 

Talking of cloudy skies and drizzle that’s exactly what we have just now in the East Neuk. Breezy and 6c.

• Like 4

Posted

Oh for some of those blue skies....

Back to reality, horrible day of mist/murk/rain with generally all three at the same time.

Fresh breeze as well and a academic high of 6c.

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, Quinach said:

Oh for some of those blue skies....

Given how it currently sounds outside, and the forecast for the next few days, I think I'll soon be craving for a sight of the sun even if that comes with 'mild'. 

Edit: I'm tempted to post the phone number for The Samaritains in the MOD thread this morning. Sheesh, there's people slitting wrists left right and center, they never learn. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted

By the sounds of what’s going on behind my blackout curtains, I’m all set for another day of Aberdeenshire Permagloom and working with the lights on all day. So far this week 49mm of rain and 8.5mm since midnight. Can someone please turn the sky taps off?!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I think I'll hibernate - just need a good stash of sweeties and cake. Haddit wi this winter.

• Like 3

Posted
15 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

"Send us pics"

she said

"ban him" 

she said 

Ah. Your confusion with the apparent dichotomy above can only be explained by acknowledging the inclusion in each case of the word "she". As someone who has recently relocated to be with your girlfriend, you'd better get used to it and adapt accordingly.

Temperature 6.9deg.C down from a max of 7.1deg.C at 01:49 and up from a min of 6.1deg.C at 05:04, humidity 96%, wind 0 to 10mph northwesterly, pressure 985.2hPa rising, rainfall today totals 3.8mm and cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Sanserit said:

I’m all set for another day of Aberdeenshire Permagloom and working with the lights on all day. 

Indeed, even had to put the lights on in the south facing rooms.

Grim outside with intermittent light rain in a cold strong SE wind and Permagloom™ apparently ranging from PANTONE 441 C to PANTONE 18-0403 TPX going by the colorimeter (its been a boring morning).

The one good thing is that the rain is nowhere near as heavy as the Met Office forecasted.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 1